Desiderata Flex Pen - The Best Modern Flex Pen Out There?

vPro

Hello everybody!

Here's a small review of a rather fantastic pen. Not only do I like this pen - I LOVE it!

This pen was sent to me as a gift from a FPN member. I have been extremely fortunate to get this pen, so a huge thank you to requiescat. I hope to return the gesture one day!

Now to the pen!

This pen is absolutely gorgeous. Made out of two types of wood (I think it's Purpleheart and Cherry), this pen stands out. Have a look at how gorgeous this is:

http://oi62.tinypic.com/e5gx9v.jpg

Capped this is about 16.5 cm long (165 mm) - uncapped it is 14.5 cm long (145 mm). This pen cannot be posted, although there's no need for that since it's large enough. The pen doesn't have a clip, but it has a small roll-stop. I have a sweet spot for handmade objects, and pens are no exception. This pen truly brings me joy every time I pick it up!

http://oi58.tinypic.com/vcyl51.jpg

The pen uses a Zebra G nib - a dip calligraphy nib. It performs amazingly well. It creates the much desired hairlines and can go really broad - like REALLY broad! The thinnest lines are about 0.3 mm and the thickest are about 4mm. Yup, you read that right! This calls for some amazing line variation - but can the feed keep up? We'll get back to that in a second.

The nib is quite smooth. Remember, that these steel nibs are untipped, so if you're used to a vintage flex nib, you might find this a touch scratchier. The tines spread with very little pressure and quickly snap back together once finished.

I apologise for the rotated pictures, I tried several image hosts and the pictures keep getting rotated although the original picture is not rotated.

Writing sample and test

http://i.imgur.com/HCzR2ZF.jpg

As you can see, this writes very well - there's little railroading to be seen and it's only when the feed is taxed VERY hard. That is, however, not something the pen would be put through under normal circumstances.

Please note that your mileage may vary. I noticed inks play an enormous role, so choose your inks wisely!

Filling system:

This pen uses an ink sac to hold the ink. You simply unscrew the barrel, press the ink sac to let the air out, then dip it in your bottle of ink and release the pressure from the sac. Some people might claim that this is a primitive filling method - and yes it is! But it works very nicely and the pen can hold a considerable amount of ink (a regular filling, that fills the sack to about 2/3 of its maximal capacity holds 2ml of ink). Now when doing some serious flex writing you might find yourself running out after two pages, but keep in mind that flex pens are significantly different from your normal fountain pen!

I want this pen!

You can get this pen at desideratapens.com but since these are handmade they aren't always in stock. Therefore, make sure you sign up for the newsletter to get notifications when new pens are back in stock. Usually it's every wednesday.

Mr. Miller, the man who owns and runs the whole thing, is a true gentleman and offers great support :) In fact, I see similarities between Mr. Miller and Ollivander from Harry Potter, since they both know the exact details of 'almost' every pen/wand they have sold.

Price?

Wooden pens are sold for around $120, but you can get the cheaper pens made out of Delrin for just $65. There is no difference in performance, only looks and price. Is it worth it? Yes, I'd definitely say so. The price of the pen justifies what you get, for it is truly an outstanding experience. And since the pen uses Zebra G nibs, you don't have to worry about damaging the nib. The nibs are just $20 for a pack of 10 - that's not a bad deal, is it?

Is it the best modern flex pen?

Since the newer 'flexible nib' pens are merely soft nibs with feeds that barely keep up, I'd say yes. At this moment, nothing 'modern' compares to a Desiderata pen.

This concludes my review! Hope you enjoyed reading it!

If you need more details, feel free to contact me! I hope you enjoyed this review!

Edited by vPro

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PrestoTenebroso

• vPro

• Shepashepa

• Goudy

I had been after one for ages but they all got snapped up. No new wood versions were made it seems, so that boat has sailed for me. In the end I just gave up waiting and moved back to dip pens. Beautiful designs on the Desiderata wood pens though!

