How Do You Stop Buying Pens While Planning For A Nakaya?

htjester

Nakaya?

"It's a pen,

it's just a pen

and I had so many pens before

in very many ways

it's just one more" :)

Each pen I want is the grail pen - at least until I hold it in my hands.

Thereafter I'll find a new one.

Nakaya is too expensive for my purse, the game would be up.

But I want continue playing the game :)

Word man, word.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Frank C

• Algester

• htjester

• ethernautrix

Oh yeah. I forgot to mention that the Nakaya Shield is impervious to other Nakayas. The price of the pens, though, usually helps, at least to delay the inevitable.

You "forgot to mention" this until long after I had bought a Piccolo in Shu while waiting for my Naka-ai in un-polished Shu. I would be unhappy except for being too happy with both of these Nakayas. :wub:

David

The OP describes me last summer. I wanted a Nakaya. So, I looked at my budget, figured out when I could pay for it, and stopped buying. That took willpower for the first few months. Then it became easier.

I'll admit that I cheated once. I came into some extra money (actually enough to buy several Nakayas). I cheated and bought a Lamy 2000 with part of that money. I did not put any of that money toward the Nakaya: I'm strange that way.

Now, I'll admit that during the months of saving, I sort of fell out of love with the idea of a Nakaya. Too much money for a single pen. I started cutting things from my lifestyle just to get to my goal and get it over with. I ended up saving for the Nakaya with my regular savings a month early.

By saving all that time, I learned two things: I could pay for a Nakaya with my income and that once I could pay for it, I didn't want it after all.

So, willpower. And, if you do save enough to pay cash for it, the pen will be so much the sweeter.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

" . . . . stop buying pens . . . "

You are just talking foolishness. Do you think this is one of those " Xxxxxxx Anonymous " groups ? :lticaptd:

We are enablers, and you will never be free of us.

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

You "forgot to mention" this until long after I had bought a Piccolo in Shu while waiting for my Naka-ai in un-polished Shu. I would be unhappy except for being too happy with both of these Nakayas. :wub:

David

The problem ("problem") with Nakaya if you want only one pen, even if you know which is your favorite model (mine is the Piccolo), is settling for only one finish. I could not choose between the kuro tamenuri and the unpolished shu. And heki tamenuri. Might as well throw in the aka tamenuri. So that's four minimum. Thus and so...

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

if I were you as I did say YMMV as I am that type of guy if you really want a Nakaya contact CFP and say you want a bespoke Nakaya that would make it reasonably go into the 2K USD range and go all out with it that is all, or you can also go get a Hakase with tortoise shell on it so you will be forced to go to Japan and wait for it in 6 months cause that can't be exported

seriously everyone here I know orders from CFP but I havent seen anyone actually post their very own crossbreed Nakaya pen or how far does their form modification go for

Edited by Algester

I'm just starting.The pen as a tool is not a good idea. Have you seen my toolbox? It's full of screwdriver sets, and allen wrench sets. I'm just glad pens aren't sold by sets as far as nibs go.

I'm just starting.The pen as a tool is not a good idea. Have you seen my toolbox? It's full of screwdriver sets, and allen wrench sets. I'm just glad pens aren't sold by sets as far as nibs go.

Is this what you're talking about?

http://www.nibs.com/AuroraCalligraphySet.htm

or this

http://www.nibs.com/omas-90th-anniversary-set.htm

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

I can't believe you've done this!

There go Christmases and birthdays for the next 30 years!

There's also an older Omas set with every nib they produced at the time. Here's a topic with that:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/289073-omas-90th-anniversary-set-unboxing/

I really wanted one of these when they first came out, but couldn't afford it.

Sorry to ruin your Christmases and Birthdays for years to come, but you will get some nice pens out of it.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

The problem ("problem") with Nakaya if you want only one pen, even if you know which is your favorite model (mine is the Piccolo), is settling for only one finish. I could not choose between the kuro tamenuri and the unpolished shu. And heki tamenuri. Might as well throw in the aka tamenuri. So that's four minimum. Thus and so...

Yes. I am quite familiar with this "problem." But does it reside "with Nakaya?" I am reconciled to owning the problem.

David

Yes. I am quite familiar with this "problem." But does it reside "with Nakaya?" I am reconciled to owning the problem.

David

I'm kindv laughing (in my head), cos I was forced to use credit card reward points or forfeit them by the end of this month (for some other benefit), so I went ahead and ordered a Namiki Falcon (red resin/chrome trim, EF). I have wanted a Falcon ever since I gave mine to a very good friend, but always talked myself out of it. With the points, I was able to buy one through Amazon at one-third the cost. It will be waiting for me in California for a couple of months until I get there.

I'm also thinking about a kuro tamenuri Piccolo (B) (yes, a B nib!), because... I don't use my kuro Long Piccolo (which I will probably sell); I don't have a Nakaya B nib; San Francisco Pen Show; and imagine, a pen case with a few Piccolos all neatly carried together. I can't even!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

If I had to go back and start my fountain pen collection/habit/addiction over again with the benefit of what I know now, I could make a compelling argument to only have Nakayas. I love my vintage fountain pens as their value/performance is outstanding. But you can make the wait, save your pen money, and get a piece of modern craftsmanship.

Buzz

Stop coming here and shopping on-line is really the best hope unless you have a lot of will power. Not a fun or easy solution.

Truer words...

If someone figured out how to make a chastity belt for Fountain Pen addicts' wallets/purses they would become rich. Hated and very rich. Or you can do what I did. Get married, have kids, and look at the price universities.

"In this world... you must be oh, so smart, or oh, so pleasant. Well for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant."

Truer words...

If someone figured out how to make a chastity belt for Fountain Pen addicts' wallets/purses they would become rich. Hated and very rich. Or you can do what I did. Get married, have kids, and look at the price universities.

Send the kids to community college.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

If you love Platinum save your pennies and get a Nakaya. I think you will be happier with the nib, especially if you order it from someone like John Mottishaw at nibs.com who will adjust it to your specifications. Sailor nibs are very non-flexible but smooth, a delight to use.

Love all, trust a few, do harm to none. Shakespeare

send the kids to a state school in a system that still has some governmental support ! Depends on the campus but many places, the more you save for college tuition, the more they'll cut from that need-based aid package

Truer words...

Thanks for the ongoing comments. I've resolved to wait this out. Funds aren't actually a problem. If I abstain from other luxuries (ahem, good bourbon) I could order this now. This raises a second important question: when ordering first nakaya, do you order the pen in anticipation of a special event so the pen arrives for it or after it has happened so the pen's purchase is the celebration? I've read the merits of ordering through nibs.com v. nakaya proper. not sure who I'll order from yet.

they have their merits both likewise ordering from Nakaya means you can probably get it off "cheaper" if you go for the yen rate basis but your still stumped with a 6-8 months of waiting, as for CFP your probably get the more "instant gratification" part if the pen is in ready shipping availability

. . . If I abstain from other luxuries (ahem, good bourbon) I could order this now. . . .

You have to choose between Nakayas and Bourbon? I need a drink. Will it be Knob Creek, Woodford Reserve, or that bottle of Pappy Van Winkle, I have around here somewhere?

You have to choose between Nakayas and Bourbon? I need a drink. Will it be Knob Creek, Woodford Reserve, or that bottle of Pappy Van Winkle, I have around here somewhere?

Acquiring good bourbon outside the US can get expensive. cutting impulse buys of cheaper pens and trimming the luxury liquor budget would add up to substantial savings for many over 6 months. Enjoy that Pappy!

they have their merits both likewise ordering from Nakaya means you can probably get it off "cheaper" if you go for the yen rate basis but your still stumped with a 6-8 months of waiting, as for CFP your probably get the more "instant gratification" part if the pen is in ready shipping availability

Doesn't Nakaya also tune nibs to writer's specifications? With a custom pen, the wait will be the same from either vendor and postal costs are about the same.