Iphone Problems - Fixed As Of 2015-05-13 19:11 Edt / 00:11 Bst !

wimg

Fully closed both apps, cleared the caches, refreshed the page in both browsers, and did a hard reset of the phone. Still can't sign in on Safari or Chrome. It's not a big deal for me because I have other devices, but I just figured I'd check and report back.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• Fabienne

• Ghost Plane

• Cyber6

Then I must still be in full. I no longer see a way to shift in bottom left. Tried signing in & informed username or password incorrect

Then I must still be in full. I no longer see a way to shift in bottom left. Tried signing in & informed username or password incorrect

That normally is a cache problem. It likely stores the session key it uses somewhere, and doesn't let go of it in a reasonable time.

I reset the test user log in name, and I actually had to try twice before I could log in, and had to go back to https://www.fountainpennetwork.com in order to do so.

Been trying all kinds of stuff here....

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Posting rights have not been removed by anybody, I can assure you :).

Did you mean to say that you can actually log in on your iPhone now, just that you can still not post?

Warm regards, Wim

Does not look like it, at least as of an hour ago. Sorry, it's not fully functional.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

Well, I just made one more final change, and recached server side, which means you may have to clean out browser cache one last time.

If that doesn't help, we may have to wait for another patch from Apple I am afraid. It looks now like a recent patch for 8.3 caused this to happen.

Having said that, the cavalry is currently looking into it as well :).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Well, after a lot of testing and checking, in the mean time we are now almost 100% that it is purely an iPhone issue.

No error is generated in the error log at all when trying to log in with an iPhone, It just doesn't do anything. No error, nothing, nada.

Based on discussions with our own cavalry, it is most likely caused by a recent (silent) patch to the iOS 8.3 version on iPhones.

There is one more thing we can test, to make 100% sure instead of 99.999%, but that requires setting up another test environment, which will take about a day to do. Basically also because it is 5 am over here right now.

More tomorrow (or later today as may be the case).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

That explains it...

Obviously I can log in from a PC, but not my iPhone running 8.3 (12F70)

I don't know if the build number is significant.

I did upgrade to 8.3, but that was a couple of weeks ago. I don't know of any system updates since then, but if it was silent, then I wouldn't.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

OK manana, m'dear.

Well, after a lot of testing and checking, in the mean time we are now almost 100% that it is purely an iPhone issue.

This seems unlikely.

I am still on ios 8.1.2 (iphone 6) and getting this error. It all started about 1-2 days back, prior to which it was working fine. It started with me not being able to login to FPN (i was logged in with the 'keep me logged in' option and was automatically logged out 2 days back, couldn't log in thereafter). Then, since yesterday the browser (safari) simply displays that error page. I checked just now and it seems that the site can be accessed but its loading painfully slow... (couldn't check if i can log in though).

Please note that no changes were made to the phone software for past few weeks (not even any new apps were installed).

Edited by puneet.singh

Based on discussions with our own cavalry, it is most likely caused by a recent (silent) patch to the iOS 8.3 version on iPhones.

I am experiencing the login problem on IOS 7.1.2.

And my experience was exactly as Puneet described above. I was signed in on my phone with the "remember me" option, and a couple days ago I noticed I was no longer logged in and could not login again.

Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized. -- Albert Einstein

Ladies and gentlemen,

There appears to be a problem logging in to FPN from iPhones.

iPads work fine, Android devices work fine, non-mobile devices work fine.

We would appreciate it if someone could do a proper browser cache clean-out on an iPhone, which isn't easy to do, and do a hard reset as well, i.e., switch off, remove the battery for a few minutes, and start up again.

We do know now that this is not related to the forum software, as all of the changes we made over the last few days prior to the problems with iPhones were undone for testing - no difference. In fact the problems only started a day and a half after the last change.

This means there are still 2 possibilities:

1. An update to iPhone, iOS or Safari, all on the iPhone, is causing this, hence the suggestion above, or

2. A security update on the actual server software is causing this.

We are investigating both.

In the mean time, if someone could try our suggestion of a clean-out and hard reset, and report back to us on the result, we would really appreciate it.

Thank you very much in advance.

Warm regards, Wim

Just being pedantic, but you cannot take the battery out of an iPhone!! :)

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

My Pen Wraps are for sale in my Etsy shop

Well, I just made one more final change, and recached server side, which means you may have to clean out browser cache one last time.

If that doesn't help, we may have to wait for another patch from Apple I am afraid. It looks now like a recent patch for 8.3 caused this to happen.

Having said that, the cavalry is currently looking into it as well :).

Warm regards, Wim

Dear Wim,

Sorry, but I think it is not due to a (silent) patch on the iPhone. I don't do any software updates or downloads on the iphone over the air. I only do them via my computer (by USB link). Since I was away on holiday since May 1st, it is highly unlikely that it is caused by the iPhone.

I hope that this helps.

Best regards, Lucas

Just being pedantic, but you cannot take the battery out of an iPhone!! :)

I can assure you, it can be removed. Is not "user" replaceable ... but Apple technicians and people with small screwdrivers and no Apple warranty can do it easily.

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

As to the battery on an iPhone: I just assumed it can be removed, as I can do so with my mobile Android devices - I have no personal experience with iPhones.

Regarding silent patches for IOS: I do know they occur, I trust the person telling me so.

Do note that the reports we had about software acting strange, worked fine for the last year and a half. Also, we have reverted everything to the situation on May 2 now, so if nothing else has changed beyond our control, it means something out of our control must have changed. We did note that the change happened about 48 hours ago now, where we see a blip happening in some of our analytics software.

In addition, all other devices work just fine, any Android devices, PCs, laptops, and even Macs as far as we are aware, although we cannot confirm this.

One thing I noticed early this morning, just before finally getting some kip, is that my iPad testing device runs iOS 5.5, and that works well.

For those interested, in the error logs nothing at all happens when people try to log in via iPhone. This is something we verified over and over again. It looks like user id and password are not transmitted to the site, to the login functionality. This was tested with an iPhone 5 running iOS 8.3, of which we know it worked fine half a year or so ago.

Anyway, we'll keep you informed of any progress we make or hear about.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

iPad mini is 8.3 build 12F69 - can log in

iPhone 6 is on 8.3 build 12F70 - can't log in

In both cases I always use private browsing mode which is supposed to clear cache and cookies every time you end the session.

I just tried Mercury, and it doesn't log in either. Latest update version too, so it's not Safari.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Thanks Ron!

That seems at least partly to confirm our suspicions. The iPhone we tested with last night also runs builds 12F70.

Now just wondering about the iOS 7.2 iPhone :).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Another vote for 12F70 not working with FPN. Tried it just now and got the same result. Good luck.

I can assure you, it can be removed. Is not "user" replaceable ... but Apple technicians and people with small screwdrivers and no Apple warranty can do it easily.

C.

Well yes that was what I meant!!

iPad and iPad mini can log in, iPhone can't.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

My Pen Wraps are for sale in my Etsy shop

That is true for my test iPad, and Android tablet, and Android phones as well.

Typing is only fast on my PC and laptops :).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman