Help Me Choose - Aurora 88 Large Or Optima?

WilsonCQB1911

I have limited funds, and don't get the opportunity to purchase pens as often as I used to. I've been hemming and hawing for moths now about what new pen to buy with some recent fun money I have.

I've narrowed it down to the 88 Large with gold cap (which is what drew me to this brand) or the Optima in Perla that looks amazing. I'm torn between the two. I'm thinking of getting either in fine.

My favorite pens are my 149 in EF and my Namiki Falcon in F. I also own a VP in F and a Lamy 2000 in EF. All are wonderful pens and perfectly reliable, which is my most valued attribute.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WilsonCQB1911

• Frank C

• Calabria

• Keyless Works

I like the 88 much more, aesthetically speaking. But then, I would never get the gold cap, nor the perla material/color, so my tastes may not match yours.

Larger pens are often more pleasurable to use, unless you have small hands, though.

Edited by Feanaaro

I haven't handled a gold cap 88 so I don't know about the weight of that pen but between a resin 88 and a standard Optima they are pretty much the same in hand. Both are extremely comfortable. I would go for the Optima but it's personal preference.

Thanks for the input guys. Since I can't hold them prior to purchase it makes the decision difficult. It's a good point that the gold cap may be heavier, and I don't like heavy pens. I do agree that larger pens are generally more comfortable though.

So now it's between the large resin 88 or the Optima Perla.

Well, the weight of the gold cap would be an issue if you posted, but then the 88 is longer and less in need of being posted anyway.

Though, having said that, I'd like the black silver-trimmed nickargenta version more than anything (except the $$$ black demonstrator, but that's another story).

Well, the weight of the gold cap would be an issue if you posted, but then the 88 is longer and less in need of being posted anyway.

Though, having said that, I'd like the black silver-trimmed nickargenta version more than anything (except the $$$ black demonstrator, but that's another story).

That is a beautiful pen!! So difficult to make a decision.

Aurora are by far my favorite pens. Both the Nikargenta 88 and Nero Perla are fantastic. I will say this: for years I enjoyed very understated pens. The 88 is the best in that regard - an elegance that is so downplayed that the nib really shines.

Now, however, I prefer the visual beauty of the Nero Perla. Pictures don't do this finish justice: it is somewhat translucent in places, reflective in others, and has a striking depth. The Auroloide is also a bit tougher than the resin IMO (if scratching is an issue for you.) And I like the feel of the Auroloide better (Auroloide is similar to Celluloid, but uses a different, less flammable thinner).

So - I would go with the Nero Perla. It's a better value for the money, and just adds a touch of luxury. I also find that my joy in the pen lasts longer ... I just took my burgundy Optima out of the drawer this morning, and it is such a characteristic pen that I associate a particular time in my life with it (I've also traveled quite a bit with it...)

That said, I have switched entirely to EF nibs with Aurora. In my opinion, they are the best European EF nibs out of the box, and if you like Namiki F and Lamy 2000 EF (as I do), you'll also like an Aurora EF!

Enjoy!

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Aurora are by far my favorite pens. Both the Nikargenta 88 and Nero Perla are fantastic. I will say this: for years I enjoyed very understated pens. The 88 is the best in that regard - an elegance that is so downplayed that the nib really shines.

Now, however, I prefer the visual beauty of the Nero Perla. Pictures don't do this finish justice: it is somewhat translucent in places, reflective in others, and has a striking depth. The Auroloide is also a bit tougher than the resin IMO (if scratching is an issue for you.) And I like the feel of the Auroloide better (Auroloide is similar to Celluloid, but uses a different, less flammable thinner).

So - I would go with the Nero Perla. It's a better value for the money, and just adds a touch of luxury. I also find that my joy in the pen lasts longer ... I just took my burgundy Optima out of the drawer this morning, and it is such a characteristic pen that I associate a particular time in my life with it (I've also traveled quite a bit with it...)

That said, I have switched entirely to EF nibs with Aurora. In my opinion, they are the best European EF nibs out of the box, and if you like Namiki F and Lamy 2000 EF (as I do), you'll also like an Aurora EF!

Enjoy!

I've heard that the Aurora nibs run narrower, which is why I was thinking an F would be good. Have you found this?

Thank you so much for your post! It's been very helpful.

I love my (new) 88s. Wonderful writers and not all that large at all, really. But I have to say I've no knowledge of the other pen you refer to so I can't compare.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I've heard that the Aurora nibs run narrower, which is why I was thinking an F would be good. Have you found this?

Thank you so much for your post! It's been very helpful.

Sure, they run narrower than, say, Pelikan, but Pelikans run extremely broad (my last two Pelikan EFs were really M and had to be reground). Actually, in my experience Aurora F and EF are very close - but they are hand-ground (I believe) and vary from one pen to another. I find the F a little more round at the tip, and that the EF has a bit more character ("feedback"). I have an Aurora Optima F Demo which writes like an EF, and an Optima F which is more like a M. All are still wider than, say, Sailor F.

What I'm saying is that it's all relative, and that I've been happiest with my EF nibs. Of course, it's your call – I would buy from a retailer who would let you exchange the nib assembly if you don't like the nib it comes with – they should do that for you at the price.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

I have an Aurora 88 with an EF nib. It is a beautiful pen and a great writer. Please note that an Aurora EF nib is not going to be as fine as your Japanese extra fine-nibs. If you like extra-fine, you will have to go Japanese or have your Aurora nib modified.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Sure, they run narrower than, say, Pelikan, but Pelikans run extremely broad (my last two Pelikan EFs were really M and had to be reground). Actually, in my experience Aurora F and EF are very close - but they are hand-ground (I believe) and vary from one pen to another. I find the F a little more round at the tip, and that the EF has a bit more character ("feedback"). I have an Aurora Optima F Demo which writes like an EF, and an Optima F which is more like a M. All are still wider than, say, Sailor F.

What I'm saying is that it's all relative, and that I've been happiest with my EF nibs. Of course, it's your call – I would buy from a retailer who would let you exchange the nib assembly if you don't like the nib it comes with – they should do that for you at the price.

Thank you again. Excellent information. You've helped me make my decision - Optima Perla in EF. An 88 large chrome will be my next purchase.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you again. Excellent information. You've helped me make my decision - Optima Perla in EF. An 88 large chrome will be my next purchase.

👍

Yes - you'll need both. Let us hear how it goes!

Edited by Calabria

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Yes - you'll need both. Let us hear how it goes!

Terribly. I'm having no luck getting an EF. I ordered one from several retailers now. Some appear to have them in stock, and then quote me estimates of three or more weeks I thought I finally found one on Amazon, and was sent a medium, so I'm in the process of returning it. It's been frustrating to the point of me not wanting to own an Aurora anymore.

Sorry to hear that. I don't see much other than mediums and fines on the secondary market (I am always looking to scoop up more if they go for cheap). It must not be a common nib for Aurora. On the plus side they do make a very wide range of nibs so there is definitely something for everyone (...unless you don't like nails, then you are SOL).

If you have not already tried you could check these places:

nibs.com (they sell Aurora nib units)

Fountain Pen Hospital

Colorado Pen

Fahrneys Pens

Lastly there is eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AURORA-Optima-Green-996-V-EF-Optima-Gold-clip-fountain-pen-green-14-gold-/331503944330?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d2f2cc28a

I bought most of my modern Auroras new off of eBay and when I broken one of my Optimas last year they repaired it for free. (Kenro insists that the minimum repair is $90 for an Optima but as far as I can tell no one has actually be charged by Aurora)

Terribly. I'm having no luck getting an EF. I ordered one from several retailers now. Some appear to have them in stock, and then quote me estimates of three or more weeks I thought I finally found one on Amazon, and was sent a medium, so I'm in the process of returning it. It's been frustrating to the point of me not wanting to own an Aurora anymore.

I would try Fountain Pen Hospital first (they have a great return policy; ask for Joe - and tell him

to look for an EF nib in their line-up of 88s, Talentums, Optimas - these pens all use the same nib assemblies and can easily be swapped out).

I also have had good experiences with nibs.com and giardino.it!

Keep us posted! Don't give up on Aurora - these are by far my favorite pens!

- Derek

– Lin Yu-T'ang

I recommend nibs.com. They charge a little more, but your pen will arrive tuned and ready to write.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

I love my large 88 with gold cap. Another advantage of Aurora is the interchangeable nibs. +1 to nibs.com--they also sell the nibs separately.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Forgot to mention that mine have EF nibs on and both are different, which is rather nice. Wonderful writers too.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Well, I've looked long and hard and I seriously believe that there are no EF Auroras available for sale in the U.S. It shouldn't be this hard. I'm giving up my search for now.