I'll Take This Beat Up Estie Box Over The Fancy New One Any Day.

MxMJ

Just picked this box up, Now I've got a dilemma. I bought them to restore and resell but now I don't want to break the set up!

http://i.imgur.com/EagDZI7l.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/0rT2vuCl.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MxMJ

• bardharlock

• gregamckinney

• ac12

Hook...Line....

Nice grab. You could always restore them, and then sell them as a set. The hardest thing to do when you truly don't want to collect, but fix and sell, is to learn to let go. I've sold a fair amount of nice pens this past year, and I'll surely sell more. It's fun to get them, fix them, use them for a while and then move on to the next project.

I'd sell the group as is. No messing with them. Just sell them as is.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I'd sell the group as is. No messing with them. Just sell them as is.

That's what I'm leaning towards, I think it will sit for a while though. Probably not many buyers of 6 nibless LJs at once.

Edited by MxMJ

Do as Farmboy said.

The pens still have the labels.

It is of MORE value to a collector "as is" and "as a set," than to a user restored and sold individually.

WARNING. you can damage/destroy the pen attempting to remove the section (I have). Then you are down 1 pen, and the set is now incomplete.

If the word goes out, the collectors will come.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I'd keep them original, just as they are. That's what would get my attention if I was a buyer.

John L

That's what I'm leaning towards, I think it will sit for a while though. Probably not many buyers of 6 nibless LJs at once.

Depends on the price. :)

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

+1 for "set as is". Likely, since they haven't been inked, the sacs are still good, and only need a nib. But in the box, a complete "sampler", it qualifies as a historical bit of "ephemera" as well. Good C-worder stuff.

And as Brian notes, Depends on the price.

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

Agree with FarmBoy et al...sell them as is. I think you'd find a lot of serious Esterbrook collectors very interested...especially all of us who used to buy large bags of NOS nibs from Frank Dubiel back in the day. May he rest in peace.

I don't really know how to value it other than I know it's worth more than I paid :D

Maybe it will end up on eBay at some point in the near future, I do like looking at it though...

• 2 weeks later...

Nice score, I would sell them a set.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I ran across something similar a few years ago, but since I'm a confirmed c-worder, I never worried about restoration or sale.

http://gergyor.com/images/esterbrook_icicle_x4_in_box.jpg

Best Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

Sorry Greg, but MxMJ has you beat. Okay I say this strictly because I'm just such a sucker for the mackerels. :rolleyes:

So -- what are the nibs on both these sets? Inquiring minds want to know!

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

icicles !!!!

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Sorry Greg, but MxMJ has you beat. Okay I say this strictly because I'm just such a sucker for the mackerels. :rolleyes:

So -- what are the nibs on both these sets? Inquiring minds want to know!

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

MxMJ definitely has me beat. Wow!

greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

Look, I don't do this for just anyone, but you seem like a good guy. I know these aren't those dollar pens Esterbrook made. These were more expensive. You've got six. I'm willing to go as high as three bucks a piece. Eh, you know what? For a nice young man from the great state of Oklahoma, I'll make it a round $20 bill to take those antiquated old things off your hands. I mean they don't even have nibs or feeds, but I'll take a hit for ya, kid. That's just the sort of guy I am. ;)

That is one exceptional find. I have an orange J and a red SJ and I love them both. I keep hoping to scare a good deal on a grey and a black, hopefully a "Bell" imprinted one. Every time I use the Bell systems black one I intend to play an old Lily Tomlin album I have on vinyl of her doing her Ernestine character. It was called "This is a Recording." Hilarious skit of her talking to J. Edgar Hoover. You can find it on YouTube if you look.

"In this world... you must be oh, so smart, or oh, so pleasant. Well for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant."

gregamckinney: If my box looked like that, i would be much more temped to keep it. Great set!

inkstainedruth: there aren't nibs in any of mine

badharlock: haha, gonna have to pass. I'm a nice guy but not that nice :)

For those interested, the set is up on the bay now, opening bid is quite reasonable in my (unbiased ;)) opinion.