Ebay 'near Mint' Condition. What To Expect?

Rumyana

Soo...I want to buy a MB pen that is in Near Mint Condition. What should I expect? Signs of use/scratches or a 'new' pen? Thank you!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rumyana

• JonSzanto

• meiers

• chunya

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would ask the seller specific questions about the condition. "Near mint" is worthless unless you know the seller and their grading system and even then it would still be a good idea to ask.

I agree with your comments.

Near mint is subjective. What you consider to be near mint may differ from mine and more importantly the seller. Becuase it is not mint it means something is not quite right, it it a few insignificant scratches or a bent but repairable nib.

When I buy pens from ebay I always ask the seller for additional photographs or specific parts of the pen. I do this because it helps me decide whether the seller is worth buying from (by the way they re-act) and also it lets me see parts of the pen that I ask for rather than the photos they want to show.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

I have very little patience for eBay and mediocre vendors. If a seller has many positive ratings and a 100 score, I might engage with the listing of a pen I really want. Yes I know. I am fussy.

Edited by meiers

I agree with your comments.

Near mint is subjective. What you consider to be near mint may differ from mine and more importantly the seller. Becuase it is not mint it means something is not quite right, it it a few insignificant scratches or a bent but repairable nib.

When I buy pens from ebay I always ask the seller for additional photographs or specific parts of the pen. I do this because it helps me decide whether the seller is worth buying from (by the way they re-act) and also it lets me see parts of the pen that I ask for rather than the photos they want to show.

Agreed with all of the advice above. I will typically ask if there are any cracks, scratches, or dents, or any scuff marks (e.g., from posting the cap). Depending on who the seller is and whether I have purchased from him/her in the past, I will also ask for close up photos of the pen body to check for posting marks as well as for the nib to see if the nib is sprung/bent/etc.

Current Wishlist:

Visconti, Visconti, and...more Visconti! (And some ST Duponts too). (Ok fine, getting on the Omas and Montblanc trains now too. Toot toot.) (And maybe on the Montegrappa one too, but only for the Miyas.)

...and there is always PayPal protection in case you have trouble recognizing the item that arrives in the mail.

If I were describing a pen as 'Near Mint' it would be a pen that would be very difficult to differentiate it from a new pen, and a pen that looks as if it may have never been used. Others might describe the same pen as BNIB, which I think would be less honest.

It is very subjective.

Caveat emptor.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Caveat emptor.

Rough night Jon? (your profile pic) :lol:

Caveat emptor (buyer beware) is one rule you should always follow on ebay.

Usually I ask the seller questions about points not mentioned in descriptions or shown in pictures. As Brandon says, "it helps me decide whether the seller is worth buying from (by the way they re-act) and also it lets me see parts of the pen that I ask for rather than the photos they want to show."

However, I may have broken my own rule by recently buying a pen that may not even be the model that the seller thought it was. Sometimes, you might have to be a little careful that the questions you want answers to, don't alert other potential buyers to information that you don't want put onto the listing, as some sellers choose to have their Q's and A's shown on the original listing page. ;)

Ask if returns are accepted should it not meet your standards. The last two pens I sold were done so with this offer and it gives buyers added confidence. One mans mint is another mans good in the condition scale......

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Thank you all! You were very helpful! I already had some bad experience with ebay purchase, so I would be more careful now :)

The seller send me more pictures. I asked for returns, he said that they are not accepted, because the pen is like new, no scratches or signs of use.

Unfortunately I was busy and I missed the pen. It was not sold, so probably I have chance to take it :)

Thank you!

Thank you all! You were very helpful! I already had some bad experience with ebay purchase, so I would be more careful now :)

The seller send me more pictures. I asked for returns, he said that they are not accepted, because the pen is like new, no scratches or signs of use.

Unfortunately I was busy and I missed the pen. It was not sold, so probably I have chance to take it :)

Thank you!

If a seller puts 'no returns' in his listings, it's completely meaningless. If an item isn't as described then you just open a case with ebay and the seller will either have to accept a return and refund your money, or ebay will refund your money and let you keep the item

Edited by Chrissy

So buying when there is 'no returns' listed its not a good idea even if the seller sais that the product is like new?

So buying when there is 'no returns' listed its not a good idea even if the seller sais that the product is like new?

Absolutely. I am hesitant to buy a "no return" item even if the seller has a 100% positive rating, unless I am comfortable with completely being able to throw the thing in the trash if it arrives in bad condition. The only guarantee you can ever have is a return guarantee. And the only other case is if your purchase is protected by a third-party, like eBay and/or PayPal.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

"No Return" means you are stuck with what you purchased. No matter what. The only recourse you might have is if it was misrepresented in the description. Not only is that a surprisingly difficult tack to take, it is almost impossible to prove when the seller keeps things vague. "I see no..." "It seems to me..." etc. are phrases designed to provide an "out."

I'd say so.

No matter what the seller says, the fact that they have listed no returns says more about them than the item. Why not accept returns? On what principle?

I, also agree with Chrissy. It's a meaningless concept in the ebay environment. If the item is not as described, it goes back. The often vilified Paypal will be your friend here.

But if the seller is unco-operative, I'd usually just move along to the next seller.

Re your OP:

I usually ignore seller's 'near mint etc' descriptions*, and try to trust my own judgement based on photographs and asking questions. Poor photography means taking a gamble and I'll do if it's a hard to find item that I need (a vintage barrel or section etc). In these instances, I have a similar attitude to JonSzanto; I have to accept that it may end up the trash. And I (should) factor that risk into my bid.

Of course, I could also fall on the other side of that risk and grab a complete sumgai.

Good luck.

* I'm referring to personal sellers, here. I would completely trust 'near mint' etc descriptions from trusted sellers, such as penboard.de etc (No affiliation).

Edited by CS388

No returns on auctions is totally reasonable, except in the case of an inaccurate listing, then the seller doesn't really have a choice in the matter.

The solution to the problem here is simple, don't buy used if you want a pen that is in perfect condition. Go to a boutique or an authorized retailer and buy the pen there.

Ok, so if there is a listing with an item listed as 'New' and there is No returns policy, this may be ok?

Ok, so if there is a listing with an item listed as 'New' and there is No returns policy, this may be ok?

Once I bought a MINT fountain pen from a famous seller in ebay (weekly sellings) and this is what I get....

He told me that the advertisement says: mint condition, but not PERFECt .....

post-102425-0-12691600-1431763921_thumb.jpg

Edited by adrianllg

MY BLOG: PLUMADICCION.COM ;)
Fountain pens, inks, reviews, and more...