Why I Hate Mb

4lex

They have quite a way to go yet. M800 £290, M600 £220 while the 146 is a wopping £470. I have a 146 and it is a great pen but it is not worth £470 when the M800 is, some say, a better pen for only 61% the price of the Le Grand.

Isn't retail for the M800 closer to £350? in the US from what i've found, the retail price of the M800 is 715$ which is actually more than the 705$ for a legrand in Montblancs online store, now you can buy an M800 for less than retail quite easier than a Montblanc but the price difference at least in the US is not as big as the UK, and i wonder how it is in other markets.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4lex

• Matlock

• meiers

• FredRydr

Isn't retail for the M800 closer to £350? in the US from what i've found, the retail price of the M800 is 715$ which is actually more than the 705$ for a legrand in Montblancs online store, now you can buy an M800 for less than retail quite easier than a Montblanc but the price difference at least in the US is not as big as the UK, and i wonder how it is in other markets.

A lot depends on VAT, import duties etc. I can only speak for the UK. I can buy a pen from some countries for a lot less than in the UK but when you add postage and VAT/Duties the difference is very small.

Peter

Have you considered a 147 Traveler? Same style, same ergonomics, same nib, but the piston is replaced by no-muss, no-fuss cartridges. Granted, you don't have as much ink capacity or color choice (unless you fill your own carts) but you gain security against "accidents" like you described.

Edited by JLS1

My 146 cost $200 + $100 for trip to MB to get restored to good as new. So after spending total $300 it cost me less than my M600. What's the issue?

Nothing beats a 146 or a 149.

There is no need to pay the MSRP.

I have a 146 and a 149. I also have M800 and M1000. My 146 (monotone nib) is a much better writer than my M800 but, against that, is the lack of interchangable nibs and a far poorer piston system. With the 149/M1000 there is no comparison, the M1000 is a far better pen in every way. I am, however, still a great fan of Montblanc pens.

As far as MSRP that is true, but it is also true with Pelikan.

We all have our favourite pen makers and, just because I think Pelikans are better than Montblanc, doesn't mean you have to agree. Clearly you believe that MB is the best and that is how it should be. It would be a terrible world if we all liked the same things.

Peter

I like Pelikan too. Have several of them and would agree no one can match their piston system, and the interchangeability of the nibs is great. I love my M200 with F, M, Italic, and semi flex nibs I can use. Other brands can learn from Pelikan. The M600 piston mechanism on mine is smoooooooth! The smoothest Ive ever encountered.

In my experience so far between the two fountain pen titans (MB and Pelikan), I think the MB has the edge in the nib department over the Pelikan. There is nothing wrong with the Pelikan nibs, but I find the MB just has more character. I find myself reaching for my 145 and 146 more often than the m400 and m600. I also prefer the more rounded lines of the Meisterstuck over the Souverans sharper more abrupt lines.

This is all based on my limited experience of course, MB 145, 146 vs Pelikan M400, M600. Dont have the 149 or M1000 yet to comment on.

Edited by max dog

There is nothing wrong with the Pelikan nibs, but I find the MB just has more character. I find myself reaching for my 145 and 146 more often than the m400 and m600. This is based on my limited experience of course, MB 145, 146 vs Pelikan M400, M600. Dont have the 149 or M1000 yet to comment on.

I agree with you as far as the 146 is concerned, but my 146 is fairly early one with a fantastic monotone nib. The early M400s and especially the 400s leave any MB nib standing.

The M1000 is a far better pen than the 149 and the nib is wonderful but, as usual, YMMV.

Edited by Matlock

Peter

I agree with you as far as the 146 is concerned, but my 146 is fairly early one with a fantastic monotone nib. The early M400s and especially the 400s leave any MB nib standing.

The M1000 is a far better pen than the 149 and the nib is wonderful but, as usual, YMMV.

Well I am just glad Montblanc and Pelikan continue to produce the remarkable pens they do. I am sure my Pelikan and Monblanc collection will continue to grow.

