San Francisco Pen Show - 2015 Update

FarmBoy

More has been visually revealed but I still don't know what the pens are. Please excuse my ignorance. Anyone help out a brother with some info?

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JonSzanto

• ac12

• dms525

• FarmBoy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is pretty cool! Hmmmm .... Obviously some thought has been given to how inks in pens will be identified.

How is the issue of inks behaving and appearing differently with different nibs (Not to mention different papers) being addressed? (My cynical guess is that it hasn't been.)

David

Andrew,

You can see in the pix on FPgeeks that the pen is a piston pen. And simply by quantity of pens needed, it is not an expensive pen.

David,

There is only one pen for each ink, so unfortunately you are stuck with the nib on that pen.

As for paper, we cannot have all the papers that are available, it was tough enough getting the inks. But there will be an assortment of papers to use. You can bring your own paper, to see how the inks look on your paper, vs the papers that will be provided. Actually, bringing your own paper is probably a good idea, then you have a known baseline to reference from, vs. the variable of a new paper with unknown characteristics.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

David,

There is only one pen for each ink, so unfortunately you are stuck with the nib on that pen.

As for paper, we cannot have all the papers that are available, it was tough enough getting the inks. But there will be an assortment of papers to use. You can bring your own paper, to see how the inks look on your paper, vs the papers that will be provided. Actually, bringing your own paper is probably a good idea, then you have a known baseline to reference from, vs. the variable of a new paper with unknown characteristics.

No surprise on the pen/nib issue. Bringing my own paper is a given, but using it to have a take-away record of the inks tested is a great idea.

David

Edited by dms525

And when they're all filled with ink, that will be awe-inspiring. Still no clue as to the brand of pen? Whether those little bullets are available to anyone? Just curious.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

-Montaigne

And when they're all filled with ink, that will be awe-inspiring. Still no clue as to the brand of pen? Whether those little bullets are available to anyone? Just curious.

Let this be the end to your curiosity. No more questions. You now MUST attend the show for further, "real life" adventures.

The pen that will be used for the ink testing station is the Dollar 717i pen. This is a student pen, made in Pakistan. It is a low-cost piston filler, and being a 'demonstrator' pen, will allow for a good viewing of the inks loaded in the pens. You may read about it on their site right here. Below is a quick photo of one of the pens received.

http://i.imgur.com/e2TBXwj.jpg
Edited by JonSzanto

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Woooohoooo! Man I wish I could. Don't think I can drive there an back in a weekend. I'm telling my friend there in Walnut Creek to go. I'm trying to infect him with the bug and there's nothing better than a pen show to ignore the slippery slope and just throw you off the cliff.

Good luck, and that is the greatest idea and execution I've seen for a pen show. Fantastic!

-Montaigne

I should add here that I took one of these pens with me on a week-long business trip to China... I am loathe to admit that they are very good pens...

Let this be the end to your curiosity. No more questions. You now MUST attend the show for further, "real life" adventures.

The pen that will be used for the ink testing station is the Dollar 717i pen. This is a student pen, made in Pakistan. It is a low-cost piston filler, and being a 'demonstrator' pen, will allow for a good viewing of the inks loaded in the pens. You may read about it on their site right here. Below is a quick photo of one of the pens received.

http://i.imgur.com/e2TBXwj.jpg

MB JFK BB; 100th Anniversary M; Dumas M FP/BP/MP set; Fitzgerald M FP/BP/MP set; Jules Verne BB; Bernstein F; Shaw B; Schiller M; yellow gold/pearl Bohème Pirouette Lilas (custom MB-fitted EF); gold 744-N flexy OBB; 136 flexy OB; 236 flexy OBB; silver pinstripe Le Grand B; 149 F x2; 149 M; 147 F; 146 OB; 146 M; 146 F; 145P M; 162 RB

As you can imagine, the permutations of the ink/pen/paper triad would get out of hand quickly... but we always have to outdo ourselves year over year, so stay tuned!

That is pretty cool! Hmmmm .... Obviously some thought has been given to how inks in pens will be identified.

How is the issue of inks behaving and appearing differently with different nibs (Not to mention different papers) being addressed? (My cynical guess is that it hasn't been.)

