Twsbi Ef And A Nice Purple Or Brown Ink To Go With?

planetthoughtful

Hi All,

I currently have a Sailor Professional EF (aka XF?) in which I use Sailor Black Ink. My writing is very small, so I'm very happy with this pen!

Recently I've been doing 'bullet journaling' and I'd like another FP loaded with a contrasting but highly readable ink, so I can add notes etc.

Partly due to the price, I'm seriously considering a TWSBI 700VAC, with an EF nib. From reviews, I'm expecting this to write more broadly than the Sailor EF, but I'm hoping it will still go well enough with my handwriting (currently, to write contrast notes, I'm using a Platinum Preppy 02 FP with blue ink - this actually isn't horrible, but it would be nice to step up to something that doesn't feel quite so disposable).

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a rich purple, or perhaps brown, ink that works well with a TWSBI EF nib and suits EF lines?

Many thanks!

pt

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• planetthoughtful

• Notgatherox

• Davros

• sakayume

Hi,

I recently had a Vac700 F inked with Diamine Imperial Blue which to me is very purplish. Nice writing behaviour but may stain a little after prolonged use (fine after scrubing).

Have you considered a nice green as a better contrast to blue/black? For brown MB Toffee or Diamine Chocolate could be good choices.

I've got a Twsbi Vac 700 EF, which is one of my favorite writers, as well as the Preppy 0.2. The latter lays down a thinner line, the former is definitely smoother.

Rohrer & Klinger Solferino is pretty nice, is shading towards the magenta side of purple. I personally like Kaweco Summer Purple, but I'm pretty strongly introverted, and it's quite subdued.

Diamine Tyrian Purple has a nice colour.

post-111759-0-46241200-1431246559_thumb.jpg

Pelikan 4001 Brown is not half bad either.

post-111759-0-21601600-1431246856_thumb.jpg

~Epic

Edited by Lord Epic
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

A contrast with black in an EF can be a little tricky to land. A couple questions to pare down options:

Do you prefer certain shades of purple of brown? Do you consider magenta to be purple? Violet? Do you like red browns or medium browns or green browns? What kind of paper is in the journal?

Diamine Tyrian Purple has a nice colour.

attachicon.gifIMG_20141216_161839_1418717943268.jpg

Pelikan 4001 Brown is not half bad either.

attachicon.gifIMG_20140927_004753_1411750092949.jpg

~Epic

Personally ,I love Tyrian Purple, but Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Brown leaves much to be desired - especially so in a dry-ish pen like a TWSBI. Iroshizuku Yama-guri and Montblanc Toffee Brown have better colours (yes, I realise how silly this sounds, seeing as colours are subjective) and flow more freely, though they cost many times more than Pelikan's offering.

EDIT: On second thought, Yama-guri would not contrast well at all. Perhaps Tsukushi or Waterman Absolute Brown?

Edited by Yehenara

In addition, may I suggest Diamine Ancient Copper (that slipped my mind earlier)

post-111759-0-10687100-1431283384_thumb.jpg

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
And I want before I die

Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

Can't comment on the TWSBI, but Sailor Jentle Doyou is my favorite brown, a nice dark one, and their Jentle Shigure is an excellent dark purple. I have used both with nibs of different widths.

If you want lighter shades, I'd be less sure what to recommend.

Edited by ISW_Kaputnik

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

Can't comment on the TWSBI either, but for contrast I'd second Ancient Copper and Tyrian Purple. Doyou and Shigure are favourites of mine, but they are very dark, with Doyou generally dark enough to pass as black.

Or what about the Pelikan Edelstein Amethyst?

I was once a bottle of ink, Inky Dinky Thinky Inky, Blacky Minky Bottle of Ink!

A contrast with black in an EF can be a little tricky to land. A couple questions to pare down options:

Do you prefer certain shades of purple of brown? Do you consider magenta to be purple? Violet? Do you like red browns or medium browns or green browns? What kind of paper is in the journal?

I probably lean more towards reddish shades of purple then to blueish shades. I like all of the variations of brown you've listed. I would tend towards more vivid colours, than 'watered' colours, if that makes sense.

How about Mont Blanc Lavender Purple?

And why not a TWSBI 580 instead?

I'm leaning towards a 700VAC because I had a bad experience with a fountain pen on a flight, once, and I hate having to travel without a fountain pen.

Aside from the fiddly filling mechanism (or so I've read), is there any other reason to get a 580 over the 700VAC?

In addition, may I suggest Diamine Ancient Copper (that slipped my mind earlier)

attachicon.gifIMG_20150406_141253.jpg

~Epic

Now that I like, however it's almost too red for me. In my colour context, red means bad (probably no surprises there) and I think I'd have troubles disassociating 'bad' from notes made in this ink.

Still, it is rather striking and beautiful...

Consider De Atramentis Roses on the raspberry side of things, or Diamine Majestic Purple. Both are punchy enough to be distinguished from black.

To get clean distinction with a brown, you may want to go lighter and more saturated. Diamine Terracotta or Sepia would offer some punch, but they're beautiful in their own light. Ochre is a darker alternative that I totally love.

I'm leaning towards a 700VAC because I had a bad experience with a fountain pen on a flight, once, and I hate having to travel without a fountain pen.

Aside from the fiddly filling mechanism (or so I've read), is there any other reason to get a 580 over the 700VAC?

I would pick a 580 over a Vac700 because the Vac700 has o rings in it as a safety feature so ink doesn't leak while in flight.

However, these o rings also cause the pen to dry out after two pages. To solve this issue, you either twist the knob at the pen's end (troublesome for me) or you remove the o rings (which render the design useless anyhow)

Btw, nowadays pens don't leak on the plane as much. You could do yourself a favour by filling the pens fully before you fly (so there's no air for the ink to expand) and put the pens into a ziploc bag so even if they leak, they won't leak into your bag. Here's some evidence for you:

(And one more reason why I'll pick the 580 is because the 580 is TWSBI's flagship pen. But of course, these are simply my reasons, you are free to disagree with me.)

On a side note, here's two charts that may help you choose a brown. Credits to the contributors on FPN.

post-111759-0-99546800-1431523131_thumb.jpg

post-111759-0-05631000-1431523198_thumb.jpg

~Epic

Edited by Lord Epic

A sincere man am I
And I want before I die

Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

I've enjoyed Diamine Syrah in my vac, but that's a little more red than purple. Two inks I find work in most pens and have good depth of colour are Pousièrre de Lune and Lie de Thé, both from Herbin.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg