How Do You Stop Buying Pens While Planning For A Nakaya?

htjester

After deciding Platinum pens are my favorite nibs, I started looking at Nakayas. Who doesn't? This forum is full of enablers. Anyway, I want to place the order of my first Nakaya to commemorate a career milestone expected around 6 months from now. I've determined exactly what model, nib, and customizations this pen will have. Yet I keep encountering glorious pens on clearance and buying them. (decapod twist, SF, dragon stopper, heki-tamenuri finish).

Since making that decision I've come close to spending the price of that Nakaya on other pens. I'm staring down a Sailor Pro Gear in the perfect color at the perfect price with a zoom nib this very moment.

Talk me out of the Sailor or talk me into it. I have never owned a Sailor pen.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Frank C

• Algester

• htjester

• ethernautrix

I'm in a similar position to you, htjester, and it's hugely difficult to exercise the willpower required to only buy 'the next pen on the list.' Are you a collector/dealer or just a user?

I'm a user who just likes to have a variety of tools at my disposal. Accordingly, it is (marginally) easier to turn down a pen just because it's a good price. I don't plan to sell any of my pens (famous last words), so as long as I restrict myself to pens I actually want to use, the price paid doesn't matter so much.

Do you think you'd get more joy out of the Nakaya (which will be made for you and on which you've been decided for months), or the Sailor (which, unless it's a limited edition, will still be available in 6 months' time, and will probably be at the 'right price' then too)?

This thread isn't about me, but like you, when I'm considering an 'expensive pen' I compensate by buying a couple of less expensive pens that I don't really want as much, but which are more justifiable. This is fallacious reasoning as the price of the expensive pen has effectively been doubled! (and you can only write with one pen at a time)

Thanks for asking this question, because in answering it, I think I've answered my own question...

Good luck - I'm sure you'll enjoy whichever pen you choose!

bayesianprior.png

since a you said you havent touched a Sailor pen I do suggest that you first test one because its totally a YMMV case but since your really inclined to Platinums then Nakaya will be your next step up

unless indeed that Sailor is a limited edition pen which is only normal if your buying in Japan (I have seen far too many limited edition pens from Sailor) but uncommon and totally impossible if your buying from your local retailers

Edited by Algester

I've never worked out how to do it. That's why I don't have a Nakaya. :wallbash:

I learned how to do it but it takes years of forward thinking its akin to say financial clairvoyance LOL but in the end I opted not to buy me my grail pen ASAP

its a very self destructive process but you have to force yourself to look at your budget 3-5 years at a time

Edited by Algester

When I ordered one of my first Nakayas, I was surprised and delighted to find that the Nakaya Shield went up that prevented me from buying other pens until I had paid for the Nakaya (at the time, I wasn't charged until nibs.com was set to deliver the pen. I think that might have changed.).

Since I ordered mine with a kanji character, it was a custom order and took a few months. It was very effective. I was sorely tempted many times to buy other pens, but I would not mess with the Nakaya Shield.

While I have bought other pens (when the Nakaya Shield was down), I have not bought those other pens that were so appealing (and a couple of them are still appealing), and I don't feel the need to have them.

My purchasing overall has been reduced. The last pen I bought was a Nakaya, and that was more than a year ago.

This was my experience. Every time I ordered a Nakaya, I was unable to purchase other pens. I don't know if that will work for you. I also had many years of periodic binge buying, so I had plenty of experience with a bunch of pens, many of which (although completely functional) no longer appealed to me. That also helped to stem the pen coveting.

Sailor makes good pens. But if you want to commemorate a special occasion, I would go with the Nakaya. (I mean, of course I'm going to say that.)

Annnnnd, of course, there is the perhaps inevitable scenario in which you buy both. (Been there, done that (but not at the same time), still very pleased with my Nakayas.)

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Good luck with this strategy. I have never been able to avoid a pen that I think I will like.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

If you buy all the pens you want, you'll end up feeling bad in the long term, assuming you have limited funds. It is a much more enjoyable feeling to decide which pen you want most and to focus on that one.

I am in a similar situation in that I am hoping to buy a Montblanc 149 90th Anniversary edition. I have come with a few ways of waiting.

One thing I am doing is going through all the pens I currently own and using them, making sure they are working perfectly and trying each of them with different inks. This is a good diversion.

The other thing I am doing is to put away the money I would have spent when I am tempted by another pen. For example, I have a gorgeous Pilot Custom Heritage 91nin Yama Budo. It is tempting to buy the one in blue. But instead of doing that, I am setting aside the money I would have spent on the blue Pilot and putting it in savings for the 149.

And this may be a really crazy thought, but a little less time on FPN looking at all the other wonderful pens helps also :)

God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.

-Bill Waterson

A dilemma we all seem to face when it comes to our grail pen, usually because they cost so much more. I am still waiting for my Naka to arrive, its been 9 months now and I only softened once, so the Nakaya shield seems to be holding. However, it is weakening for another Nakaya.

I have also found that if a pen show is coming up fairly soon that will have Nibs.com present helps me to put off the inevitable.

Good luck :yikes:

A dilemma we all seem to face when it comes to our grail pen, usually because they cost so much more. I am still waiting for my Naka to arrive, its been 9 months now and I only softened once, so the Nakaya shield seems to be holding. However, it is weakening for another Nakaya.

I have also found that if a pen show is coming up fairly soon that will have Nibs.com present helps me to put off the inevitable.

Good luck :yikes:

Oh yeah. I forgot to mention that the Nakaya Shield is impervious to other Nakayas. The price of the pens, though, usually helps, at least to delay the inevitable.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Simple. Order the Nakaya. Turn off your internet. Cancel your phone. And isolate yourself to a cabin in the woods for 6 months.

Sent via satellite from tree house pen sanctum. Fedex still delivers out here!!

Simple. Order the Nakaya. Turn off your internet. Cancel your phone. And isolate yourself to a cabin in the woods for 6 months.

Sent via satellite from tree house pen sanctum. Fedex still delivers out here!!

Surely you'd need to buy another pen made of the same wood as the tree house?!

bayesianprior.png

OOooooo... maybe Hakase will make you a custom pen, if you supply the treehouse wood...

Scientia potentia est.

Make the Nakaya the reward for the discipline of not purchasing other pens

Thanks for the strategies and the reminder that the Sailor will still be around if I want it later. I am going to keep waiting and hope the Nakaya shield works.

Nakaya?

"It's a pen,

it's just a pen

and I had so many pens before

in very many ways

it's just one more" :)

Each pen I want is the grail pen - at least until I hold it in my hands.

Thereafter I'll find a new one.

Nakaya is too expensive for my purse, the game would be up.

But I want continue playing the game :)

Stop coming here and shopping on-line is really the best hope unless you have a lot of will power. Not a fun or easy solution.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!