I am sure my Pelikan and Monblanc collection will continue to grow.

Same here, but my wallet is not so sure :)

Peter

Pelikan manufactures wonderful pens. My first pen collection was made up exclusively of two Pelikans. That was in the 1980's. Unfortunately - - living in Winnipeg in the dark ages before the Internet and the FPN-- I had no idea whom to turn to for service or advice when the pistons got sticky and eventually failed. Being an impatient character I threw them away. I know that decision doesn't reflect well on me. But I had to learn to live with that foolish mistake.

The demonstrators that Pelikan has just released look very tempting. Do I deserve a second chance? I am not sure. :)

My Montblanc journey began with a 144R that my wife gave me in 1991. For Christmas.

Everyone's fountain pen journey is different.

Edited by meiers

Pelikan manufactures wonderful pens. My first pen collection was made up exclusively of two Pelikans. That was in the 1980's. Unfortunately - - living in Winnipeg in the dark ages before the Internet and the FPN-- I had no idea whom to turn to for service or advice when the pistons got sticky and eventually failed. Being an impatient character I threw them away.

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o ***Crowd Gasp*** :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Eh, my husband knocked his 149 on the floor and broke the barrel. He picked it up and was in the process of throwing it away when I came across him doing so. He didn't know it but I told him he could have it repaired (he also didn't know how expensive they were, and that was a factor). He was innocent, and I took care of that! ;)

Edited by Fabienne

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o ***Crowd Gasp*** :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Eh, my husband knocked his 149 on the floor and broke the barrel. He picked it up and was in the process of throwing it away when I came across him doing so. He didn't know it but I told him he could have it repaired (he also didn't know how expensive they were, and that was a factor). He was innocent, and I took care of that! ;)

At the time I had no wife to look out for me. It was just me and my bad judgement. :( Edited by meiers

My 146 cost $200 + $100 for trip to MB to get restored to good as new. So after spending total $300 it cost me less than my M600. What's the issue?

Did the same for my 149 off ebay. At a slightly steeper price grade for purchase and trip to HQ.

Thanks for suggestions. I found Sailor Realo on Engeika for US$234. I guess with customs it will be $270. But it is true that sailor nibs have a different feel. Not that I am an expert, I only tried Hard Broad and Naginata Togi.

I think tho I will wait with the Realo purchase. I have three pens on the way and I need to book some holidays.

Inked: Sailor King Pro Gear, Sailor Nagasawa Proske, Sailor 1911 Standard, Parker Sonnet Chiselled Carbon, Parker 51, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Preppy

Thanks for suggestions. I found Sailor Realo on Engeika for US$234. I guess with customs it will be $270. But it is true that sailor nibs have a different feel. Not that I am an expert, I only tried Hard Broad and Naginata Togi.

I think tho I will wait with the Realo purchase. I have three pens on the way and I need to book some holidays.

You can take your pens on vacation.

You can take your pens on vacation.

I can if FP purchases will leave enough in my holidays budget.

Inked: Sailor King Pro Gear, Sailor Nagasawa Proske, Sailor 1911 Standard, Parker Sonnet Chiselled Carbon, Parker 51, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Preppy

Pen is on its way to Hamburg... For a modest cost of 56 pounds will be repaired. I guess I just needed to vent a bit.

Second the advice to check the pen on its return. £56 is good value for a repair and service, but when my Fitzgerald came back the nib was dented. To MB's credit they of course repaired it again, but shouldn't have happened ......

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

Whereabouts in London are you? I have a Realo you can try if you like ...... I work near London Bridge. Edited by bbs

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

I happened upon a mint, stickered, early 1980's, in box 146 at an estate sale recently.

It set me back $25. I like it well enough, but I would never have paid current retail or even the $300-$350 similar pens go for on ebay. At another sale, I picked up a 144 (Classique?) for twenty-five cents. It was in a mug full of pencils and cheap ballpoints. Nice pens, but nothing special, imho.

Best,

Daniel