The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Twsbi R&d Prototypes For New Inkwell

twsbi ink inkwell

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 mmg122

mmg122

Mary Garavaglia

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,754 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 May 2015 - 12:58

TWSBI "Tweeted" these photos a few days ago which show prototypes of a new inkwell they are developing to replace Inkwell 50. I think they're both very interesting designs. Here's what they said:
"R&D drew up some samples of possible bottle looks. What do y'all think?"

Moderators...please feel free to move this post if it belongs in a different section. Thanks.

Attached Images

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 Davros

Davros

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 13:37

I like them both. I really like the top one's looks, though in real life, I would probably prefer something I can fit together closely to maximize storage space.

#3 TheGreatRoe

TheGreatRoe

Antique

• FPN Super Moderators

• 1,703 posts
  • Location:Alpha Quadrant, Sector 001, Earth, USA, North Carolina, Hillsborough
  • Flag:

Posted 13 May 2015 - 14:09

The rounded one is my favorite.  First, with the same TWSBI cap and it's grooves, it looks like a lightbulb.  Second, if you're going to redesign the bottle why not move away from what you've already done.  #2 looks like a variation of the old bottle design.

"The Great Roe is a mythological beast with the head of a lion and the body of a lion, but not the same lion."

My Personal Blog  |  My Creative Writing Blog  |  My Heraldry Designs

crestdr.png?w=100

#4 Crewel

Crewel

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 May 2015 - 15:04

I like both since both emphasize a stable tilt functionality to the bottle for maximizing ink withdrawals.  I lean slightly more towards the round one due to the 'uniqueness' factor.

#5 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,686 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 May 2015 - 16:20

I'm with Dale.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#6 Morwen

Morwen

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 May 2015 - 23:27

I love the round one! If they make it, I'll buy one. Or two :).

#7 Reevers

Reevers

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 May 2015 - 15:18

Another vote for the spherical design. Really eye catching and that colour collar would be perfect for R&K Alt Goldgrün.

Matt

#8 coffeetoofull

coffeetoofull

none

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 May 2015 - 22:03

I prefer the rounded shape. The tilt provides something special. I would purchase both.

Best Writings To You, coffeetoofull

Edited by coffeetoofull, 14 May 2015 - 22:04.

#9 delano

delano

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 May 2015 - 00:27

I like the top one best, but I would buy both of them empty if only for the design.

Now, given the TWSBI product launch schedule, I think we might be looking at a Christmas 2017 release  -_-

#10 Hallel

Hallel

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 May 2015 - 20:59

I second, or third, or fourth, the spherical one with the sideways cap. I just broke the lid on my bottle of Tsuki-yo and I'm in the market for a new 50ml inkwell.
The praise of the praiseworthy is above all rewards.

#11 TSherbs

TSherbs

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,123 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 22:03

Why tilt the inner cone feed in the round one? Won't that mean that more ink will be left in the bottle? 

#12 coffeetoofull

coffeetoofull

none

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 May 2015 - 23:48

I believe you should speak to the moderator and have this 'Topic' moved to the TWSBI area.

Best Writings To You, coffeetoofull

Edited by coffeetoofull, 16 May 2015 - 23:48.

#13 Lou Erickson

Lou Erickson

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 01:15

If you need a new inkwell, the current TWSBI ones are quite nice, and would do Iroshizuku justice.  Or find an empty Iro bottle.  Goulets has them sometimes.

-- 

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

#14 Vincenz

Vincenz

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2015 - 12:46

The first is so beautiful... it remind me a magic potion bottle.. so nice!!! :)

Vincenzo

Posted Image Posted Image

#15 graystranger

graystranger

Beware of someone with one pen, they probably know how to use it

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2015 - 16:05

I love the spherical design prototype TWSBI bottle! I have six of the Diamond 50 bottles and love them, all have ink in them.

A close examination using an eye loupe of the glass in my Diamond 50 bottles showed no mold seam nor typical surface finish of molded glass. I think the facets on the glass are ground and polished. Which amazes me for a bottle with anodized metal caps for only $25? A bargain in my opinion.

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

#16 bardharlock

bardharlock

Stormin' Mormon

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2015 - 03:27

Why tilt the inner cone feed in the round one? Won't that mean that more ink will be left in the bottle? 

No. The inner core has holes in it so you can tilt the bottle and get ink into the cone and then suck it out. Nothing prevents you from holding the cap and hence the core cone, straight up when you open it and ink your pen.

"In this world... you must be oh, so smart, or oh, so pleasant. Well for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant."

#17 rafapa

rafapa

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2015 - 04:56

I am not sure the round one will suport the weight of the pen once attached to the cap. I presume it will have the same system which allow to attach the section to the cap.

#18 PetraB

PetraB

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2015 - 22:08

I really liked the facetted one. Pretty.  my christmas 2017 will be a great one  :lticaptd:

#19 TSherbs

TSherbs

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,123 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 23:23

No. The inner core has holes in it so you can tilt the bottle and get ink into the cone and then suck it out. Nothing prevents you from holding the cap and hence the core cone, straight up when you open it and ink your pen.

I know, but what a pain. You will have to balance the bottle on the rounded side, insert the pen, perform the filling action, all while keeping the bottle from rolling over and spilling. It's pretty, but not practical.

#20 TheGreatRoe

TheGreatRoe

Antique

• FPN Super Moderators

• 1,703 posts
  • Location:Alpha Quadrant, Sector 001, Earth, USA, North Carolina, Hillsborough
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2015 - 23:56

I know, but what a pain. You will have to balance the bottle on the rounded side, insert the pen, perform the filling action, all while keeping the bottle from rolling over and spilling. It's pretty, but not practical.

I feel like that answer assumes a lot.  It's a prototype image, who's to say once they're down to designing it they don't just mold a bottle specific cone that drops straight down from the opening, or reposition the holes so that the slanted cone works just as well as the regular?

"The Great Roe is a mythological beast with the head of a lion and the body of a lion, but not the same lion."

My Personal Blog  |  My Creative Writing Blog  |  My Heraldry Designs

crestdr.png?w=100

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: twsbi, ink, inkwell

Sponsored Content

|