A Small Hoarde

I'm thinning out the herd and have picked out pens that I have bought in the past that have been part of single and bulk buys on ebay, at auctions and various shops etc. Below the picture I will give - as far as I am able - a detailed and honest description of the pens. Please note, some of them need attention, some of them are possibly only for parts and some are decent and working. Basically (and I hope this is permitted on this forum and if not I am happy for it to be removed) I want to give all of them away in one go - lazy, I know, but it saves me postage and a headache - but I would like to swap them all for something (maybe one working pen) and I am open to any offers but I will not accept money. You can post an offer here, or PM me. I will give it seven days before I decide which offer to accept which should give all interested parties a chance to respond to the offer.

Ideally I would like the pens to go to someone who will use them and restore the ones that need attention. I bought some of them specifically to restore and to my shame, never got around to it.

fpn_1431714103__dsc_0243.jpg

Ok, now the hard part of describing all these pens!

1. On the top left we have a slim brushed metal Parker with black plastic ends. It is a cartridge filler. I have no idea of the nib size, but it looks like it might be a medium. Needs a bit of clean and has some scratching on the side of the barrel. Working. Has no converter. 5.5 inches capped

2.Beside it on the top right is a Welsharp Peter Pan in black with white metal furniture which was at one time 14K gold plated - sadly it no longer is. It has been.... 'well loved' I think is the term. Someone has had a chew on the end of the barrel and it has a few dinges and scratches. The lever filler mechanism is in working order and the nib seems smooth and good. It is a screw cap and needs a new sac. The remnants of the old sac - what's left of it - are still shellacked onto the section, but it does seem to want to crumble off with ease. I bought this to restore, but shortly afterwards stumbled on a fully restored Salz Bros one. 3.5 inched capped

3. Below these two pens at the top is an E Faber USA lever filler (more green than it looks in the picture) with brass furniture which was likely plated with white metal at some point. It is a striped celluloid/plastic (suspect it is plain old plastic) with a screw cap domed top and black plastic grip. It has what appears to be a gold plated (I cannot be certain) nib that is as stiff as a nail with some very shonky engraving that says 'SPECIAL IRIDIUM PEN'. May be a medium. It is working, with a sac and nicely sprung lever. It's a very light weight pen. 5 inches capped.

Working from left to right with the vertically arranged pens.

4. Another one bought with intent to restore; this is a Hartman lever filler that looks somewhat similar to a Vacumatic's pattern in brown and auburn, but it's not nearly as refined as the Vacumatics. The nib is marked 'Hartman's 2' and appeared to be a very fine nib. Feels ok, but I haven't tested it with ink. The pen needs a new sack and there is some 'greening' of the brass in the inside of the screw cap. Both ends of the pen have machined steel tips - no jewels. The lever mechanism is a bit stiff and may need attention. 4.5 inches capped

5. This pen is something of a mystery. It's a Parker USA but I have no idea of the model. It has what I would describe as an army camo pattern which I am sure in its day was much brighter and better. The pen has black plastic ends and grip. The furniture is a little tired. The pen is a button filler (hidden by the black blind cap) with a new sac and it works well. The nib is good and I am fairly certain it is gold plated (medium-fine) as there is a small patch of what looks like a shine of steel. It's not quite a nail; there is some spring to the nib but certainly not soft. 5 inches capped.

6. Next up is an Eversharp in a lovely ice blue and black celluloid/plastic. The furniture is white metal plated, but the clip has all the brass exposed but it's succession of V's are all nicely imprinted. It is a lever filler screw cap with a black plastic grip. It has been re-sacked and the lever is nicely sprung and working well. It has an unusually long grip with a nib that looks a little small for this size of pen. The nib is inscribed 'Eversharp' and looks to my eye like a fine, possibly an extra-fine. Nicely balanced pen when posted with a crisp 'EVERSHARP Made In England' imprint on the barrel. I like the pen, but not the nib; I find it has far too much feedback and scratch for me to enjoy it and I'm not sure I would get enough use out of it if I had it adjusted. Ever so slightly under 5 inches capped.

7. This is a lizard green E Faber USA. If the furniture ever had plating it is long gone. The clip is slightly sprung which irritates me every time I look at it and the lever for the lever filler mechanism is very loose. It has very slim, flat, black plastic ends and a black plastic grip. The sac has hardened to resemble something rude. Steel nibbed, probably a fine that feels like it will write well and has a creature engraved on it that looks like it was conceived on the island of Dr Moreau - I think it's supposed to be a cat, Just shy of 5 inches capped.

8. Hero 616 in black with a silver cap. It is a squeeze filler, works well. Ink window and a very fine nib - writes well. Quite a light pen. Bought as part of a lot. Looks like a Parker 51, but it most certainly isn't. 5.5 inches capped

9. Another Hero 616 in racing green, same as above, although this one has a nib only satan could enjoy. I haven't attempted to smooth it.

10. Strange little Japanese plunge filler in a natural wood look that I think dates to the 1940's/50's. The very slim silver band at the base of the cap has become loose and slips off regularly. It has a black plastic grip and sadly does not draw ink - the plunger needs work. It has black plastic ends and is quite nice looking (to me anyway!). This has a steel flex nib. It is easier to flex than an Ahab, but I have never pushed it too hard for fear of springing it. It's not exactly smooth, but it's not bad either and the flex is quite nice. The nib is engraved with 'Order No. 4 Iridium Tipped Pen'. I have used this pen by dipping. No scratches, dents or chew marks. 5 inches capped.

