The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Micro-Mesh Smoother Than Mylar?

diy smooth nib adjusting

21 replies to this topic

#21 spider_writer

spider_writer

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2015 - 12:31

Hi all newbie here, all this talk of getting a super fine polish to the nibs has reminded me of something else. One of my other hobbies is knife collecting, I like my blades to be scary sharp and the final finishing touch to get a blade like that is to strop it on leather with polishing compounds. This removes very little metal and makes a world of difference and gives a mirror polished look. Would this work on a nib? or is that too shiney.

Sponsored Content

#22 Perdification

Perdification

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 15:49

I find that using the white (0.3um) lapping film makes the pen give more feedback than the yellow/green one (1 um) for some reason... As such, after the grey 12000 grit buffing stick, I go to the yellow mylar and stop there. The white one just ruins everything for me... Strange considering that white should give a smoother effect due to its finer grit... Anyone has any idea why? Am I using it wrongly?

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: diy, smooth, nib, adjusting

Sponsored Content

|