Mr. Miller still makes wood pens on occasion :)
They're gorgeous! I'm still trying to find a way to rotate the picture

http://fly.brain4.photobox.com/35207737ca2a014bbec694163c3f89cf38657bd3f3c614945643bf6c48dd60c0b09ec33a.jpg

Edited by vPro

I love my wood Desiderata. It's a beautiful piece of craftsmanship. My only suggestions for improvement would be:

1. An alternative filling system - cartridge/converter maybe?

2. I wish the cap could be posted - especially as it rolls off the desk so easily (no roll-stop on mine).

3. There's a sharp edge where the wood ends and the Delrin(?) of the section begins, which I'm often aware of when writing.

4. The Delrin itself has quite a slippery feel - more so than the varnished wood or vintage ebonite. It doesn't seem like the ideal material for a grip section.

The thinnest lines are about 0.3 mm and the thickest are about 9mm

Really? That's about 3 times as far as I normally flex it! Still, as you say, the nibs are cheap...

http://i.imgur.com/utQ9Ep9.jpg

I love my wood Desiderata. It's a beautiful piece of craftsmanship. My only suggestions for improvement would be:

2. I wish the cap could be posted - especially as it rolls off the desk so easily (no roll-stop on mine).

3. There's a sharp edge where the wood ends and the Delrin(?) of the section begins, which I'm often aware of when writing.

4. The Delrin itself has quite a slippery feel - more so than the varnished wood or vintage ebonite. It doesn't seem like the ideal material for a grip section.

Really? That's about 3 times as far as I normally flex it! Still, as you say, the nibs are cheap...

Whoops! Thanks for correcting me! It's 4 mm, not 9!

All 4 issues to be addressed in the next set.

Could you please post a picture of the cheaper version?

OK

Found review on parkablogs. Thanks anyway. Interesting pen. Filling system is the biggest issue.

Edited by Shepashepa

Is this a review or an ad? Nice looking nib though

Edited by zzbr

ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

This is a review, should you be unable to distinguish. The thing is, however, that this pen is so well made that I have a hard time hiding my excitement. Most people on here knows the pen anyway.

I could not find the payment method on his webpage. It is clear that the price will depend on pen offered plus delivery costs. But, what is the payment options?

Could you please post a picture of the cheaper version?

OK

Found review on parkablogs. Thanks anyway. Interesting pen. Filling system is the biggest issue.

See above. I heard the requests, and I'm onto more filling systems.

Is this a review or an ad? Nice looking nib though

ROFL! The nib is the only part I don't make. It's a Zebra G. I did NOT pay, promise, or barter vPro to write this review.

I could not find the payment method on his webpage. It is clear that the price will depend on pen offered plus delivery costs. But, what is the payment options?

The site has no inventory, so all you see are black screens until I upload more pens. Why no inventory?

1. Handmade pens take time
  2. Process engineering isn't easy
  3. You can't rush R&D

Thank you very much for the prompt reply.

It is clear about your pen making process. It is really amazing.

But how to transfer money to you after agreement?

No PayPal.

Visa, MasterCard? Banking transfer? Credit check? Western Union? Bitcoins? Cash in envelope? Gold doubloons?

:)

Just want to figure out is it possible for me to pay or not.

No PayPal.

Visa, MasterCard? Banking transfer? Credit check? Western Union? Bitcoins? Cash in envelope? Gold doubloons?

I only accept certified gold doubloons.

http://www.desideratapens.com/faq/#20

The website is in fact a normal webstore with normal payment options (credit cards, etc.), a "shopping cart" and a "checkout". Those options are merely unavailable when there is no merchandise. Imagine what a typical Amazon.com page would look like if Amazon had no stock. Basically, a navigation bar, advertisements and plain white space.

Edited by PrestoTenebroso

• 2 years later...

~ What an enjoyable thread!

Reading the comments and following the link to Mr. Miller's company was a pleasure.

It's heartening to encounter creativity expressed through action, experimentation and improvement.

I'm glad to know that such an option exists and is available to those interested.

Tom K.

No PayPal.

PayPal is accepted now! My hosting company finally bowed under the pressure and started accepting it!

~ What an enjoyable thread!

Reading the comments and following the link to Mr. Miller's company was a pleasure.

It's heartening to encounter creativity expressed through action, experimentation and improvement.

I'm glad to know that such an option exists and is available to those interested.

Tom K.

Thank you so much, Tom!

Are there dip pen nibs that have tip that can be used on this pen?

I know, at the present, of no tipped dip nibs that will fit a Desiderata Pen. (That does not mean they don't exist.)