Pocket Pens

Tony the Tiger

I've been looking online at pocket pens. It'd be nice to be able to carry a fountain pen, even when the shirt I'm wearing doesn't have a breast pocket. I'd prefer one without a clip. I've seen a lot of Napoleon and Napoleon II's for sale. I'm not familiar with that brand. Are there any others that you'd recommend?

Thanks, Tony

CURRENT STABLE:

(2) Danitrio Tac Carry II / Xezo Architect / (2)(1920's era) Redipoint Flex / Libelle Vortex / Orange LE Pilot VP/ Mont Blanc Classique 144 / Dunhill Sidecar / Pilot 823 Clear Demonstrator / TWSBI 580 / Stipula Passaporto LE / Kaweco Sport WISH LIST:

MB Boheme / Platinum Hammered Sterling Silver / Pelikan M800 (clear demo) / Stipula Da Vinci / Visconti Opera Master / Delta Dolcevita Federico Oversize / Franklin-Cristoph 19 / Franklin-Christoph Model 25 w/ Masuyama nib

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tony the Tiger

• KBeezie

• Notgatherox

• benbot517

Kaweco Sport and Kaweco Lilliput.

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

Kaweco Sport and Kaweco Lilliput.

~Epic

Thanks, LE. Do these take a standard international ink cartridge?

CURRENT STABLE:

(2) Danitrio Tac Carry II / Xezo Architect / (2)(1920's era) Redipoint Flex / Libelle Vortex / Orange LE Pilot VP/ Mont Blanc Classique 144 / Dunhill Sidecar / Pilot 823 Clear Demonstrator / TWSBI 580 / Stipula Passaporto LE / Kaweco Sport WISH LIST:

MB Boheme / Platinum Hammered Sterling Silver / Pelikan M800 (clear demo) / Stipula Da Vinci / Visconti Opera Master / Delta Dolcevita Federico Oversize / Franklin-Cristoph 19 / Franklin-Christoph Model 25 w/ Masuyama nib

I'm strongly considering a Stipula Passaporto

CURRENT STABLE:

The Kaweco sport and liliput both take standard international cartridges. I've held the aluminum liliput, and I find it to be too light. I like light pens, and i find them better to write with, but the liliput feels cheap in its lightness. I can't speak for the plastic sport, buy if you upgrade to the al sport you will have a pen that's built like a tank, is well balanced, and despite the build quality not too heavy. I recommend the al sport, especially if you are considering something in the price range of the passaporto.

"Oh deer."

Kaweco Sport/al Sport etc. take short international cartridges.

Don't forget the Lamy Safari - it has a clip, but it clips to almost anything I'm likely to wear, including (as I do) the collar of a T-shirt

Edited by PDW

Have one of the Napoleon Pocket Pens -- not a bad pen for the money. And, normally costs a bit less than the Kaweco.

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

Kaweco Sport or AL Sport would probably be my choice for 'pocket' pens, especially the AL Sport, takes standard international cartridge (bout the only thing it can take, there are some converter option, but I find they do not work very well).

Alternatively older Pilot Elite from the 70s (ie: 70s version of the E95s) as they come with an 18K gold nib, quite small capped, but pretty full size posted, and can be found for under 100 easily (the last three I got were 30 or less).

For cheap/inexpensive, but reliable, the Pilot Petit1, not much different to the Kaweco Classic Sport in size/girth, has a clip, pretty durable, snap-on cap, and a pretty smooth fine nib (but only in a Fine, though I think you can get medium from overseas). Cartridges though are the smaller pilot style carts, not as easy to get your hands on as say standard pilot carts or standard international.

Here are the short pens I had last year, capped, uncapped, and posted.

From left to right:

Bexley Jitterbug, shown with a Goulet EF (only takes standard international, but the templar mini converter should work)

Kaweco AL Sport, Raw Aluminum with a Sport-N clip, shown with a Steel Medium (I have one again, with a Fine Now)

Pilot Petit1, Blue-Black color, Steel Fine (Japanese sizing) Nib

Sheaffer Tuckaway Valiant Vac-Fil (1945-1947) in Gold-Brown Striated, with a 2-tone 14K Medium

Sheaffer MiLady Balance (1939-1942), lever filled in Carmine Striated, 2-tone Feathertouch 14K Fine Nib

Sailor Pocket Pen, likely from late 60s to mid 70s, Sailor cartridges, very soft springy 14K EF nib

Pilot Elite Lady (after 1985), 18K Fine Nib

Pilot Elite (1971), 18K Posting nib

Pilot Elite (1970), 18K Soft Fine

Eversharp Skyline Demi Size (1940s), Army/Navy Color (red/white cap, now faded to green, navy blue body/dome), 14K EF~F

Pelikan M250 (1992-1996) in Black with Gold Trim, Piston Filler, 14K monotone Medium

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/collections/shorties_oct2014/capped.jpg

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/collections/shorties_oct2014/uncapped.jpg

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/collections/shorties_oct2014/posted.jpg

The Kaweco sport and liliput both take standard international cartridges. I've held the aluminum liliput, and I find it to be too light. I like light pens, and i find them better to write with, but the liliput feels cheap in its lightness. I can't speak for the plastic sport, buy if you upgrade to the al sport you will have a pen that's built like a tank, is well balanced, and despite the build quality not too heavy. I recommend the al sport, especially if you are considering something in the price range of the passaporto.

