Conid Bulk Filler

Lana

Hi :)

I read some of you do have Conid Pens and are very satisfied.

So I'm thinking about buying one for quite a long time. I am totally into Demonstrators and the Conids seem to be wonderful. I am a bit confused about the different models and what the difference between each of them is. So I'm undecided which one fits best to me.

In general, I do like small pens, but the part you hold between your fingers should not be too small. The Slimline and Regular could fit, but I'm not sure which of them..

Wich one do you have and which do like most? Can you recommend me something?

Thank you in advance!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lana

• alc3261

• Frank C

• mongrelnomad

1 post?

If you are new into fountain pens,and want a titanium nib demonstrator.

You can buy a 50 euro TWSBI Diamond 580 and a 60 euro titanium nib from Bock AG.

If you're sure that you want a Conid.

The Giraffe is more of a collection pen rather than a daily carry or writing fountain pen.

The Kingsize,as you can guess in the name, is a KingSize.

The slimline mesures 12 cm uncapped.

The Regular is 13 cm.

The minimastica plus is between the 2, 12.6 cms.

Depending on the position you hold the pen, you might hold the threads.

But if you use it the right way,and your hand is not "extremely" large.

I think there won't be any problem

the minimastica plus does not have threads.

I am new to this network, but not new to fountain pens.

I already have a Diamond 580 (and a mini and a vac 700) and i can't say I don't like it but for me it isn't perfect. It has some problems like it writes not wet enough for me..

About the Conid I am pretty sure that I want one, but not exactly which one.

I just thought I'd ask you if you can recommend me one and what you experienced with that pens, before I decide.

Thank you for your answers! :)

Maybe it isn't a bad idea to try a Titanium Nib in a TWSBI first. Can you tell me which fits? I think there are size 5 nibs in TWSBI 580? But in the shop they do not use these sizes. For example there is this: "Bockfeder Titan: TI-076 Bock "Triple" M blank".How do I know if this one fits in?

Size 5 Bock, Schmitt or JoWo nibs should fit.

I do not have a #5 Titanium nib.

All of mine are #6 which fits a Conid Bulkfiller Regular or Minimalistica.

The Slimline takes a #5 and that is a Bock on mine.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

My Pen Wraps are for sale in my Etsy shop

Thank you :)

I ordered one now. The Conid pen has to wait, because somehow its a bit difficult to reach werner, he doesn't answer his emails..

Hi - I have the standard sized pens in streamline and flat-top, and the kingsize. If you like 'full-size' pens (M800, TWSBIs, 146 etc.), go for the standard size. The section (where you grip) is concave and very comfortable.

If you are unsure of the nib, you can order multiple units - they just screw in easily (or you can simply pull out the nib itself and mount another of your choice). I presently have a Bock Ti EF on my streamline, and a 1920s Sheaffer Lifetime Lady nib on my flat-top demo. My kingsizes are to be fitted with two 14k MB 149 nibs I had earmarked for other, aborted, projects.

As for Conid - I gather that they machine each pen to order. I have found that there is a delay (usually of a few weeks) between ordering and receiving your pen, and as this is only Werner's 'hobby' (he holds down another, full-time management job), it may take a few days for him to reply to emails. That said, the customer service (and the product itself) is first rate and well worth any wait.

Edited by mongrelnomad

Too many pens; too little writing.

Ok, thank you mongrelnomad! :)

I received the titanium nib for the TWSBI 580, but I had to note, that the nib is too long. I ordered it with ink feed and shuck. (I don't know if this is the right word for that thing around the feeder).

I think they do only sell one length, just different nib sizes ( 5 and 6). But the nib size fits in ( i mean the range of the thing around the feeder). It is only too long. Has somebody an idea, what the matter is? Or if there is a way to fix this problem?

Thank you in advance!

Ok, thank you mongrelnomad! :)

I received the titanium nib for the TWSBI 580, but I had to note, that the nib is too long. I ordered it with ink feed and shuck. (I don't know if this is the right word for that thing around the feeder).

I think they do only sell one length, just different nib sizes ( 5 and 6). But the nib size fits in ( i mean the range of the thing around the feeder). It is only too long. Has somebody an idea, what the matter is? Or if there is a way to fix this problem?

Thank you in advance!

Lana,

I think you ordered the whole "triple system." The triple is for the nib, the feed and the housing (i think it is called). You can probably pull the nib out of the whole housing system and the metal nib alone should fit into the TWSBI housing unit. Do not use pliers though else you may damage the nibs.

I hope this helps...

Best,

~H

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Lana,

I use the streamline version as a daily writer. After two years of intensive use I can highly recommend this pen!

Just my two cents: my review on this forum

There are more things in heaven and earth, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

+1 on all the other comments, plus I would consider just simply getting your first Conid fitted with the Ti nib from them, tuned to your preference. These pens are among my very favorite pens and here they are, top two are medium Ti and bottom is a Ti ground as a stub. Enjoy!

fpn_1433013378__conid_3_small.jpg

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

I guess that you already took the plunge. My Conid arrived a couple of weeks ago. I purchased a regular demonstrator flattop with a fine Ti nib. I do like the pen very much, but it is big. I have since ordered a streamline with an EF Ti nib. They are beautiful pens and well-made. I hope you enjoy yours.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Has anyone ever actually seen/held/written with the Giraffe? I'm fascinated. I really like long pens, but not the really fat ones. I like desk pens, I like the Lamy Joy and dip pens with the long holders.

What I'm really curious about is the balance once you fill it with the massive amount of ink it holds. I can't seem to find a review of it on FPN, but maybe I'm overlooking the obvious.

Thanks

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Has anyone ever actually seen/held/written with the Giraffe?

Only seen it and held it. It's not a fat pen at all. Or that seems to be because of the length...

What I'm really curious about is the balance once you fill it with the massive amount of ink it holds.

Although I have not written with the Giraffe but just held it the balance does not feel disturbed. Certainly not if you take the length in account.

The regular streamline prototype was designed with a titanium top but before the first production run it was altered to a ebonite top to improve balance. So the guys at Conid are really trying to take care of the balance.

All assumptions of course. So, together with you AAAndrew, waiting for a review B)

There are more things in heaven and earth, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Had to do it just ordered one with a Ti nib. Steve's pics made me do it. Hmmm now will just one be enough......

Mike

Had to do it just ordered one with a Ti nib. Steve's pics made me do it. Hmmm now will just one be enough......

Mike

As Steve's pictures also demonstrate, the answer is, "No". I only had my regular with titanium nib and titanium trim one day when I decided to order a slimline. When that one arrives, a Kingsize will be next. I can decide between the giraffe or the minimalistic for number four.

Don't say that you weren't warned!

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

I own two Conids as well. A Kingsize flat top demonstrator, and the new Minimalistica.

Even considering the price difference, the Minimalistica is a piece of garbage. The cap is loose, it doesn't post properly, and it is generally about the quality of a Lamy Safari which costs 1/10th the price.

Thank GOD it was my second Conid, because were it my first, I would have a terrible opinion of the company and their products.

To me, it was like when Cartier started to make sterling silver jewelry plated in gold, called Must de Cartier. It was (bleep), and it lowered everyone's opinion of Cartier.

My Kingsize is a spectacular pen, my favorite of the almost 100 I own. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about that pen, nor it's makers. But when your regular pen costs $750 and you try to make one for $250, it's going to be a poor pen. Period.