Delta Dolce Vita Medium Quick Review

shomroy

Much has been written about the Delta Dolce Vita Oversize. The look quite similar, but may appeal to different sets of people. Here, I attempt to give a quick review of the DV medium and highlight some of the differences. The first difference is of course the price point, with the oversize about GBP 100 more than the medium. I went for the medium because the oversize is too broad for my hand (like I said, they may appeal to a different set of people). The medium is the perfect size for me, presented in a very nice and substantial felt-covered box. The box contains some literature on Delta and the nib, a small box of delta cartridges, and the pen itself.

post-115414-0-91024000-1431010808_thumb.jpgpost-115414-0-18610200-1431010811_thumb.jpgpost-115414-0-45517700-1431010813_thumb.jpgpost-115414-0-71722000-1431010815_thumb.jpg

The pen is a beauty-if you think orange is not your thing, take a look at this one. It is distinctive without being too flashy. I went for the vermeil trim, and I am not complaining. The detailing of the Pompeii relief on the central band is quite meticulous. Also, the small rolling wheel at the end of the clip is a nice touch.

post-115414-0-94162800-1431010817_thumb.jpgpost-115414-0-15648000-1431010820_thumb.jpg

Unlike the oversize model, this pen doesn't have a ink-window. Personally, I am not a big fan of ink windows (with the exception of the one in Lamy 2000)-so this is not a deal breaker for me. The filling system is a normal C/C-and not the piston fill or eyedropper as in the Oversize. I found the filling system quite efficient. However, the girth of DV, even on the medium is quite wide-it didn't get into my bottle of J Herbin 1670 Anniversary Edition inks. This was a bit annoying. So I can only guess that the Oversize might not fit into some more ink vials. Finally, I managed to fill it with Herbin's Orange Indien-I know, I know, that's one orange too many!

post-115414-0-48215100-1431010824_thumb.jpg

This pen needs to break into your hand. The first few strokes mayn't be smooth enough, I ended up with an ink blob on my paper. But after that boy, does it write well! The 14k-585 nib is buttery smooth, with some flex in it. I went for the Fine grind, and it produces consistent lines every time without ever being scratchy.

post-115414-0-60199500-1431010826_thumb.jpg

I got this baby for a steal from martemodena (no affiliations) and hence it is wonderful value for money. If you want a distinctive pen, that writes like a dream, reminds of a summer well spent in Italy, and doesn't burn a hole in your pocket-the Dolce Vita medium might just be it.

Thanks for reading.

post-115414-0-35175400-1431010822_thumb.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shomroy

• Frank C

• carlos.q

• Cordovian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice review! How does the nib width compare with the Pelikan?

I have a Fine for both the pens, so it is easier to compare. There is no discernible difference in smoothness and flex-both are very smooth and offers little flex. However, the Pelikam M400 lays down a much wetter line than the DV Medium. I suppose with a broad nib you may be able to get more ink on paper.

• 4 weeks later...

Very nice review. I had the same start-up issue with my Capri when I got it. Thank you for sharing!

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Thanks for the review and beautiful photos. Everybody seems to like the Delta Dolce Vitas. I have never owned a Delta, but maybe some day . . . .

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the review and beautiful photos. Everybody seems to like the Delta Dolce Vitas. I have never owned a Delta, but maybe some day . . . .

You won't regret it. They are very well made, with a cap-ring that is the most exquisite I have seen on a normal production pen.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently bought a Mid-Sized DV Oro from Martemodena. Vermeil trim, Great size, looks fabulous. It has an EF Fusion Nib. It writes wonderfully. Inked with J. Herbin De Lune. I have a few Deltas with Fusion & Gold nibs various sizes, no stubs. All write smooth with just the right amount of feedback. Some of the gold nibs are a little soft. All are extremely well made, have solid weight. Delta makes great pens for every day. A DV Zen with a 14k B nibs is one of my daily writers for the past few months. Each time I use it I feel good.

You won't regret it. They are very well made, with a cap-ring that is the most exquisite I have seen on a normal production pen.

I recently bought a Mid-Sized DV Oro from Martemodena. Vermeil trim, Great size, looks fabulous. It has an EF Fusion Nib. It writes wonderfully. Inked with J. Herbin De Lune. I have a few Deltas with Fusion & Gold nibs various sizes, no stubs. All write smooth with just the right amount of feedback. Some of the gold nibs are a little soft. All are extremely well made, have solid weight. Delta makes great pens for every day. A DV Zen with a 14k B nibs is one of my daily writers for the past few months. Each time I use it I feel good.

Everyone who has Deltas likes them, and then buys a few more. That speaks very well for a pen company. I will take another look at them at the San Francisco Pen Show, thanks.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Everyone who has Deltas likes them, and then buys a few more.

:rolleyes:

First ... Delta Vintage Amber

Second ... Delta Dolcevita Stantuffo Oro

Third ... Delta Dolcevita Tech&Web Stantuffo EOL

tbc ... to be continued..

I have to agree with Frank. Delta pens are sometimes unusual but very nice and excellent craftsmanship and quality.

Edited by ingolf

https://schreibkultur.requirements.de ... my blog - currently in German only

The DV Medium is now in my daily rotation, and I am enjoying the attention it generates every time I take it out.

How does the fusion nib compare with that of the 14K-Au nibs?

• 4 weeks later...

I sold my Delta Capri Marina Grande and Dolcevita. Probably for the same reason why I drive VW and not Alfa Romeo.

QC is just not good enough for the price point.

Inked: Sailor King Pro Gear, Sailor Nagasawa Proske, Sailor 1911 Standard, Parker Sonnet Chiselled Carbon, Parker 51, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Preppy