Pilot Capless Vs Lamy 2000

Attena

Hello fellow fountain pen enthusiasts!

I hope I wrote this topis on the correct forum =).

I've been a fountain pen user for more than 10 years already and own a small collection of Parker and Twsbi pens.

This month, I decided I shall expand my collection and reach into the world of gold fountain pen nibs.

The pens that facinated me the most were the Pilot Capless Matte Black and the Lamy 2000.

I've read and watched a lot of reviews and completely hit a wall. I simply can not decide between these 2.

Maybe some of you will answer with "Why not both?" and yes... both probably sometime in the foreseeable future as I would love to see both of these 2 pens in my collection some day.

But right now, as a student with no steady income, I should like to decide on one and would like to ask you for help.

I would use the pen everyday during my university classes, meaning that I would write with it on and off at least 5-6h per day, taking notes.

So, which one of these 2 pens do you think would be better? Any opinions, experiences, advice, simply anything would be a big help.

Thank you in advance!!

Sincerely,

Attena

Edited by Attena

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KBeezie

• Attena

• Thier.

• 4lex

Top Posters In This Topic

Lamy 2000, because it has a larger ink capacity and would probably last you throughout your day.

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

The Pilot Capless Matte Black because you're a student and would appreciate the vanishing point feature.

It is pretty much a given that you will at some point own both. I did. Sold the 2000. The nubs you hear about being rhe cause of so much trouble don't cause any trouble IMO, but for me the overall shape of the pen was uncomfortable. I know I'm in the minority here, but the pen I'm left with is the capless. Great pen, I'm a student as well and if your grip works with the clip you should have no problems with it. I enjoy mine. Good nibs too.

"Oh deer."

I've got one of each, and they're very nice pens. As indicated above, the main choice is between easy transition from pocket to writing and ink capacity. The capacity matter is less pressing if you refill your cartridges, but even then it's 0.8ml vs 1.3ml.

The Pilot is substantially heavier (unless you're looking at the 2000M). Both have what some would consider handicaps regarding how you hold them. The Pilot is more likely so show wear in the finish.

If I were pressed to chose one, I'd likely drop on the side of the Lamy, because I prefer a lighter pen and a built-in filler. It is, however, a close race.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

Body wise, Lamy 2000, to me feels a little nicer in the hand and I'm not as concerned of using it as bag or pocket carry. The steel front end of the post-2009 L2k does have a bit of a colder feel to it, but it's not on the whole pen like where it touches the cusp of my palm. The VP seems nice for quicker usage, but the clip placement bothers me a little bit.

Nibwise, the Pilot Vanishing point, especially if you like finer nibs, the 18K EF or F has a slight springy feel to it (but not something you can get line variation to, just has that 'feel'), where as the Lamy 2000 nib is a bit firmer.

For cleanliness, definitely the Lamy 2000, it can be fully disassembled (or least the section forward for the faint of heart) if you *really really really* feel compelled to give it a good rinse thru, where as you cannot (easily) disassemble the VP nib unit, and probably shouldn't attempt to do so. Also if any ink gets loose or dried up around the trap door, I find it to be a tedious pain to get out completely.

For filling, definitely the Lamy 2000 again. With the VP You have to take out the nib unit from the body (ie: that's front and back part of the pen set aside), and the intake hole for filling on the VP unit is pretty far up the nib that you won't easily be able to fill from a sample vial that's less than half full, or from a short end of a ink bottle. So with the VP you're left with work-arounds such as syringe filling a cartridge, or filling the converter by itself and then putting it into the nib unit. With the Lamy 2k, you just dip the pen, operate the piston knob, wipe off the excess ink from the front and just pop the cap back on.

Weight, the VP is noticeably heavier than the Lamy 2000. But it's not too heavy for my personal preference. I prefer the lighter weight of the L2k.

I like the capless convenience of the VP and some of the nibs (presently using a 0.5 stub Dan Smith grind, but the stock Fine was nice too) , but I like the overall practicality of my Lamy 2000, which also has a very smooth and good flowing EF (after I had tuned and smoothed it).

As I am a student, and I have been using the pens for the last year or so in a class setting, if I had to pick one of the two I'd go with the Lamy 2000 mainly as it seems more comfortable to me for longer session writing, and a little bit more ink capacity when compared to the VP using a converter (compared to it using a cartridge, the capacity is about the same, 0.9 vs 1.0 [i've not found anything that confirms the 1.3ml capacity, seems it's 1.0, especially as I tested it myself as well]). The Vanishing point to me is more of a nicer on-the-go kind of pen, good for quick notes or single page letters every so often.

If I didn't have to choose between just those two, I would stick with my 1956 Pelikan 400NN with a 14K Semi-flex EF filled with R&K Salix (as the nib unit has a hard rubber collar, there's no risk there). As I found that one to be more comfortable to both, and the nib to be nicer than both the ones I've used on the L2K and the 3+ VPs I've had. (Plus the 400NN was about the same price as both of those retail, maybe a little more given today's bargains).

Edited by KBeezie

If the task is taking notes in class, it's no contest--the Pilot VP solves the whole capping, uncapping, dropping the cap, diving for the cap, missing the note, recapping, now the pen won't start drill. It is the perfect note-taking pen. And if you use an F or EF nib (better for notes anyway) the ink capacity won't be an issue--you just get a routine of refilling the converter every evening. Plus there is really no comparison between Pilot's commitment to quality and Lamy's commitment to volume manufacturing and cost control.

