Pelikan Hubs 2015

Lamyrada

Those that didn't turn up missed out on a very enjoyable event with nice people to chat with and plenty of great looking pens to drool over.

Thanks for organising the London UK event and look forward to seeing you next week at the London Show :)

Yes, adding my thanks - had a lovely evening, saw (and tried, thanks to their owners' generosity) several gorgeous pens, and now have more pens and inks on my wish list ....

Thanks for being our hub master, VftL, and thanks to Pelikan for the swag!

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sargetalon

• fireant

• inkstainedruth

• DrCodfish

Pretty much everyone showed up at the other London event(Canada). We had difficulty finding a venue because of homecoming weekend at Western University. All our regulars attended with a few guests - but none from the other London. Some even came for breakfast on Sat for our weekly meet up.

Thanks to Kata and Will for organizing. Look forward to next year. One of our members brought his complete Cities collection...

Photos should be posted in a few days

https://londonpenclub.wordpress.com/category/london-pen-club/

^^^Echoing barleycorn ^^^ with thanks to our Hubmaster for organizing the 2015 London Ontario Canada Pelikan Hub meeting. Here are a few shots of the evening...

The gifts from Pelikan were a pen sleeve, a tin of six Edelstein Amethyst ink cartridges in a plastic cup:

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa230/Video11/2015%20Pelikan%20Hub%20London%20Canada/IMG_2075.jpg

Pelikan also sent one of each colour of Edelstein ink which were sampled through the evening and then raffled off to attendees:

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa230/Video11/2015%20Pelikan%20Hub%20London%20Canada/IMG_2076.jpg

And yes some Pelikan City Series Pens were there as well:

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa230/Video11/2015%20Pelikan%20Hub%20London%20Canada/IMG_2088.jpg

Regards,

Rick

Edited by Video11

Life Is Not A Rehearsal.

Our Pen Club: http://londonpenclub.com

Our Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/254419004945988/

I was shocked with one custom pen of Dr. Codfish's. It was a 15 degree oblique and I really didn't like the feedback when writing with it on Tomoe then I tried the hp laserjet paper that Conib sent us and I was stunned, it felt so smooth on that paper.

That was a Binder nib. Recall back in the day when Mr. Binder would have a stock of pre-ground nibs on the shelf and ready to purchase? This was one of those nibs, a cheap gold plated steel nib - RF CRISP Italic, 15 degree angle with a 0.7mm line width. As might be expected there was certainly a very narrow market for this item, so when it showed up the 'almost cheaper than the shipping' sale list (I think it was a Barbara's attic item) I took a chance on it. Because it is ground to a crisp italic with a very dramatic oblique angle it has an unforgiving sweet spot: when in the zone it is a fanciful writer, but the least bit of inattention and you are in 'paint scraping' mode. Fun to have variations at hand to experiment with.

^^^Echoing barleycorn ^^^ with thanks to our Hubmaster for organizing the 2015 London Ontario Canada Pelikan Hub meeting. Here are a few shots of the evening...

The gifts from Pelikan were a pen sleeve, a tin of six Edelstein Amethyst ink cartridges in a plastic cup:

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa230/Video11/2015%20Pelikan%20Hub%20London%20Canada/IMG_2075.jpg

Pelikan also sent one of each colour of Edelstein ink which were sampled through the evening and then raffled off to attendees:

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa230/Video11/2015%20Pelikan%20Hub%20London%20Canada/IMG_2076.jpg

And yes some Pelikan City Series Pens were there as well:

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa230/Video11/2015%20Pelikan%20Hub%20London%20Canada/IMG_2088.jpg

Regards,

Rick

OOOH. We didn't get the Edelstein inks to sample in Pittsburgh. OTOH, there were way more sleeves and cups than attendees.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

OOOH. We didn't get the Edelstein inks to sample in Pittsburgh. OTOH, there were way more sleeves and cups than attendees.

:(

Want me to send you a set of samples? I was going to take the leftovers to our next pen club meeting. If you guys wanted to remeet and try them I can also send you the 6 of 8 leftover bottles.

