Converter Or Re-Use Cartridge?

penxade

I prefer refilling cartridges. I have a box full of empty internationals. I've been using the same two Lamy carts for three years, and they're still not leaking. I think its because the nipple is reinforced in a way.

I've also been using the same Pilot cartridge just as long. Those ones will last forever as long as you don't squeeze them (a bad idea for any type of cartridge, really: you're asking for it to split). Pilot carts can also be swabbed out with a wet q-tip, to get them nice and clean.

I've loved Sheaffer pens since I was a small child, but they should be ashamed of the apcray converter they sell. It's just rubbish.

Edited to pig latin-ize my terrible, terrible cuss word.

Edited by wastelanded
"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• penxade

• Bo Bo Olson

• Phormula

• KBeezie

I am not a big fan of converters. I've reused the same cartridge in a couple of my pens since last August and refilled with ink at least twice a week. I find them much less trouble than converters and they hold a lot of ink.

about 0.4ml in a standard cartridge

If I'm not wrong, 0.75-0.80 ml is a more accurate measurement for those cartridges.

Greetings

For my travel pens I use cartridges or converters.

I prefer to avoid the mess of re-filling and sealing cartridges to make them transportable.

I literally fell in love with the Visconti Travel Inkwell, because I can bring it with me (it has been tested over 50 airplane flights by now) and I can quickly refill a converter on the go.

So far the only converters that gave me trouble are the very cheap ones, like the one that came with my Monteverde Invincia.

Don't take life too seriously

Nobody makes it out alive anyway

Cheers. I see, I'll definitely use a converter then. Thanks for the answer. How's your hand recovering?

The hand is as good as it will get. On a bad day, I simply have to use pens with a larger diameter section (such as modern Onoto Magna or CS100 - such a hardship :) ), and for a long writing session on these days, I might write out both pens.

That's the great thing about pens - there is a pen out there for everyone, and a huge variety of choices. In over 40 years of using fountain pens, I've only had one convertor fail on me.

I just find convertors quicker than messing around refilling cartridges, but if you need the slighty larger capacity of a cartridge, then go for it.

By the way, if you are using Parker cartridges, Aurora cartridges (much nicer black ink) will also fit your pens and have the same capacity as the Parker ones.

Lamy cartridges also fit most Parker and Aurora pens (unofficial compatibility).

The other way round is not true.

Edited by Phormula

I prefer a converter, because I change out my ink rather frequently. I suppose I could do that with a cartridge, but it's not worth trying.

I just find convertors quicker than messing around refilling cartridges, but if you need the slighty larger capacity of a cartridge, then go for it.

For me it's the opposite. :) I've never used converters because that means carrying around a bottle of ink, dipping the whole nib into the bottle, filling via twisting/pulling/etc. the converter mechanism (possibly multiple times to ensure a complete fill), and wiping the nib clean before use. A cartridge on the other hand is pull out the old one, push in the new one, and you're done. And IMO spare cartridges are easier to carry around than bottled ink (which is larger and could potentially break).

Edit: Oh, *refilling* cartridges. Yes, I'd probably just stick with a converter, too. But I still think cartridges are easier than converters.

I prefer a converter, because I change out my ink rather frequently. I suppose I could do that with a cartridge, but it's not worth trying.

I'm curious to know why you think that. If anything, I would expect changing inks with cartridges to be easier because you only need to clean the nib and feed, not the converter, and as noted above, I find replacing cartridges faster than refilling a converter.

As for the original topic, I've read about refilling cartridges, but haven't done it myself. I view them as expendable, so I just get new ones when the old ones run out. I suppose you could refill cartridges, as long as you're careful not to mix ink colors and ensure the cartridge fits properly each time (I expect it will loosen its grip after enough reuses).

Edited by Dronak

I prefer refilling cartridges. I have a box full of empty internationals. I've been using the same two Lamy carts for three years, and they're still not leaking. I think its because the nipple is reinforced in a way.

I've also been using the same Pilot cartridge just as long. Those ones will last forever as long as you don't squeeze them (a bad idea for any type of cartridge, really: you're asking for it to split). Pilot carts can also be swabbed out with a wet q-tip, to get them nice and clean.

I've loved Sheaffer pens since I was a small child, but they should be ashamed of the apcray converter they sell. It's just rubbish.

Edited to pig latin-ize my terrible, terrible cuss word.

