Twsbi 580 Or Pelikan M200?

vPro

Hello FPN!

I'm saving up for my next pen which I am going to purchase in the next 3-5 month. I know this isn't a 'fair comparison' since the Pelikan is twice as expensive as the TWSBI, but I want to know which pen to settle for so I know how much to set aside each month :)

I'm looking for a clear demonstrator with a piston filler and most importantly a good nib. I love silky smooth nibs :)

So which do you think would be the wisest to go for? I'm in no rush to purchase a pen since I have 6 pens already!

(Do Pelikan have a M400 Demonstrator?)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vPro

• ac12

• KBeezie

• fly_us

Top Posters In This Topic

I like demonstrator pens and was wondering the same thing myself (it gets asked a lot I think because these two pens surface as logical choices for piston demonstrators at a reasonable price).

You can buy an M200 demonstrator from Japan for about $100 with all the risks that this entails.

The TWSBI starts at $50.

I didn't buy the M200 (I bought a Pilot 823 which I also really like) but did buy the TWSBI and could not be happier. I dithered because I got scared off by the reports of manufacturing defects but I take it that the company really stands behind their pens so if I have a problem I can send it in.

I am looking at getting the rose-gold 580 and maybe a Vac700. I can easily see why these pens have such a devoted following.

For the money they can't be beat. I really like my 580 EF and the nib just works like a charm, starts beautifully, no skips and lays down a beautiful line.

As I say I can't speak from experience about the M200 but many, many others can who have both.

If you are watching your pennies and saving up I would say start with a 580. It's half the price of the M200 with much less risk if you get a problem pen.

I have both and like them both. My Pelikan is an older model though and I heard the nibs have changed, so I can't speak for the current nibs. I bought my Pelikan around 2008, don't know if the nibs changed before or after that year.

I love writing with both pens, but I do use them for different purposes. The nib on my M200 is soft, so I use it when I can take the time to write. That way, I can ensure I won't be too "brutal" on the nib in my haste to write. If I'm taking notes at a meeting, or have to write a lot of text and can't take my time to do so, then I use the TWSBI 580. The nib is not as soft as the one on my Pelikan and feels like it can take a little bit more "abuse" as I write quickly. Both are definitely a joy to me, they just fulfill different needs.

That is one of those questions that only the person asking it can answer. Not unlike which socks are the most comfortable.

I have a couple of M200s and I don't care for them.
I have a TWSBI Mini which I do like.

Thats me. Others have said the opposite.
I am one of the few people who think the M800 sucks and is far inferior for writing over the M600. Again, it is a matter of personal taste.

Good luck on your search.

YMMV

Hard call.

I have both a TWSBI 530 and a Pelikan M200. They both get rotated into and out of use. The M200 feels trimmer, for a smaller hand, but the larger TWSBI is surprisingly comfortable in my somewhat small hand (for a guy). Visually the nib of the TWSBI is much larger than the nib of the M200/205.

Do you post the pen? The Pelikan M200 is used posted, but the TWSBI is not designed to be posted. Well you could post the TWSBI, but the cap would be on the knob that is used to fill the pen, and an accidental turn of the cap could result in ink dripping onto your paper or your clothes. The TWSBI also feels off balanced (tail-heavy) when posted. I normally post my pens, but the TWSBI is easily used unposted, with the cap in my left hand.

I would get the TWSBI first, then continue save up for the Pelikan M200 later.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Honestly I want to climb the pen ladder. I currently have 6 pens, and I don't plan on owning much more than 10 (for now). For me, there's very little point in getting yet another mediocre pen. I'd say my next pen may cost as much as £100, but it better be worth it!

I had a look at the new, special edition Pelikan M800 demonstrator, and while they're very nice, they cost £345! That's not the kind of pen I'm looking for.

I post my pens wherever possible (or needed). It's not a must but I prefer it since I then know where the cap is. And the pen won't be able to do the roll of death.

Honestly I want to climb the pen ladder. I currently have 6 pens, and I don't plan on owning much more than 10 (for now). For me, there's very little point in getting yet another mediocre pen. I'd say my next pen may cost as much as £100, but it better be worth it!

I post my pens wherever possible (or needed). It's not a must but I prefer it since I then know where the cap is. And the pen won't be able to do the roll of death.

Then maybe skip the TWSBI and go for the Pelikan M200. Then you are at the $100 pen level.

Although I would not call the TWSBI a mediocre pen.

www.SFPenShow.com

I wasn't implying that the TWSBI is mediocre - just that my next purchase should be a step up from what I currently have!

Just watched Matt Armstrong (from the Pen Habit)'s review of the TWSBI 580 Rose Gold and he really made me want one, it seems so well put together and the piston filling mechanism, clear barrel and black/gold combination is very attractive.

In general I love Matt's reviews. They're splendid.

I have not yet decided, but I'm leaning towards the TWSBI which (in rose gold) will set me back £70 shipped and the clear demonstrator will cost me £50 shopped.

Yes the rose gold with either black or white is nice.

I was considering the rose gold white mini.

www.SFPenShow.com

I have both the 580 and not one but two M205's. (F,M)

My 580 is a B I had "Tomahawk'd" by Art of Art's Nibs.

All are wonderful writers. Today I am carrying the 580 and one of my M205's (F).

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Can get the Cognac version of the M200 for around $100-110 if you like demonstrators (Far as M200 vs TWSBI 580, I would go M200 each time, especially in regards to reliability, plus I just like the look of the M200 better).

