Why I Hate Mb

4lex

Would you like us to help you with your feelings or your pen?

Pen is on its way to Hamburg... For a modest cost of 56 pounds will be repaired. I guess I just needed to vent a bit.

Inked: Sailor King Pro Gear, Sailor Nagasawa Proske, Sailor 1911 Standard, Parker Sonnet Chiselled Carbon, Parker 51, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Preppy

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4lex

• Matlock

• meiers

• FredRydr

If you actually read what he wrote it says nothing about a piston leaking. And if you actually read the instructions that come with a Montblanc pen you ill find that they address the issue of overfilling by recommending the user eject three or four drops of ink and then draw the excess ink back from the feed into the body.

RTFM.

If you actually read what I wrote I say nothing about piston leaking when I referred to Peter Twydle. Just that the piston has a design flaw.

I am aware of MB advice on ejecting some drops of ink but I don't think that is because of the flooding and more with not wasting the ink.

Inked: Sailor King Pro Gear, Sailor Nagasawa Proske, Sailor 1911 Standard, Parker Sonnet Chiselled Carbon, Parker 51, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Preppy

I have a lot of respect for Peter and have dealt with him on several occasions. Highly recommended but he is not a Montblanc man so the comments he made in the book are not that surprising.

Peter

Pen is on its way to Hamburg... For a modest cost of 56 pounds will be repaired. I guess I just needed to vent a bit.

Now when the pen comes back. Check it. If it all is as good as new. Put it up for sale and buy another pen.

DONE & DONE

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

Is being dismissive of another person really the best you can do? This tells very little about me, and a lot about you.

No, but it is what your post deserved. It says very little about me, but you are entitled to your opinion.

Since the reader must often supply their own tone to written content, unless there are written clues that are fairly translucent, it was easy to take your comments as I did. If you intended them as a vent, it would have been helpful to say so. Sarcasm is not an easy read.

I hope you enjoy all of your pens well into the future.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Maintenance on good pens and watches is a part of my budgetary considerations, and the car and cat as well.

Hopefully never needed but sometimes is, most often my fault on the pens and watches needing repair.

No, but it is what your post deserved. It says very little about me, but you are entitled to your opinion.

Since the reader must often supply their own tone to written content, unless there are written clues that are fairly translucent, it was easy to take your comments as I did. If you intended them as a vent, it would have been helpful to say so. Sarcasm is not an easy read.

I hope you enjoy all of your pens well into the future.

Same to you. Being on occasion frustrated with FP is for me part of the charm. Life is easy with Bic crystal but very boring as well.

Same to you. Being on occasion frustrated with FP is for me part of the charm. Life is easy with Bic crystal but very boring as well.

Frustration, mess, odd looks, friends who think you are off... all part of the enjoyment for me (and maybe you too).

I find that those Bic pens tend to hurt my hands after a while as I develop a death grip. I try to avoid writing with them and other non FPs, except the occasional pencil.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I am aware of MB advice on ejecting some drops of ink but I don't think that is because of the flooding and more with not wasting the ink.

It has nothing whatever to do with wasting ink or not. Montblanc would probably prefer that you dump out your ink bottle when it is half empty if only you would be sure to buy another. It is all about "burping". Pens that use the barrel as a reservoir are particularly prone to "burping" when air inside the ink chamber expands due to heating in the shirt pocket or hand. If the feed is not saturated, the burp should be contained in its many fins, and you will probably stay happy and oblivious to it. If, after filling, you don't use the filling system to draw the excess ink in the feed back into the pen's ink reservoir, then any burp may encounter a saturated feed, in which case the ink is going to come out of the pen. Make sense?

Note that you should also cradle the external feed with your cloth/paper towel after filling to draw the excess ink from the external fins. Nothing good will come from an over-saturated feed, though if you love playing with inks, you might choose to "write it out" instead. Just get it done before capping the pen.

Edited by mhosea

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

There's nothing wrong with Montblanc's piston mechanism, and it's as reliable and durable as any other brand. The design of the nib/feed housing is flawed. The lip of the housing can direct leaking ink to the grip portion of the section. During filling, ink can seep into this joint and stains your fingers as it works its way back out.

Does anyone know what pen would give you similar writing experience to 146? I really like the size, balance and the nib, just resent their pompous marketing and I.m not comfortable with the brand itself. I tried Sailor 1911 large NT nib and is a great pen but very different writing experience.

My Sailor 1911 Realo (piston fill) is only a fraction smaller than my 146 and there is a vast choice of nibs, some are VERY costly though.

Peter

Does anyone know what pen would give you similar writing experience to 146?

There are many many alternatives. The most obvious is Pelikan with their long tradition of piston-fillers with easily-swapped nib units, which is a real boon if you want to have several nibs custom-ground by a nibmeister. The Italian Aurora Optima piston-filler likewise has an easily swapped nib unit, with ebonite feed.

Or try a Sheaffer Legacy 1 or the ubiquitous Parker 51. I'm just tossing out what comes to mind, but there are so many. Get to a well-stocked pen shop or a pen show.

Fred

Does anyone know what pen would give you similar writing experience to 146? I really like the size, balance and the nib, just resent their pompous marketing and I.m not comfortable with the brand itself. I tried Sailor 1911 large NT nib and is a great pen but very different writing experience.

That all depends on what you mean by "writing experience" and so far we have no clue what that means to you.

Tell us what you want from a pen and perhaps someone can then make an informed suggestion.

My Website

I would posit that there is none similar to a 146, there are similar looking pens from japanese brands but as you've found out the nib is a lot different.

Perhaps a pelikan M600 or M800 would have a more similar nib, but they're also going the way of Montblanc higher and higher prices not too long before you could classify them as pompous as well.

Maybe an Astoria or Torelli pen.

I agree that, while the Sailor 1911 L is reminiscent of the 146, the Sailor nibs are unique. A standard tip will be more similar than a Naginata Togi, however, by a huge margin, which is not to say that I think they are so similar, as the medium and broad Sailor nibs I've had employed a very different tipping design/shape than Montblanc does.

I don't disagree with other respondents that some more parameters would be useful, but I there are a few pens that spring to mind for one particular reason or another. I want to shy away from the suggestion that they are similar to the 146, but various things about their performance seem comparable to me. They are Pelikan M800, Parker Premier (current production, just for the nib, but I've heard that these are "hit and miss"), and Pilot Custom 823 (be sure to account for the Japanese nib size conventions when comparing).

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

I would posit that there is none similar to a 146, there are similar looking pens from japanese brands but as you've found out the nib is a lot different.

Perhaps a pelikan M600 or M800 would have a more similar nib, but they're also going the way of Montblanc higher and higher prices not too long before you could classify them as pompous as well.

They have quite a way to go yet. M800 £290, M600 £220 while the 146 is a wopping £470. I have a 146 and it is a great pen but it is not worth £470 when the M800 is, some say, a better pen for only 61% the price of the Le Grand.

Peter

Nothing beats a 146 or a 149.

There is no need to pay the MSRP.

Edited by meiers