MB Service for repairs

RJLOMMD

I recently "found" this site because of a problem I've been having with my 149 (1990?) and because my son's 6 month old Border Collie got ahold of my 146 Ballpoint and cracked the top half (see attached photo).

I went to the MB website and contacted MB Service and was told that they could repair/replace the top part for about $60.00. Not too bad I thought. Then I came upon this website to see what others had experienced with MB repair.

I read that most of the opinions seem to be very positive and that MB service was very helpful and "user-friendly;" cost was something else again but they are the only game in town, or are they? I wonder if there has been a major change since the days when MB was serviced by Kohinoor-Rapidograph in Bloomsbury, NJ?

My second concern is with my 149. There is a collection of ink around the nib and for about 1/2" up the barrel --but never to the threads for the cap. And if I use a tissue to clean out the cap, there is ink there as well.

I have used Aurora Black ink for several years having found that the Mont Blanc ink too grey-ish. Before that I used Pelikan 4001 Black. I still the fill the pen per the instructions, i.e., nib down in the bottle, turn the piston to the end, expel about 6 drops, turn the nib upwards and screw down the piston.

If I send the Diplomat to them for the ink "sweating" situation, I would also like to exchange the nib because I see that MB is once again offering the oblique medium nib. I had such a nib on a MB Classic (145) I owned some 25 years ago.

I would appreciate any advice, assistance or information you would care to share. Please forgive this long post but I wanted to provide as much information as I could. Thank you.

post-69-1175739310_thumb.jpg

Edited by RJLOMMD

R.J.L.

Owings Mills, MD

http://www.pbase.com/rjlommd/image/76856261/medium.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RJLOMMD

• rroossinck

• eeyorespen

• sclt45

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you, sclt45. I suppose the best thing for me to do is to call them and ask them directly. I was hoping to have the chance to see what several others had to say and I thank you for sharing.

R.J.L.

Owings Mills, MD

RJL,

As someone who just received a package from MB Service about 15 minutes ago, just be very clear in your instructions to the service department. I see your name engraved on the cap (nice signature, by the way); it sounds quite stupid to write this to you, but be absolutely clear in stating your intent to get the same cap that you sent.

I thought I was quite clear (obnoxiously so, in my letter) when I sent in a dear friend's 149 with an engraved barrel, which was absolutely irreplaceable. They "repaired" the pen and it looks great. However, their version of "repair" and mine are two different stories.

The pen that came in the mail a bit ago has a brand new barrel. No engraving. Doesn't have the same nib ('twas a broad I sent in...apparently it went on a substantial diet...and came back a fine/medium).

They're closed in observance of Good Friday.

I'm praying that they still have that barrel from the old one. If not, they're in big trouble, because I don't know what the font or the placement was of the engraving.

So...be forewarned. Obnoxious clarity in your instructions is a highly recommended tactic.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1118/726404937_328386ddc6_o.jpg

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

I used the MB service for a rollerball pen that also had a cracked cap. It cracked from falling on the floor. The service was very good. I think that the cost for a new cap was also $60 a few years ago.

Tom

Thank you for your replies. I am very pleased, on the one hand, to learn that the cost of repairing my ballpoint might well be under $100.00. As I write this I almost can't believe I'm saying that. I paid $79.00 for the pen back in 1987. When we looked at the prices for replacement last week, the pen is up around $220.

On the other hand, I am sorry to learn about the repair facility's insensitivity about maintaining the original parts of the 149 as described in the post above. Since the cap is not at all involved in the "sweating" problem I mentioned, I will inquire if I can send just the barrel and keep the cap safe at home! This is something I would never have thought of and I'm very glad you've told me about it.

The engraving on the barrel was done in 1996 by MontBlanc when they were still in Bloomsbury, NJ. It was done at the same time as I exchanged the original medium nib for a broad one. It turned out rather well. Although, it may have been after that exchange that the "sweating" began, now that I think about it. Anyway, I must admit that a tube of gold leaf sits in my workroom and every year or so I apply some to keep the signature engraving looking good.

Thank you for the compliment about my signature but I think some of my students would disagree because they only see it on disciplinary letters to their parents.

I'm really glad I found this website where I can communicate with others who have the same respect and appreciation of a fine writing instrument. I was fortunate, indeed, to have been introduced to the fountain pen by my grandfather while I was still in high school. And I am proud to say that every lecture notebook and exam I wrote in college was done with a MontBlanc --starting with the 221 I received from my grandfather as a high school graduation present (that 221 has long since disappeared, but the #251 pencil that came with it still sits in my pocket alongside a rollerball, a 164 ballpoint (and will again once the ballpoint is repaired) and the 149 Diplomat. The "odd-pen out" is an old piston fill Pelican that has red ink.

R.J.L.

Owings Mills, MD

Hi RJOLMMD

Mont Blanc France service in my case was first class. Had my 149 perfectly repaired and it writes like a dream. The way MB France treats its customers encourged me to think of my next purchases: another 149 and another 146.

regards

georges

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

By the way, MB service is pretty much the only game in town; they don't sell parts outside the company to repair their modern pens (and I think vintage parts are all out of production).

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

Hi

I guess I am kind of coming to this from a diffrent perspective, as I work for Montblanc ( in a boutiques, not the service center). I will confirm that yes, the ballpoint can be done for $55. and happily, it can be done on the spot in most boutiques if you are close to one. As to why the fountain "sweats" Have you cleaned the cap out well inside? If the inside of the cap has dampness or ink in it it can actually "pull" ink out of the nib. Modern caps are vented now, usually under the clip.

Anyway, good luck to you. I am new here but I am sure glad to find other pen lovers too! Plus I am more than happy to help with infor on Montblanc whenever I can. I started collecting long before I began working for Montblanc.

eeyorespen