David

MB JFK BB; 100th Anniversary M; Dumas M FP/BP/MP set; Fitzgerald M FP/BP/MP set; Jules Verne BB; Bernstein F; Shaw B; Schiller M; yellow gold/pearl Bohème Pirouette Lilas (custom MB-fitted EF); gold 744-N flexy OBB; 136 flexy OB; 236 flexy OBB; silver pinstripe Le Grand B; 149 F x2; 149 M; 147 F; 146 OB; 146 M; 146 F; 145P M; 162 RB

I wonder if any of the vendors will bring the new TWSBI ECO ?

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I should add here that I took one of these pens with me on a week-long business trip to China... I am loathe to admit that they are very good pens...

Recently, I inked a Hero 329 that I've had for about six years. It works great. It ain't a beauty by any stretch, and I don't like the squeeze-filling mechanism, but the pen itself works as a pen should.

Nowhere near displacing my favorite fountain pens, though. I mean, there are pens, and then there are PENS, and I prefer to write with PENS.

But I also have two Platinum Preppies inked with difficult inks -- and no problems. They're great, in fact. No worries.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

We are a little more than a month out from the 2015 San Francisco International Pen Show. We wanted to give everyone a big update.

19849374229_142c6f0d78_n.jpg

Hotel

The deadline to reserve hotel rooms at the show rate is August 5th. The show rate is $133/night. To reserve a room, call the Sofitel San Francisco Bay Hotel directly at (650) 598-9000.

Michael Sull Handwriting Class

Michael Sull’s Spencerian class is sold out with a waiting list. We have a few slots left for the American Cursive but act fast if you want to take this class.

New!!!

Deborah Basel Handwriting Classes

Deborah Basel will be offering shorter two hour classes on Handwriting. She will be offering a shorter version of the American Cursive class on Saturday. On Sunday, Deborah will offer a class on italic handwriting. The classes are $40. To register, send an RSVP to sfpenshow@gmail.com with the subject Deborah Basel class. Payment should be made at the show. Course summaries for the two classes can be found below. The Cursive class is scheduled for Saturday 1:30p-3:30p. The Italic class is scheduled for Sunday 11:00a-1:00p. The times are still tentative. We will update the schedule on the website as soon as possible.

Basel Cursive Writing Class Description

Did you miss out on cursive writing in elementary school? Do you find that your cursive writing is mixed with block printing? Do you want others to be able to read what you write and to take pride in your script? This class is for all levels and ages.

The amazing penmen (and women) from the Golden Age of Handwriting didn’t have any special penmanship muscles. They used their writing skills to write legibly for hours every day without getting tired, by learning a few simple techniques. We will begin with pencils and warm-up exercises and progress to using pens for upper and lower case alphabet letters. Handouts are excerpted with permission from Michael Sull’s American Cursive Handwriting book. The ability to write legibly and beautifully lies within all of us. All materials are provided. All you need to bring is your willingness to practice.

Basel Italic Writing Class Description

The workshop will be an overview of the Italic hand. Students will work with Shaeffer student fountain pens. The goal is to have a lot of fun, learn basic strokes and some letters, and see how the letters are related to each other, thereby making learning the whole alphabet a less daunting task. You will have enough information to take your studies to the next level – through self study or via opportunities through a local guild. You CAN do this! And Deborah will show you how.

Deborah Basel is a certified American Cursive Handwriting instructor. She is a Contributing Editor for Pen World magazine and a past President of the Washington DC Calligraphers Guild. She has taught classes at Bertram’s Inkwell, Roland Park Country School’s Kaleidoscope program in Baltimore, Maryland, and at Pen shows all over the United States.

Ink Testing

The ink testing stations are ready for the show. For the show, the SF Bay Area Pen Posse will have 500 inks available for testing as well as a variety of different papers. This has been made possible by the efforts of SF Bay Area Pen Posse who donated the ink testing stations and much of the inks and papers. We also want to thank pen friends and dealers from around the world for contributing to this effort. We are currently deciding which 500 inks we will have for testing. Believe it or not, we have to down select to a group of 500. We will post a list of available inks once we have down selected.

