Like A Sheaffer Lifetime Triumph 1000 ... But Larger ?

ink-syringe

I have a Sheaffer Lifetime Triumph 1000, Vac/plunger-fill in Marine Green Striated, with two-tone 14k conical nib, a self colored section and an unusually clear visulated barrel. In hue/color/variation and in visualation (is that a word?) it bests all four Pelikan 400nn I have owned (both Tortoise and green) . I haven’t measured but I would not be surprised if it sucks in as much ink as the Pelikan. It is a fantastic pen in every way, reliability and robustness, ink capacity, is a great writer, and aesthetically pleasing pen. Mine's been ground to a .9 stub. It is just a fantastic little pen. The plunger knob is a little loose but otherwise it looks like it rolled off the assembly yesterday. Pictures don't do these little pens justice.

There is only one thing I don’t like about the pen is the size. It is small and a little too short for my hands.
If one(=me) wanted this pen but larger, does it exists? Did Sheaffer make an larger version of this pen?

I adore mine. I would use it more if it were not so small.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ink-syringe

• jar

• Albert26

• adyf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Agreed, they are great pens. I have the below pen, it's a Sheaffer Sentinel Deluxe Oversize Lifetime. I have a 1000 also but I do like the extra size of the bigger pen.

post-1915-0-64072300-1431068933_thumb.jpg

That's gorgeous. Need to look for one of those.

Keep a look out at tbickiii's ebay auctions. I got this from him and he recently had the same pen with a pencil as a boxed set. I was tempted........

Remember that the "1000" was just the suggested retail price and so there were many models and many sizes that had the same MSRP.

There were longer and shorter, slimmer and fatter Sheaffer plunger fill pens.

Agreed, they are great pens. I have the below pen, it's a Sheaffer Sentinel Deluxe Oversize Lifetime. I have a 1000 also but I do like the extra size of the bigger pen.

Keep a look out at tbickiii's ebay auctions. I got this from him and he recently had the same pen with a pencil as a boxed set. I was tempted........

I think the length though is about the same as OP's 1000, and I bet OP's pen is a Statesman II from the immediate post-WWII period.

This seller, by the way, tends to use the term "oversize" loosely and uses uppercase for the entire word.

Truth is, Sheaffer didn't make any very long pens after the Balance era until the Snorkel in 1952. The Valiant II and Delux Sentinel I think are a little "girthier" than the Statesman, and the 1945 Valiant II is a very big-looking pen owing to its extra wide cap band.

picture of my pen coming soon ...

quick and dirty ... you can see here next to a couple well-known pens ....

Sheaffer touchdown (Valiant?) Parker 51, Lifetime Triumph 1000, Safari

You can see how short it is ...

post-115445-0-08435600-1431091134_thumb.jpg

There were longer and shorter, slimmer and fatter Sheaffer plunger fill pens.

Of course, that is why I made this post. Indeed, this is precisely the question at hand: Which models were like this one (plunger, celluloid, triumph nib) but longer.

Thanks. I already have a couple things of his on my watch list.

Of course, that is why I made this post. Indeed, this is precisely the question at hand: Which models were like this one (plunger, celluloid, triumph nib) but longer.

I don't know of any but then my knowledge is limited. After that iteration (three years IIRC) the pens got skinnier until the PFM. You can go earlier into the Balance family where there were plunger filled wide bodied longer pens but they will have the open nib.

The Sheaffers of this sort were all relatively stubby; the variations were in cap and point style. Your best bet for something slightly longer and generally the same shape is to get one of the early "fat" TD models, or to train yourself to write in the old tripod manner (index atop, thumb relatively straight) with which the length of the pen is sort of immaterial. The last sounds a little glib, but I mean it seriously; I know I can't use my various '40s Sheaffers in any other grip.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

I have a first year touchdown Statesmen. Open two tone nib with considerable flex. The cap from that pen actually fits the vac filler so they are the same width and the Statesman is only a little longer but that little bit makes a big difference in the way it fits in the hand. A great pen but I am interested in the these plunger pens as I am totally charmed by this pen and the nib and one of the things I don't love about Snorkels and TD is that they don't hold a lot of ink. The plunger filler holds much more ink, which is good as this particular pen is a somewhat chubby stub nib. These earlier triumph nibs also have a somewhat different shape to them and the celluloid on them is amazing in person (hard to tell how nice they are in photos).

Looks like this era is a bit confusing as they also often sold the same models in lever and vac. I actually like lever fillers a lot too. But the vacuum fillers are casting their spell at the moment.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I was wondering if someone who knows about these pens can help me.

I own a Sheaffer Triumph Vac filler, from the 40s, brown striated. I like this pen a lot, it is very smooth and comfortable to use. However, for long writing sessions it has the problem that at some point it will run dry. I don't know what I should do to correct this. I fill the pen normally as it is supposed to, unscrew the knob/pull out/ push back/ screw the knob again.

I would appreciate any feedback

Thanks

Hi,

I was wondering if someone who knows about these pens can help me.

I own a Sheaffer Triumph Vac filler, from the 40s, brown striated. I like this pen a lot, it is very smooth and comfortable to use. However, for long writing sessions it has the problem that at some point it will run dry. I don't know what I should do to correct this. I fill the pen normally as it is supposed to, unscrew the knob/pull out/ push back/ screw the knob again.

I would appreciate any feedback

Thanks

Sounds like it is not filling. Is it a model where you can see the ink level?

Sounds like it is not filling. Is it a model where you can see the ink level?

Hey, thank you.

Indeed, it is one of the original series from the mid 40s, brown striated and in near mint condition, with excellent transparency. It looks like it fills to the maximum capacity too, the filling system works perfectly and holds a lot of ink. When it's just about 1/3 full the line starts to thin until it dries.

The feeds on these pens have an tail, or extension if you will, that is designed to push the plunger rod to one side so that surface tension does not stop the ink from flowing down around the head gasket to the feed. This is sometimes broken off, either by accident, or by someone working on the pen who does not know why it's there. The result often times is that ink gets stuck behind the head gasket and ink can't get to the feed, and the pen quits writing as the supply of ink in the feed runs out, even though there is ink in the barrel. Fiddling with the plunger a bit (not really pulling it back) can often get the ink to flow down to the feed.

I modify the nib unit to create a replacement extension for these pens, and it usually takes care of the problem.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

An ultrasonic clean, a wet diamine ink, and problem solved! What gorgeous pens these are... I would take the sheaffer triumph over the parker 51 anytime