No that's okay. I wasn't enamored of the some of the colors, after reading some reviews on here. Weirdly enough, I can get the Edelstein inks locally -- I just never know quite what is going to be in stock (but that's true for all the brands of ink the place carries...). I do have Edelstein Tanzanite, but it hasn't gotten a lot of use (I have a LOT of blue-black inks).

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I tried the Edelstein Tanzanite at the London (UK) Hub and found it really enjoyable to use. Not sure if I'll make much use of it though as I like the standard Pelican blue/black and still have sneaking regards for the Montblanc Midnight Blue! Nice ink though!

I had fun at the Portland Hub - THANK YOU to Cindy for putting on a fun event!

I'm afraid the event may be a little expensive to me, though... I "accidentally" won a bid on an M300 on the bay. Oops. I loved the one I got to play with at the Hub!

Quite an eclectic attendance at the Mexico City hub, anything from serious collectors and penmanship lovers to people that only owns one fountain pen. We also had the presence of the representatives from Pelikan Mexico, which was an excellent opportunity for us to criticise their ridiculous pricing, distribution and marketing strategies.

Does anyone found the "leather" sleeve a bit odd? You can't use it with two pens facing each other, which I suppose was the intention, hence putting a divider inside, but you have to use it with both pens along side causing them to bounce against each other... I give it away along with the Edelstein cartridges, since I do not own any pen that fits them.

Can't wait till next year! Hopefully the Pelikan representatives will come...

Edited by coppilcus

I'm afraid the event may be a little expensive to me, though... I "accidentally" won a bid on an M300 on the bay. Oops. I loved the one I got to play with at the Hub!

Ha! Isn't it amazing how that happens? I accidently won the 120 I added to the flock.

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

Ha! Isn't it amazing how that happens? I accidently won the 120 I added to the flock.

Liar!! :P Your kind of accidentally requires you scouring the bay for what you want and bidding...I've seen this before...

So, what's your point?

(Mine is a flexible F.)

Liar!! :P Your kind of accidentally requires you scouring the bay for what you want and bidding...I've seen this before...

I freely admit to bidding...but the winning was accidental (I only bid the opening bid so I would get the emails as the auction was wrapping up. I absolutely did NOT expect to be the only bidder! On the upside - the price was great!).

I freely admit to bidding...but the winning was accidental (I only bid the opening bid so I would get the emails as the auction was wrapping up. I absolutely did NOT expect to be the only bidder! On the upside - the price was great!).

"I only bid the opening bid so I would get the emails as the auction was wrapping up" I too do that all the time, just intersted in what an item sells for. I ususally bid a low number so that if I do somehow win, it is not a bank buster.

I was shocked with one custom pen of Dr. Codfish's. It was a 15 degree oblique and I really didn't like the feedback when writing with it on Tomoe then I tried the hp laserjet paper that Conib sent us and I was stunned, it felt so smooth on that paper.

It is interesting that some nib/ink & paper combos just don't work. And others are lovely.

And I'll join those who are saying thanks -
to fireant for volunteering to hubmaster for PDX and for arranging the space and the extras.
to Pelikan for the inks and swag.
to everyone who brought paper samples.
to everyone who brought pens for show and tell and sell.

Always fun to share and talk pens and inks.

I like that amethyst ink, I've got my business blue-black Tanzanite for the next year, and I'm sampling some Jade and Brilliant Brown.

I got some new-to-me papers to sample.

And I found I can write with a nibmeistered right oblique, lovely nibs those Dr Codfish. And I found that I like Sailor pens, surprise.

It's fun to see everyone's latest pens and meet new pen people.

Looking forward to more PDX events.

Yes, adding my thanks - had a lovely evening, saw (and tried, thanks to their owners' generosity) several gorgeous pens, and now have more pens and inks on my wish list ....

Thanks for being our hub master, VftL, and thanks to Pelikan for the swag!

You're welcome - always good to meet new people who share interests.