19754997652_5ffd17e726_c.jpg

New Dealers

We are pleased to announce a number of dealers new for this years show. Vaness Pens will be at the show with a large selection of unique inks. Many of their inks will be available for testing and sale at the show. Stylo Art Pens from Japan will also be in attendance. For those not in the know, Stylo Art are makers of small batch custom pens from Japan. Mr. Kuzuno Motoshi is a master of turning pens from rare Japanese woods. These pens can be fitted with a range Japanese nibs from the big three in Japan (Pilot, Sailor, and Platinum) including many of the specialty nibs not available in the US. Staedtler-Mars will be in attendance. Staedtler are well known for their technical pens and pencils, but have recently launched a line of fine writing instruments. They will be at the show showing off their range of fine pens. Kenro Pens, distributor for fine Italians pens such as Aurora, Montegrappa, and Omas and many others, we will at the show showing off their newest pens. Check out the show website for the current list of exhibitors.

Seminars

In addition to the handwriting classes, the show will offer a wide range of seminars on both Saturday and Sunday. The current lineup is posted below and are still tentative. We are working on adding a few more so the schedule is still subject to change.

Saturday

Susan Wirth “WHY SOME FOUNTAIN PENS CAN MAKE ANYONE’S WRITING LOOK GOOD!” 10:30-12:00 pm
Susan Thom “JOURNALING - WRITING AS A PRACTICE”WHY SOME 12:00- 1:30 pm
Pens 101 1:30pm-3:00 pm
Micahel Sull 3:30pm-4:30 pm

Sunday

Susan Wirth “WHY SOME FOUNTAIN PENS CAN MAKE ANYONE’S WRITING LOOK GOOD!” 10:30-12:00 pm
Susan Thom Letter Writing 1:00-2:30 pm
Greg Minuskin 2:30-4:00 pm

Edited by FarmBoy

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

When will Lisa's smiling face be back in CA???????

Yes. Inquiring minds and warm hearts look forward to this opportunity.

Yes. Inquiring minds and warm hearts look forward to this opportunity.

Aw shucks, you guys. I will be there. In fact, I'm planning to attend Pen Posse this Sunday. I'm giddy about Pen Posse! Not even a week away! I've missed you, Pen Posse!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

• 4 weeks later...

Bumping the 2015 SF Pen Show Topic so I can find it more easily, just in case I want to, and don't inadvertently write any more 2015-related remarks to the 2014 SF Pen Show topic, which only serves to confuse the SF Pen Show powers that be, not to mention the powers that don't be, like myself. :huh:

David

Bumping the 2015 SF Pen Show Topic so I can find it more easily, just in case I want to, and don't inadvertently write any more 2015-related remarks to the 2014 SF Pen Show topic, which only serves to confuse the SF Pen Show powers that be, not to mention the powers that don't be, like myself. :huh:

David

I am much obliged for this bump.

I mentioned this in the 2014 thread, but is it possible to get a pen looked at to see whether or not it's repairable? I don't expect anyone to fix it for me during a weekend, but I'm so scared of ruining it that I haven't really tried to do much with it. If I can get a "yes, this pen is doomed" consensus then I'll probably just treat it like a dip pen holder. If it's a "actually, you can undo the previous owner's repairs by researching ____" then I'd be much happier. I can't get either response though until I get it looked at.

Ink Sample Exchange Post

I have many unlisted but I'm trying not to spam the thread.

I also am happy to provide new vials for samples too!

I mentioned this in the 2014 thread, but is it possible to get a pen looked at to see whether or not it's repairable? I don't expect anyone to fix it for me during a weekend, but I'm so scared of ruining it that I haven't really tried to do much with it. If I can get a "yes, this pen is doomed" consensus then I'll probably just treat it like a dip pen holder. If it's a "actually, you can undo the previous owner's repairs by researching ____" then I'd be much happier. I can't get either response though until I get it looked at.

While there may not be people there doing dedicated repair, there are *certainly* going to be many people who have years of experience with these things, and I'm sure that if you ask, people can give you guidance along those lines. Just start asking and you'll eventually find people who can help. Look my up, as I'll be there, and I'd be happy to look or point you in the right direction.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am much obliged for this bump.

There will be people that do repairs at the SF Pen Show, there may not be people doing repairs at the show. People like John Strother, Joel Hamilton, Andersen Pens, West Coast Pens come to mind. They will all be there.

You can also bring the pen to a Pen Posse or a PPPC meeting. There is usually a guy at the Peter's Cafe meet ups that fixes pens if you want to bring it to the ink filling party they are having.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.