The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Learning Italic Vs Learning Blackletter

learning calligraphy blackletter italic

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 silver ink

silver ink

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2015 - 05:44

bo_zpsbbavmqcl.jpg

"On every dishonest man,there are two watchmen,his possessions and his way of living."

Hazrat Umar bin Khattab (May Allah be pleased with him)

Sponsored Content

#22 patrickfp

patrickfp

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 14:16

Very nice Silver Ink.

When it comes to writing numerals, how many pen widths do use ?

#23 silver ink

silver ink

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 June 2015 - 11:21

is it right?

"On every dishonest man,there are two watchmen,his possessions and his way of living."

#24 delano

delano

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 June 2015 - 13:04

I've never attempted blackletter, but was attracted to the idea.  That's what brought me to this thread.  These are some beautiful works, -- and I can see how the beauty of the more saturated inks can be hilighted.

#25 silver ink

silver ink

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 June 2015 - 07:22

bn_zpsep9lxfxs.jpg

br_zps2kzwltco.jpg

#26 patrickfp

patrickfp

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 15:35

After three weeks (an hour here, an hour there), this is where I am. I need more consistency and straighter strokes. That said, three weeks ago, I did not even think I would be able to do this. This was written with Pilot Parallel 2.4mm pens on Southwork parchment paper.  Note that I made a mistake in the first d in "de" :(

IMG-20150621-00411_zpscicmkvrn.jpg

#27 patrickfp

patrickfp

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 13:08

Has anyone had the chance to see a medieval manuscript in person?  I would like to see one in person at least once in my life. I don't know if there is a library in Toronto where I can do that.

Anyway, I would like to know the size of the pen usually used for a book such as a book of hours. To me, any stroke thinner than 2 mm does not show the beauty of black letter. I tried the Manuscript 2B nib, but gave up. For now I am quite happy with either Manuscript 4B or Pilot Parallel 2.4mm, which creates 2.2mm strokes.

#28 kenfraser

kenfraser

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,216 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 August 2015 - 22:11

IMG-20150604-00370_zpskz7rxrn5.jpg

This is off-topic but quite important, I think. At first sight, in this example by patrickfp , there appears to be a problem with the uprights, as some seem to slope backwards. In fact, if you look at the background grid, you can see that the distortion is a photographic problem and the writing is probably fine.

I've come across this myself, in the past, and have found that the answer is to photograph from a greater distance and then to enlarge the required area.

Ken

#29 Uncial

Uncial

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,725 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 September 2015 - 16:07

Has anyone had the chance to see a medieval manuscript in person?  I would like to see one in person at least once in my life. I don't know if there is a library in Toronto where I can do that.

Anyway, I would like to know the size of the pen usually used for a book such as a book of hours. To me, any stroke thinner than 2 mm does not show the beauty of black letter. I tried the Manuscript 2B nib, but gave up. For now I am quite happy with either Manuscript 4B or Pilot Parallel 2.4mm, which creates 2.2mm strokes.

I've seen many, and some of the calligraphy is shockingly bad.

#30 patrickfp

patrickfp

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 18:36

I've come across this myself, in the past, and have found that the answer is to photograph from a greater distance and then to enlarge the required area.

Ken

Yes, most of the pictures were done with my cellphone.

I've seen many, and some of the calligraphy is shockingly bad.

From what you have seen, what the closest nib size would you say was used?

#31 smk

smk

Antique

• FPN Tech. Admin

• 2,660 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 September 2015 - 17:51

Patrick - a properly prepared quill (or even a modern steel dip pen) with a good ink+paper/parchment combination can produce lovely results at small x-heights.

As an example one of Cataneo's exemplars of Italic was written at an x-height of 2mm! I have also seen amazing work by Julian Waters at small scale written with a Mitchell dip pen.

Salman

#32 patrickfp

patrickfp

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 20:21

Patrick - a properly prepared quill (or even a modern steel dip pen) with a good ink+paper/parchment combination can produce lovely results at small x-heights.

As an example one of Cataneo's exemplars of Italic was written at an x-height of 2mm! I have also seen amazing work by Julian Waters at small scale written with a Mitchell dip pen.

Salman

I guess I have a long way to go to be at that level. Salman, I have question that from first glance does is not related to Italic nor Blackletter. I have always wanted to know what is the reason Arabic calligraphy goes from left to right. If I am not mistaken, Chinese calligraphy was like that too at some point.

#33 smk

smk

Antique

• FPN Tech. Admin

• 2,660 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2015 - 17:39

I am not sure if there is a particular reason for the right-to-left writing direction of Arabic.

The writing system traces its roots to the ancient Proto-Sinaitic writing system which was the first system to use letters (consonants only) for sounds and was written in both l-to-r and r-to-l directions. I guess at some point someone decided to just stick to the r-to-l direction and it caught on :-)

Salman

#34 sidthecat

sidthecat

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,862 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2018 - 17:53

Perhaps Hebrew was subject to the same tradition. Egyptian heiroglyphs read l-to-r, r-to-l and up and down. Maybe there were a lot of left-handed scribes back then.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: learning, calligraphy, blackletter, italic

Sponsored Content

|