11. Sheaffer.....Lifetime Balance (?). This is a black Sheaffer with gold coloured furniture and the distinctive white dot. It is a light, small and elegant pen with a green tinted ink window and screw cap. Now for the sad bit. It is a plunge filler, but does not draw ink. The nib is engraved Sheaffer Lifetime and I think it was a fine and is two-tone. I suspect the previous owner attempted to write on a brick as the nib is badly damaged and the tines are seriously misaligned. Has light scratches you would expect for a pen of this age, but no dents, dinges or teeth marks. Barrel engraving reads 'W A Sheaffer Pen Co. Fort Madison, Iowa, USA, Made in USA'. This is an elegant pen that deserves some loving attention. 5.1 inches capped.

12. I'm not even sure if this is a pen! It has no feed, nib or sac. It is a barrel and a screw cap with black plastic ends with two white metal bands at the cap base. It has a working button filler mechanism, however the curious thing is that towards the end of the black grip the opening where the feed and nib should go is incredibly narrow. There are signs of ink. The celluloid resembles something my cat would cough up and a texture to match - it feels oddly lumpy. I think it is meant to resemble marble. I bought this as part of a lot, had no idea what to do with it then, still have no idea - hopefully someone here will know what to do with it. 4.25 inches capped

13. This is an FPR piston filling demonstrator but I can't recall the model. It has a stiff, steel medium nib and the piston mechanism has more grease than a chip van on a Friday night. White metal furniture, works fine but holds surprisingly little ink for a piston filler.5.2 inches capped

14. Another Hero 616 in green with a silver cap. The clip is veering to one side for some reason and the nib would easily get a role in a horror film. Length as above, No. 8

15, Another Hero 616 in black with silver cap. All fine except nib which feels quite scratchy. Length as No. 8

16. A pen that needs love. The cream yellow marble celluloid with dark brown and red veining has dulled considerably. It has white metal furniture, quite scratched and the cap end looks like it has been eaten away by something or chipped away. Black plastic ends and grip. Button filler (hidden by black end blind cap) needs attention and new sac. Nib is engraved 'Platignum 1st Quality, M' and is stiff as a nail and very scratchy - tines appear misaligned. Very tiny feed and slim nib in steel. 5 inches capped.

17. Serwex Piston Filler that has been stained with Yama Budo. Gold coloured furniture, back plastic ended demonstrator with a medium FPR nib. Also has more grease than a chip van on a Friday night in the piston mechanism; smells funny too. Works fine, writes ok but very, very stiff. Holds remarkably little ink. 5.1 inches capped.

18. Fellowship 78G eyedropper from India in grey with gold coloured furniture.Screw cap with gold coloured nib that looks like a fine or just short of medium engraved with the word 'fellowship' and two little birdies. I have never used this pen. It is very slim, small and light. 5 inches capped.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Uncial

• sombrueil

• fountainpagan

• rishminder

well beautifully described

count me in.. i have already started making plans for the restoration of these pens

Number 13 is a Guru. Unfortunately I don't have anything suitable I can offer in trade, I hope you find something worthwihle!

I'm interested in the E Fabers - I've been trying to find a decent Faber nib to match with a gorgeous body I have lying around (sans nib). Any chance I could prevail on you to break the group up? If not, I would also restore the others and find homes for them.

No. 1 is a Parker vector if not mistaken. I'm kinda new to fountain pen collection so I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to offer any pens to trade now. :/

No. 1 is a Parker vector if not mistaken. I'm kinda new to fountain pen collection so I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to offer any pens to trade now. :/

That it is, thank you.

I'm interested in the E Fabers - I've been trying to find a decent Faber nib to match with a gorgeous body I have lying around (sans nib). Any chance I could prevail on you to break the group up? If not, I would also restore the others and find homes for them.

I'd prefer not to break it up to be honest. If you won them, it is of course up to you what you do with them, but I would like to see them restored, used and loved.

This would be so awesome because I just started teaching myself to repair/restore fountain pens. Sadly, I don't have much to trade except a few Sheaffer Cartridge Pens and a Wearever Taperite.

"Science fiction is an existential metaphor, that allows us to tell stories about the human condition. Isaac Asimov once said: 'Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

So, tomorrow is the big day we bring this to a close. If you would like to be included you can list an offer here or pm me. I think the fairest way to do it is to put your name beside your offer and stick it in a bag. Obviously, the more different offers the more times your name goes into the hat, which might seem a little unbalanced, but we can let fate decide.

Thanks again to all who have expressed interest.

I'd really like to have the Parker button-filler, and the FPR Guru demonstrator piston-filler.

Make an offer and you could have al of them!

Since I did not get a PM, I did not get it.

Thank you Unical for a nice PiF.

Congrats to the winner.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Since I did not get a PM, I did not get it.

Thank you Unical for a nice PiF.

Congrats to the winner.

Ummm.....you might want to check your messages :)

I would be curious to hear how the restoration of the Japanese Eyedropper went, and offer some advice.

President, Big Apple Pen Club

Follow us on Instagram @big_apple_pen_club

"Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery."

J.J. Lax Pen Co.

www.jjlaxpenco.comOn Instagram: @jjlaxpenco

Yes, the winner was ac12 and the swap was for a working Sheaffer 440.

Thank you again to all who expressed an interest, the package is in flight