Thanks for the reply. Will the Pilot cartridge seriously last that long if you're nice to them?

Thanks for the reply. Will the Pilot cartridge seriously last that long if you're nice to them?

There's no nipple to wear out: since the end of the cartridge is open, there's nothing to wear out if the cartridge isn't stressed by squeezing it.

Other than the CON-70, I prefer Pilot's cartridges to their converters.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

I must be nearly alone out here on the planet "Converter." I don't refill cartridges - too much junk to keep about my desk at work. I simply use converters and bottled ink. When or if a converter fails, I just reach into my parts box and pull out a spare. Yes. . . spare. I just keep a few extra converters around and when one fails, I just toss it into the bin and install another. They are consumable supplies, not rare pen parts.

I'm curious to know why you think that. If anything, I would expect changing inks with cartridges to be easier because you only need to clean the nib and feed, not the converter, and as noted above, I find replacing cartridges faster than refilling a converter.

For me one of the joys of fountain pens is the availability of such a wide variety of inks, and I like to change them as often as I am able. I usually use the Ink Drop samples, (after making my swatches) and when they run out I change the ink. It is not so much a question of convenience, but cost for one (removing the cartridge after a week or so), ink limitations (not all bottled inks are available in cartridge form), and speed is never an issue. I really do enjoy doting over my pens.

I must be nearly alone out here on the planet "Converter." I don't refill cartridges - too much junk to keep about my desk at work. I simply use converters and bottled ink. When or if a converter fails, I just reach into my parts box and pull out a spare. Yes. . . spare. I just keep a few extra converters around and when one fails, I just toss it into the bin and install another. They are consumable supplies, not rare pen parts.

No, you are not alone, I do the same at home and at the office for all my pens that are not piston fillers.

Over the years, I have limited the use of cartridges to travelling, especially by plane.

I find filling converters from bottles of ink much more convenient that using refilled cartridges.

Converters are inexpensive & easily replaced.

Occasionally I will pop in a Kiwa-Guro cart for an intense, water resistant black (I have no bottled black ink in my stash).

Sailor's Jentle Blue/Black cartridges go with me on the road (or air).

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

Some cartridges, from Wearever for example, have to be reused. If anyone knows of other ones that might fit, please let me know.

Edited by Zookie

I prefer cartridges for my Pilot pens too. I got a box of 6 Pilot cartridges for $2, and took the ink out with a syringe into a sample vial (close to 6ml total) and cleaned the cartridges. I figure 6 cartridges will last a while...

I use both techniques. Like the long cartridges ink capacities over converters. A Parker cartridge easily old for 12-15 refills. But cartridges can worn out too. My first Parker Deluxe converter is got broke after a 1.5 year intense usage. I prefer fine, maybe medium nibs, so capacity isn't a problem for me. A cartridge can be cleaned just as easily as a converter. Having access for cheap syringe isn't a problem too, so sometimes I even fill the converters with syringe. With that I can play more in the safe side for keeping my inks sterile as possible.

Just started to use long international cartridge, so I can't comment it's longevity, but definitely a cheap solution to extend a Montblanc pen ink capacity. Especially if its cartridge only, but a long international cartridge can fit.

The opening of the cartridge with caulk? wouldn't just be just as inexpensive or cheaper to grab another 6-pack of pilot carts and empty one out?

I believe she meant to seal the opening after filling, in order to carry a re-filled cartridge around. I was doing that for a while with Cross cartridges, filling 5 at a time and then sealing the opening with hot glue. The hot glue blob flicks off cleanly and easily when it's time to use the cartridge.

I admit I haven't tried re-sealing the wider Pilot cartridges, only the various types with smaller openings.

Platinum cartridges are the only ones I've had trouble with, the opening neck cracking after a short period of use. Other brands seem to last until I think they look too stained and cruddy to re-use any more.

I believe she meant to seal the opening after filling, in order to carry a re-filled cartridge around. I was doing that for a while with Cross cartridges, filling 5 at a time and then sealing the opening with hot glue. The hot glue blob flicks off cleanly and easily when it's time to use the cartridge.

I admit I haven't tried re-sealing the wider Pilot cartridges, only the various types with smaller openings.

Platinum cartridges are the only ones I've had trouble with, the opening neck cracking after a short period of use. Other brands seem to last until I think they look too stained and cruddy to re-use any more.

Just put a piece of duct tape on and hot glue outside.

Edited by fly_us