Ahab: Replacement Converter?

NewPenMan

I don't see any hint that replacement converters are available (after a google search).

of course..there's always eyedroppering.. any clues about ahab replacement converters?

Thank you!

Franklin-Christoph Stabilis 66 and Pocket 40: both with Matsuyama CI | Karas Kustoms Aluminum, Daniel Smith CI | Italix Parson's Essential and Freshman's Notator | Pilot Prera | Pilot Metropolitan | Lamy Safari, 1.1mm italic | Muji "Round Aluminum Pen" | Waterman Phileas | Noodler's Konrad | Nemosine Singularity 0.6mm stub | ASA Nauka, acrylic and ebonite | Gama Hawk | Wality Airmail | Noodlers Ahab | TWSBI GO | Noodlers Charlie | Pilot Plumix |

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• THRobinson

• NewPenMan

• Memory

• KBeezie

I've never seen them sold by themselves. You could probably contact someone who sells Noodler's pens, like Goulet Pen Company, and ask if they could special order just a converter for you!

You would likely have to contact the retailer, or Noodler's (or their distributor), particularly if you think a warranty replacement qualifies. They never sold them separately, much like how up until recently, the flex nib nor the feed were separately available.

It's akin to expecting the pen makers to make the section or grip available separately. Also I don't think the Ahab's piston is really considered a 'converter' unless you mean to convert it from an ED pen to a piston filling pen.

First of all, there is NO "Converter" associated with the Noodler's Ahab, it is a push-type piston-filler.

So what are you trying to do?

So sorry for getting the terms wrong, but thank you so much for setting things straight. Otherwise, I thought my post was pretty clear.

Cheers!

Franklin-Christoph Stabilis 66 and Pocket 40: both with Matsuyama CI | Karas Kustoms Aluminum, Daniel Smith CI | Italix Parson's Essential and Freshman's Notator | Pilot Prera | Pilot Metropolitan | Lamy Safari, 1.1mm italic | Muji "Round Aluminum Pen" | Waterman Phileas | Noodler's Konrad | Nemosine Singularity 0.6mm stub | ASA Nauka, acrylic and ebonite | Gama Hawk | Wality Airmail | Noodlers Ahab | TWSBI GO | Noodlers Charlie | Pilot Plumix |

• 3 months later...

Ever have any luck with this?

Mine had a 'mishap' and although works, I'd like to replace it as well. I see Goulet has the rubber piston rings... no piston.

Edited by THRobinson

LAMY Al Star (Limited Ed. Copper Orange) w/ Noodler's Apache Sunset

LAMY Safari (Black) w/ Noodler's Black (Bulletproof)

LAMY Safari (Red) w/ Noodler's Eel Rattler Red

Noodler's Ahab (Clear Demonstrator) Used for Testing Inks

Parker Urban (London Cab Black) w/ Diamine Red Dragon

Parker Reflex (Green Pearl) w/ J.Herbin's Poussiere de Lune

Me? No. ..I was going too revisit eyedroppering the Ahabs. I dunno whether an email to goulet, et al, would reveal any helpful info about spare parts or not. .

Edited by NewPenMan

First of all, there is NO "Converter" associated with the Noodler's Ahab, it is a push-type piston-filler.

So what are you trying to do?

Actually, a removeable screw-in ink chamber IS a converter.

Never seen them for sale anywhere. I once got a cracked one and Goulet pens sent me a spare they had.

They do make nice eyedroppers. Just grease the threads with silicone grease and you are good to go.

I use my Ahab as an ink tester pen so, never gets filled beyond half the converter/piston/ink-tube-thing... I don't know about the OP, but, that's why I never considered an eyedropper.

I have a clear demonstrator, great for testing ink because easy/fast to clean, and flex nib so can see inks at varying widths and such.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, emailed Goulet, they suggested email Noodler's... no response.

I'm thinking maybe buy one of those eBay Kan-Write pens, since essentially the same pen, and using it at spare parts.

I know the Ahab has custom/hand machines feeds, but other than that and the stamp on the nib, everything else is the same, correct? section and piston? Might save $5-10CAD getting the non-Noodler's version.

I don't see any hint that replacement converters are available (after a google search).

of course..there's always eyedroppering.. any clues about ahab replacement converters?

Thank you!

Funny enough, the threads on one of mine have kind of mushed up. I've had success with jamming an international cartridge (I use the long ones) in the hole instead. It's a nice snug fit. Mine has yet to leak or fall off. :)

Alternatively, you may want to try something like the ingenious SNAK has done here

Does Noodler's even have a warranty? I mean the site doesn't even have the actual contact of the company, only the distributor and retailers.

• 2 weeks later...

Good question, not sure if warranty or not... though, been a few weeks since I asked about replacement pistons and thinking the lack of response means it's a no go. :)

Well, mine still works, so, maybe I'll grab another Ahab and use mine as parts, or one of those Kan-Writes from eBay and use it as parts. Shame they don't seem to make them anymore. Was after a Coral Sea Ahab or Konrad for a long while... finally gave up. Emailed them many months ago, they said to expect to see new stock/production very soon, but, 4-5 months later I'm thinking it's either not happening, or we have different views on 'soon'. :D

Saw one used on eBay but, almost no coral swirl to it so passed.

• 2 years later...

I stated here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/266174-the-plunger-of-the-ahab-how-to-stop-ink-from-entering-it/

Includes the new 'cartridge' #18070 they sell for it and the link is: http://noodlersink.com/nibs-and-accessories/ As for my thoughts on how it may work, I don't know first hand, but my thoughts on it are below (uninformed as they are)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love my Ahab Flex Pearl (Jade) also... I use it most for grocery lists, notes to self, general kitchen/barn use; or basically it's my No. 2 pencil of sorts that never leaves the kitchen counter top but for filling/cleaning and when I foresee writing in the garage. It's dependable, flows well, and if something happens to it, I'll not be too upset. (Besides it would be an excuse to order some more ink -wink-!

As for the piston: I use Noddler's Heart of Darkness all the time, so I haven't changed inks in it; and besides the HoD is a 4.5 oz 'bullet-proof' and I'm sure it wouldn't come completely clean from any converter. Check Noodler's web-site, they aren't even billing the piston for the Ahab any longer as a replacement (though those already manufactured have them). The new cartridge for the Ahab is stock #18070 an seen near the top here http://noodlersink.com/nibs-and-accessories/

Now, yes it looks like a 'cartridge' instead of a 'converter' of common mind's eye but priming a flex nib is super easy and so I think it's worth the shot... my 2¢

Semper Fidelis, Shannon

Semper Fidelis, Shannon

me@1791thinkshop.com

'Smooth is Fast, Fast is Smooth'

Have you tried the 308 screw in converters that have a lid? The scewed in lid will attach to the bottom of the converter, and then it screws in just like the plunger converter. Like others, I haven't seen the screw in plunger converter on its own, but the 308 screw in cartridge is usually a 5 pack for $10. I love this system because I look to do ink reviews with my Ahab too. My favorite ink of the moment will stay in the refillable cartridge, I rinse the nib, and then I add the ink sample to a new cartridge.

Here's a link to the product at Goulet, although you can get it on other sites and eBay as well:

https://www.gouletpens.com/noodlers-308-refillable-cartridges/p/N18070

Let me know if you have any questions about them!

Actually, it just occurred to me that I wouldn't mind mailing you one of my piston type converters since I never them use them. I'd just ask that you pay for shipping since I'm really tight on funds right now. If you're interested, just PM me with your address and your paypal information, and I'll mail it to you :)