Eboya Pens?

Namo

Just ordered an Eboya pen as a gift to myself for my upcoming graduation. It was a pleasure corresponding with the CEO of Eboya, Tomohisa Endo.

It's going to be a Japanese eyedropper (Houju model, large size) with a medium fine nib in the Nichibo (Sunset: Orange/Black) ebonite.

I was deciding between the medium (section diameter 11.9 mm) and large size (13.4 mm) and ultimately chose the large size because I think it'll be more comfortable. It will take five to six months to be delivered.

Below are some photo samples of how the pen will look, from their website:

25116971324_ea4f17fd1d.jpg

25120794063_cee5a24e54.jpg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tinjapan

• rpsyed

• shuuemura

• Namo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I do wish I could afford a pen from them. Apart from them being beautiful (especially the Ricchiku and Kyoka) I really like Ebonite and the filling system is really nifty.

I do however think it is a pity they use Bock nibs. I prefer nibs from any of the big three Japanese makers (especially Platinum and Pilot) and at least Pilot and Sailor appear willing to supply small pen makers (I think Platinum only supplies Nakaya which is very closely connected to them) and it bothers me that pens that are so Japanese in their design and material use a non-Japanese nib. . Also, the finest option appears to be Bock F which I consider way too broad.

Слава Україні!

Slava Ukraini!

STR:11 DEX: 5 CON:5 INT:17 WIS:11 CHA:3

Wielding: BIC stick of poor judgment (-3,-5) {cursed}

Just ordered an Eboya pen as a gift to myself for my upcoming graduation. It was a pleasure corresponding with the CEO of Eboya, Tomohisa Endo.

It's going to be a Japanese eyedropper (Houju model, large size) with a medium fine nib in the Nichibo (Sunset: Orange/Black) ebonite.

I was deciding between the medium (section diameter 11.9 mm) and large size (13.4 mm) and ultimately chose the large size because I think it'll be more comfortable. It will take five to six months to be delivered.

Congrats! I'm sure you'll enjoy it. My Kyouka has been inked since the day I received it and it's been a perfect performer. I'm actually finishing my undergrad degree soon and going to be starting grad school in the fall. I have been looking for a pen to mark the occasion. Still not decided on what it will be, but an Eboya Hakobune is in the running.

Edited by rpsyed

the pen and material looks lovely, congrats! I need to see the clip from more angles to make up my mind about it, it somehow looks out of place (to me only, YMMV)with the other things that gel together so well.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Also, the finest option appears to be Bock F which I consider way too broad.

I ordered a small Houga from Eboya last year, and before they sent it out I was asked what my nib preference was--similar to what Nakaya do, perhaps. I said I'd prefer a nib width comparable to a Pilot fine, and I believe they ground the Bock nib accordingly. The pen writes fantastically--a true Japanese fine with a feel most comparable to the stiffer Platinum nibs.

That being said, I'm not sure that this is standard procedure for them or if it was because I'd asked for a particular width. I've been meaning to post a review, but haven't managed to get around to it yet...

I ordered a small Houga from Eboya last year, and before they sent it out I was asked what my nib preference was--similar to what Nakaya do, perhaps. I said I'd prefer a nib width comparable to a Pilot fine, and I believe they ground the Bock nib accordingly. The pen writes fantastically--a true Japanese fine with a feel most comparable to the stiffer Platinum nibs.

That being said, I'm not sure that this is standard procedure for them or if it was because I'd asked for a particular width. I've been meaning to post a review, but haven't managed to get around to it yet...

That is interesting to hear - that happened at no extra cost?

Please do post a review and some pictures :) :thumbup:

Edited by da vinci

That is interesting to hear - that happened at no extra cost?

Please do post a review and some pictures :) :thumbup:

Nope, I wasn't charged extra. Looking at the comparison image on the Nibs.com page, I wonder if they do adjust all the nibs to some extent to get a more accurate fine for their Japanese clients.

Will work on getting some photos up soon!

• 3 months later...

My Houju arrived exactly four months from the initial inquiry, about one month ahead of schedule. Initial impressions? This is a very precisely-made writing instrument. Workmanship is impeccable and the nib has been tuned to have a large sweet spot and great flow for the MF size (Japanese standard). Lovely!

Unboxing pictures follow:

27965016986_dae673ea52_b.jpg

27965015886_41b8972740_b.jpg

27897509972_35d6282d03_b.jpg

27999869095_122098eefc_b.jpg

Congratulations on the pen and on graduation! I love that ebonite. I have not seen it before.

Happy writing!

David

• 3 years later...

Hi,

Know the section diameter of that pen?

Thanks

Yo Bluto...Read post number 61....Information is in that post............RIF 1966 {winkthingie}

I'm currently usin' Eboya large Kyouka Red Tanshin with ink shut-off valve..........

Fred

Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for the court?

Flower Belle Lee: No, I'm doing my best to hide it.

And now for something completely different...............

Get a shot off fast...this upsets him long enough to let you make your second shot perfect..................

Oops, thanks, missed that. Great, like large sections. One on order from Mottishaw in the flat top version.

Too many pens, not enough fingers