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/penroom/item/26575/

fpn_1431305827__tumblr_nirb8sqhhs1sdybhd

I have and use both. Biggest difference for me: the weight. The TWSBI is far bigger and heavier. I find that my hand becomes fatigued when I use the TWSBI for extended periods of time. I do post - don't want to risk losing the cap - so I suppose I have only myself to blame. :) It is what it is.

Also should admit that I have three? four? TWSBIs. I use two regularly, though not as regularly as other - lighter - pens in my collection.

Can get the Cognac version of the M200 for around $100-110 if you like demonstrators (Far as M200 vs TWSBI 580, I would go M200 each time, especially in regards to reliability, plus I just like the look of the M200 better).

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/penroom/item/26575/

<photo snipped . . . scroll up 2 posts to see photo of Pelican M200 Cognac :) >

The Cognac is beautiful ... and so tempting. I picked up my very first Pelikan last August and loved it so much that it multiplied into 4 more. With 5 M2xx pens, you'd think I should stop looking at these and expand my horizons. But these little pens are perfect in size and weight for my petite hands. Thanks for the link to Rakuten, I hadn't seen this site before. Will bookmark it for future reference. I can't afford to buy another pen for a little while since I just pulled the trigger on a Lamy 2000, darn impulse clicking.

Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized. -- Albert Einstein

FayeV

With small hand, you should take a look at the M100/150. They are slightly smaller than the M200/205. For size, I prefer the 1xx over the 2xxx. But then I was brought up in the era of 'slimline' pens.

I hope the L-2000 works out for you.

There will be a Pen Posse on May 17 in Millbrae. Check the club section for specifics.

see ya

www.SFPenShow.com

... I just pulled the trigger on a Lamy 2000, darn impulse clicking. ...

Can't really blame ya, the Lamy 2000 is the only Lamy I actually managed to keep, nib was a bit of a pain, but I Was able to to tune it's flow, and smooth the nib (which was already aligned but was rough, and too dry), so now it's pretty much perfect for an actual EF. I love my Pelikan 400NN from 1956, but the Lamy 2000 is the one I'd prefer to pocket carry if I didn't have room for my leather case.

It's not my most favorite, but I can't deny the appeal to it's simplistic and yet attractive design (seems modern, yet been around since the 60s).

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/lamy2k/uncapped.jpg

Hope you like it, I don't usually say this, but I think it's a pen that people should least write with once. (guess some could say the same of a Montblanc or Nakaya... but some people gotta eat. :D )

Edited by KBeezie

I have and use them both as daily writers. I don't liking posting my pens so I'm inclined to use the 580 which is full size without posting.

However, I prefer the Pelikan's nib. It's wetter and smoother than my TWSBI nib.

It really depends on how you like your pens (in terms of length etc). Both are great pens and you won't go wrong picking either.

(My pick would be Pelikan, but then I'm a bird lover. I'm not the most fair, that I'll admit :lol: )

Nibs can be adjusted to write silky smooth, so don't worry about that.

(And no, Pelikan doesn't have a M400 demo. Anyhow, the difference between the M200 and the M400 involves the nib, in which the former has gold plated steel nib, while the latter has a 14K gold nib)

Good luck with choosing and enjoy your new pen when you get it!

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

I have one Pelikan (M400 I think) which never ever fails, and writes very smothly. I haven't had any experience with TWSBI but they seem to have problems (cracked parts etc); two other options might be the Pilot Heritage 92 and the Platinum 3776 Sai.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everybody. I read every single post that you wrote and I have been thinking quite a bit about it.

I usually post my pens - especially if they are a tad too small. I have medium-sized hands and till now, all my pens have been quite small. The only con (for me) about the TWSBI is that it can't be posted. That's no deal-breaker, however.

My current consideration is to get a TWSBI and have the nib ground down to a cursive italic, so tomorrow I'll contact a retailer in the Netherlands (where I currently have a %10 discount coupon) to see if they can do it for me, and how much it would cost in total.

My main reason for not choosing the Pelikan this time around, is because it's expensive, seems to be quite small and I don't think you're getting much extra for the money other than the name. I could be wrong though. If I'm completely mistaken, there's still time to convince me otherwise. I'm easy to manipulate.

Thank you everybody. I read every single post that you wrote and I have been thinking quite a bit about it.

I usually post my pens - especially if they are a tad too small. I have medium-sized hands and till now, all my pens have been quite small. The only con (for me) about the TWSBI is that it can't be posted. That's no deal-breaker, however.

My current consideration is to get a TWSBI and have the nib ground down to a cursive italic, so tomorrow I'll contact a retailer in the Netherlands (where I currently have a %10 discount coupon) to see if they can do it for me, and how much it would cost in total.

My main reason for not choosing the Pelikan this time around, is because it's expensive, seems to be quite small and I don't think you're getting much extra for the money other than the name. I could be wrong though. If I'm completely mistaken, there's still time to convince me otherwise. I'm easy to manipulate.

Just the personal preferrence, i prefer Pelikan because it is small, and i like the feeling in my hand.

I will start with TWSBI first, then think about more expensive one later. Once you start jump into that pool, very hard to pull back.

I like the Pelikan M200 better, for its appearance and comfort of use and carry.

At half the price, a TWSBI is excellent utility. I comes from a very good company

that stands by its product. In what environment will you be using this pen ?

You would be well-served by either, and I am certain that you will eventually have both.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !