The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Sepia Suggestions

ink sepia brown

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Alexcat

Alexcat

Lost in space

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 May 2015 - 08:16

Im fond of a sepia shade, for regular writing use. Got some Diamine Sepia, and I really don't like it. Too.....well, the only description which keeps coming back is....sorry.....poopy. Not poppy, poopy.

Any suggestions for a sepia or brown ?

Thanks
Alex
"As many nights endure Without a moon or star So will we endure When one is gone and far "Leonard Cohen, of blessed memory(21/09/1934-7/11/2016)

Sponsored Content

#2 fountainpagan

fountainpagan

Poetry soothes and emboldens the soul to accept mystery

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,089 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 May 2015 - 08:41

I hope this can help you.

qi5dlp.jpg

Edited by fountainpagan, 12 May 2015 - 08:42.

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

#3 Alexcat

Alexcat

Lost in space

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 May 2015 - 08:59

Wonderful....thank you!

Alex
"As many nights endure Without a moon or star So will we endure When one is gone and far "Leonard Cohen, of blessed memory(21/09/1934-7/11/2016)

#4 Alexcat

Alexcat

Lost in space

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:02

After a quick look....that Diamine Sepia is the most unsepia-ish sepia I have ever seen.....and there are several there I now Must Have :)

Thanks again
Alex

#5 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:53

Hi Bender (I mean Alex),

Check out the grand comparison from Visvamitra: http://www.fountainp...ty-four-sepias/

#6 Alexcat

Alexcat

Lost in space

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:39

Hi Bender (I mean Alex),
Check out the grand comparison from Visvamitra: http://www.fountainp...ty-four-sepias/

Oh, my, what a wonderful selection....thank you. And feel free to call me Bender: just remember that my full name is Bender Bending Rodriguez. And bite my shiny metal ass ;)

Alex

#7 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,902 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 13:02

Hi,

Member dcpritch contributed a two-part Topic 'Sepia Toned Ink Comparison - 32 Inks' in the Ink Comparison Forum. Here's the link to Part One : http://www.fountainp...inks/?p=2176436

My own explorations of inks in that range are much less extensive, yet I've found that the appearance of those inks is very dependent on the Value (light to dark); and if one trends to the warmer hues, the ambient viewing light and paper base-tint become significant factors.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

#8 duende

duende

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 May 2015 - 21:47

I bought a bottle J. Herbin's Terre de Feu a couple of years ago. It didn't do it for me back then bacause the colour was too washed out. Recently, I've been having trouble finding a non-clogging ink for my finicky Kaweco Sport, so I decided to use Terre de Feu. So far so good. The Kaweco Sport Italic and Terre de Feu appear to be made for each other. The ink does not lay down a solid dark line, but it's subtle and mysterious.

terredefeu.jpg

#9 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 May 2015 - 22:48

My favorite is the Kobe Sepia. Performance, shading & perfection of color.

#10 The Good Captain

The Good Captain

Gaston F Limoges

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,725 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:47

I think that the R&K Sepia is a pretty accurate colour for the title. Having said that, I use Cult Pens/Diamine Deep Dark Brown all the time in one of my pens and it's a belter!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

#11 visvamitra

visvamitra

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 May 2015 - 08:01

I'm brown ink afficionado, I love most of them. The ones I would recommend are:

J. Herbin - Lie de The

Diamine - Macassar

Rohrer & Klingner - Sepia

Pilot Iroshizuku - yama-guri

Graf von Faber-Catsell - Hazelnut Brown

Noodler's - Brooklyn Brown / Brown / Walnut

and so many others but the inks I mentioned should be easill available.

#12 Alexcat

Alexcat

Lost in space

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 May 2015 - 08:17

Oh, now Im off on a wee brown shopping therapy trip.....online, of course....

Many, many thanks
Alex

#13 Alexcat

Alexcat

Lost in space

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 May 2015 - 09:36

Got me some R &K Sepia, plus a Leipziger Schwartz and a Private Reserve Vampire red .....why is it so hard to get just one ink? Specially when it's with cash from selling some books/DVDs I no longer use.

I wish there was a Noodlers supplier in the UK, other than the one I know of - which is good, but only carries a few.

And it just occurred to me....I think I've said here before that Im(have to fight the urge to use 'was'....I *still* am! just not done it for a while...) artist....one of my favourite things to do was monotone watercolours, and I loved the wide range of browns and greys. Somewhere I've got an enamel watercolour box which only has browns....and earthy shades, like Caput Mortuum, Venetian red, and so on. Some day I'll get back to it. Meantime - and definitely not instead of...it's an addition, not a replacement - Im loving my pens and inks.

Thanks again
Alex

#14 jasonchickerson

jasonchickerson

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 May 2015 - 01:39

I hope this can help you.

qi5dlp.jpg

The problem with this is that the *best* ink there was a bad bottle.

I highly recommend J Herbin Cacao du Brésil. 

Or Rohrer und Klingner Sepia, which is almost but not quite as nice and well-behaved.

_FUJ6384.jpg

Edited by jasonchickerson, 15 May 2015 - 01:40.

#15 PS104

PS104

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 02:46

try this link

http://www.fountainp...-your-thoughts/

#16 Abner C. Kemp

Abner C. Kemp

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 May 2015 - 01:56

I've been testing Noodler's Kiowa Pecan and am very impressed. It is much more of a sepia shade than I expected as it leans a bit yellowish. Still, it has a bit of red in it and is a little more "interesting" than your typical sepia. It also shades very well. 

#17 BMG

BMG

Medium Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 02:18

Let me add a little ol' plus one for Diamine Macassar (tho' I wouldn't consider it sepia), and add:

– Maruzen Athena Sepia

– Sailor Doyou

I always thought "sepia" (which apparently comes from the word for cuttlefish, in reference to its ink) was a more golden or reddish brown, like that in old engravings or vintage photographs, yet the latter two are truly black-browns, and the Macassar is, well, macassar (brown-black). In a wet pen they look almost black. I've been enjoying them of late.

Edited by BMG, 20 May 2015 - 02:18.

Écrire c’est tenter de savoir ce qu’on écrirait si on écrivait. – M. Duras

#18 JefferyS

JefferyS

"Don't tase me, bro!"

• Member - Gold

• 3,358 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 May 2015 - 03:59

Diamine Macassar is my favorite dark brown. Noodler's Walnut is also a nice dark brown, lighter than Macassar.
Jeffery
In the Irish Channel of
New Orleans, LA

#19 dokpm0

dokpm0

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 18:50

This may have been a dangerous thread for me to find.  I'm just starting to explore the world of bottled inks and I'm finding that I'm especially fond of brown and burgundy inks.  A couple of my current favorites are Diamine's Ancient Copper and Oxblood.  From the color samples linked to from this thread I see many more I'd like to try.  So many inks, so little time.  

#20 Lymnour

Lymnour

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 19:34

I love J. Herbin Lie de Té and use it daily. Haven't personally tried any of the others though. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ink, sepia, brown

Sponsored Content

|