There's a brass Lilliput.

http://www.cultpens.com/i/q/KW30909/kaweco-liliput-fountain-pen-satin-brass-wave (no affiliation)

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

Thanks for all the input folks. KBeezie, I really like the look of your lineup, especially 1, 2 and 4. Right now I believe I have settled on a Stipula Passporto Miami Sunrise Ltd Edition. It's pricier than the Kaweco AL Sport, but I have a thing for demonstrators and have always wanted a Stipula. The AL is definitely one I'll consider in the future.

Thanks, Tony

CURRENT STABLE:

I'm strongly considering a Stipula Passaporto

Highly recommended. One of my favorite pocket pens. Can be used as an eyedropper or cart fill. I also have a Jean Pierre Lepine Indigo which is my favorite. It comes in tons of colors from very conservative black or stainless to out of this world colors. Mine is polished stainless.

post-1458-0-49591000-1431624750_thumb.jpg

Jim Couch

Portland, OR

Highly recommended. One of my favorite pocket pens. Can be used as an eyedropper or cart fill. I also have a Jean Pierre Lepine Indigo which is my favorite. It comes in tons of colors from very conservative black or stainless to out of this world colors. Mine is polished stainless.

attachicon.gifin50f-stainlesssteelfp.jpg

Thanks Jim. Good looking pen. I just ordered the Stipula I mentioned earlier. Can't wait.

CURRENT STABLE:

Just today received a "birthday" brass AlSport Kaweco. Love at first sight. I like the stonewashed denim, too. I bought that one for Herself.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

I carry an Ohto Tasche in my front pant pocket.

I'm thinking about also getting an Ohto Rook.

These are nice compact pens, so I don't worry about cracking it in half, like I do with a normal length FP.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I would advise against carrying a fountain pen in the trousers. Body heat can

provoke ink leakage. I broke several fountain pens in college. Basically, SAT

on them. If you must, I recommend a Jinhao 159. It is of heavy, brass-tube

construction. The cap screws on. The big pen is easy to retrieve. About $5.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I would advise against carrying a fountain pen in the trousers. Body heat can

provoke ink leakage. I broke several fountain pens in college. Basically, SAT

on them. If you must, I recommend a Jinhao 159. It is of heavy, brass-tube

construction. The cap screws on. The big pen is easy to retrieve. About $5.

Even when I have used some pens in the pans, I've never put them in the backpocket, never made any sense to me, always in the front pockets (but course, snappage can still happen if the jeans are tight enough when you go to sit down).

But you actually had them in your back pockets thru college?

Thanks for all the input folks. KBeezie, I really like the look of your lineup, especially 1, 2 and 4. Right now I believe I have settled on a Stipula Passporto Miami Sunrise Ltd Edition. It's pricier than the Kaweco AL Sport, but I have a thing for demonstrators and have always wanted a Stipula. The AL is definitely one I'll consider in the future.

Thanks, Tony

I'd have steered away from the Napoleon, too - I know some enjoy theirs, but mine was a great big non-writing flop from the get-go.

Great choice if you are getting a Passaporto, as the barrel end has threads for more secure posting. I had one of those LE Passaportos once and it really was an amazing writer. But even better I think is the Stipula Bon Voyage, which is kind of like the 2.0 version of the Passaporto. But then again, I prefer a flat-top and a clip, which the Bon Voyage sports. :)

Just some more pocket pen photos for ya while you're waiting on your Passaporto...the photo quality pales next to Karl's, but you still get the idea.

P1110196.JPG

From left to right:

1. Stipula Bon Voyage M steel nib, clear 2. Sailor Mini Sapporo, F 14k nib, red 3. Kaweco Al Sport, M steel nib, gunmetal

4. Franklin-Christoph EF steel nib, Smoke and Ice 5. Monteverde Sonata, M steel nib, blue (but looks more teal greenish)

6. Taccia Portuguese M steel nib, black 7. Pilot Prera F steel nib, lime green 8. Just a regular sized Pilot Metropolitan, for size comparison

P1110208.JPG

The most important thing in an EDC pen is durability. For this reason for a long time I have suggested the Lamy Safari -- easily for me the most durable inexpensive EDC pen out there. But then the Franklin-Christoph pocket 40 snow and ice came around. And as a demonstrator you can design its look with the ink you put in it...

Now cost becomes the only deciding factor.

I'd give another vote for the Kaweco pens, I have a Sport AL raw and the new Brass Sport both are great and will develop a natural patina that is like a fingerprint of your use.

I also have the Kaweco Lilliput and Brass Lilliput wave, the Standard Lilliput is my go to pocket pen as it's so light but feels tough too, the Brass Lilliput is the wave and has more weight than the aluminium version, it's a fantastic pen and the look of the brass wave is beautiful.

All the pens take standard cartridges and if you want to carry more than one(as I now do with my two Lilliputs) Kaweco make great leather carry pouches, I have one already for my Sports and really like the classic design and look of it :)