If you get both (as you probably should) you will probably still prefer the VP for notes and meetings, and the Lamy for extended periods of uninterrupted writing, as in drafting essays. Unless the silly ears on the Lamy bother you--they do get to some people, but certainly not everyone. Both are pens with fine reputations, both manufacturers stand behind their work (rather more necessary in Lamy's case), but the two have different intended use cases.

ron

If the task is taking notes in class, it's no contest--the Pilot VP solves the whole capping, uncapping, dropping the cap, diving for the cap, missing the note, recapping, now the pen won't start drill.

Sounds like bad infomercial acting... :P (honestly, never had that problem, and what's the deal about pen won't start point?).

I have both a Lamy 2000 with a medium nib and a VP with a medium nib. I like both but for different reasons. The VP is great for quick notes and signing forms on the run but the ink capacity is limited. I have run out of ink several times while using the VP. The Lamy has a much larger ink capacity but need to be uncapped to use so you have to be mindful of where to put the cap (I don't post my pens). The lamy is also very sturdy if not indestructibel. I have dropped this pen may time at construction sites onto terrazzo floors, gravel, concrete decks, etc... not a scratch and it always writes.

Change is not mandatory, Survival is not required.

I have both with Fine nibs. I use them both a lot, though if I had to pick one, especially for longer writing sessions, I would choose the L2K. It has always been extremely comfortable to write with for me (uncapped), though of course that is a preference. I prefer the VP for jotting down quick notes, signing checks, etc., as more of a pocket pen (in fact I keep it in my pocket with a Jotter most of the time). The narrow Japanese fine nib is also better for cheaper paper.

I'll admit, though, I had to send my L2K back to Filofax to get the nib adjusted when it first arrived. The pen came back in less than 2 weeks writing like a dream.

Sounds like bad infomercial acting... :P (honestly, never had that problem, and what's the deal about pen won't start point?).

I just got a picture of Troy McClure smashing fruit against his head, while saying "This used to be the only way to get fresh orange juice!" :thumbup:

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

I am a firm believer in, based solely on experience, that when two pens are in contention as the next purchase, the loser will be purchased eventually. The pen just seems to enter the psyche and won't let go.

I am a firm believer in, based solely on experience, that when two pens are in contention as the next purchase, the loser will be purchased eventually. The pen just seems to enter the psyche and won't let go.

It's not a which to get issue then... it's a which to get FIRST :D

Waw!

Thank you everybody for your opinions!!

It actually helped me a lot.

And yes... I guess right now, it is all about which pen first... xD...

Today I found a review of the VP saying that the finish from Black Matte scratches off quite easily. And for some reason that's the only color I really like.

So I wrote to Pilot support asking if that is still true, since that review was from 2013. Based on their answer I think I'll make my final decision, although at this moment I must say I'm leaning more on the Lamy side. =)

I'll let you know what Pilot Support says and reveal my final purchase with a picture of the new pen =)

Edited by Attena

Waw!

Thank you everybody for your opinions!!

It actually helped me a lot.

And yes... I guess right now, it is all about which pen first... xD...

Today I found a review of the VP saying that the finish from Black Matte scratches off quite easily. And for some reason that's the only color I really like.

So I wrote to Pilot support asking if that is still true, since that review was from 2013. Based on their answer I think I'll make my final decision, although at this moment I must say I'm leaning more on the Lamy side. =)

I'll let you know what Pilot Support says and reveal my final purchase with a picture of the new pen =)

That issue is actually documented in a few threads Pilot ended up changing the matte coating to correct that, but it has a different appearance/texture than it used to now.

Edited by KBeezie

Well I got a reply saying:

Thank you very much for the interest you show in our Fine writing products and of course in our Brand.

Regarding your inquiry on the Matte Black Capless, it is true this fountain pen is indeed much more delicate than other models.

We are working hard everyday in order to improve the sturdiness in this trim. Hopefully, we will be able to propose a much more resistant version by the end of the year.

In meantime, and just to make you feel more confident about which pen to buy, we would wish to advise you the black rhodium or the black graphite Capless, if black is the colour you'd like to purchase.

Seems I'm getting the Lamy 2000 1st =) and I'll wait for Pilot to release the sturdy Black Matte version.

I used a VP with a medium nib for years as a graduate student. It had an absolutely wonderful nib--one of the best I've ever used. However, ink capacity was a problem. If I had a few classes back to back I would have to refill, which is annoying when at school (then you need to bring an ink bottle, and there is no easy way to refill if you run out of ink during a class). You could bring cartridges, but they are messy to change in class. I resorted to refilling cartridges, but that was annoying too. Thus for taking class notes I prefer the Lamy 2000, which I also have in medium and think is great. With the snap cap and larger capacity the L2k is great for taking notes in class.

Where the VP really shines is not for taking class notes but in marking up what I'm reading. When reading assigned books and articles the VP's click mechanism is great for quickly adding marginalia or quick notes on a separate sheet. Not having to take off a cap and either post it or find somewhere to put it is nice when just jotting down quick reading notes or when outlining a text, when you're quickly going back and forth between reading and writing. It's a small thing in a way but really useful. I wish now that I had bought the VP with a fine nib to make it better at marginalia, even though I normally dislike fine nibs.

So if I were still a student I would want both--the Lamy for class notes and the VP for marginalia and outlining texts.

I have the two in EF and they are so different that the choice might be linked to what you use them for: for rapid note taking, the VP is by far the most confortable, if the clip position does not represent a problem.

For longer sessions of writing, the Lamy 2K is perfect !

As a few others, I personnaly have both and, yes those pens are great but so different that it's hard to choose. Between a truck and a convertible sport car, which one would you choose ? It depends on the use ....

If I had to have just one of those tw pens, I'd chose the Lamy because of the look, the handling and the ink capacity .... But I also like my Pilot .....

fpn_1431977288__img_0430.jpg