San Francisco Pen Show - 2015 Update

FarmBoy

It's May and the 2015 San Francisco Pen Show will be here soon. Show dates thi We have been busy and wanted to update the community on what has been going on.

We expect this year's show will be much bigger than last year. Most of the dealers from last year plan to return and we have many new dealers going this year.

Some Highlights:

Michael Sull Handwriting classes

Master penman Michael Sull has graciously offered to teach two hands on tuition handwriting classes on Friday August 28th. The morning class will be American Cursive while the afternoon class will be Spencerian. Each class is limited to 20 people. This will be hands-on instruction from a master penman. Each class is $90 which includes a weekend pass to the show. The classes are bring your own pen. You will need any fountain pen for the American Cursive class. The Spencerian class will require an oblique holder. Oblique holders can be purchased from Michael Sull ($15 for a plastic holder and $45 for a hand turned wooden holder). We hope to have the registration form up later this week on our website but you can always RSVP by sending an e-mail to sfpenshow@gmail.com.

Full Seminar Schedule

We have greatly expanded the seminars with a full slate on Saturday and Sunday. For the first time, we will be offering a Pens 101 class to cover pen basics. Susan Wirth will again offer her class on both Saturday and Sunday. Susan Thom will offer her Journaling class again this year and will add a Letter Writing Class. We have several other seminars planned but will announced those once we have final confirmation. Please check our website for the latest seminar schedule.

Ink Testing Station

This year we will be offering an ink testing station. The SF Bay Area Pen Posse has been working hard to provide a mind blowing ink testing station. We plan to have roughly 300-500 inks available for testing including many rare and unobtainable inks like the Pilot Iroshizuku Tokyo LE inks. We are working from a list of 1200 inks. If people have requests, let us know and we try to have it available.

More than Just Pens

The SF Pen show is about more than just pens. Once again we are offering live music and drinks on Friday night. This concert is open to all so come to the show and bring friends to the concert. We are pretty sure we will have food surprises all weekend thanks to our sponsors.

Stay in Touch

Please visit sfpenshow.com for show information.

For the latest info, please check out our FaceBook Page.

One of these days we will figure out Twitter. :)

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JonSzanto

• ac12

• dms525

• FarmBoy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://i.giphy.com/2AilMg2L8rTAA.gif

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

This is great stuff. I can hardly wait.

I think Jon said it best. ..

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Well, FarmBoy has been a busy little beaver. In collaboration with unindicted co-conspirators.

That large number of inks has brought to mind large numbers of pens, and a pen show recently over. Have we heard anything from The Artist Formerly (and Possibly Still) Known As Huck Finn about offloading pens at Chicago?

I've been looking forward to this since .... Well, since the 2014 show was over.

As of now, pricing for other than vendors has not been re-set on the web site. I'm hoping there is a 3-day pass that is not 6X a one-day pass. Which is to say, I am hoping it is less than $60.

Does anyone know if the hotel has group/discounted rates for suites as well as singles?

Does the pen show coincide with the Lagoon Jellyfish convention again this year?

David

I've been looking forward to this since .... Well, since the 2014 show was over.

As of now, pricing for other than vendors has not been re-set on the web site. I'm hoping there is a 3-day pass that is not 6X a one-day pass. Which is to say, I am hoping it is less than $60.

Does anyone know if the hotel has group/discounted rates for suites as well as singles?

Does the pen show coincide with the Lagoon Jellyfish convention again this year?

David

Also. Does the pen show coincide with farmboy's birthday this year?

Well, FarmBoy has been a busy little beaver. In collaboration with unindicted co-conspirators.

That large number of inks has brought to mind large numbers of pens, and a pen show recently over. Have we heard anything from The Artist Formerly (and Possibly Still) Known As Huck Finn about offloading pens at Chicago?

Farmboy sent me to Chicago with 300 pens, think I returned with 175-185, they reproduced while there and so there may be an additional 50-75? Hard to tell, there are 500-600 falling out of closet at the moment. Farmboy has an additional 300-400 somewhere in the Bay area? Purchased 48 slotter boxes, didn't make a dent, purchased 20 more slotter boxes in Chicago, still have baggies unopened. Too many to count on toes and fingers.

Dave

I understand that there will be a block of rooms at a special show rate. Just have to wait for the announcement to find out what the negotiated rate is.

Pepsi

Oh we gotta have a video camera for that this year, that was FUN :D

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Farmboy sent me to Chicago with 300 pens...

So it's YOU!

Aha...

Oh we gotta have a video camera for that this year, that was FUN :D

Ahem: posterity...

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

The show rate is available but you need to call the Sofitel direct, the national number will mess it up. Just mention the SF Pen Show room block. We exceeded the allocated rooms early last year and added more this year.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I'm pretty excited, it'll be my very first pen show! I wish I could set aside the whole weekend, but I can really only manage Saturday.

"Science fiction is an existential metaphor, that allows us to tell stories about the human condition. Isaac Asimov once said: 'Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Last year's show was my first pen show and this years looks to be even more amazing. I can't wait to try those inks!

Thanks to the organizers for doing such an awesome job!

• 2 weeks later...

Michael Sull Handwriting classes

Master penman Michael Sull has graciously offered to teach two hands on tuition handwriting classes on Friday August 28th. The morning class will be American Cursive while the afternoon class will be Spencerian. Each class is limited to 20 people. This will be hands-on instruction from a master penman. Each class is $90 which includes a weekend pass to the show. The classes are bring your own pen. You will need any fountain pen for the American Cursive class. The Spencerian class will require an oblique holder. Oblique holders can be purchased from Michael Sull ($15 for a plastic holder and $45 for a hand turned wooden holder). We hope to have the registration form up later this week on our website but you can always RSVP by sending an e-mail to sfpenshow@gmail.com.

My handwriting needs all the help it can get. Any updates on the classes?

Should I bring clean empty pens—with huge ink capacities—for the ink testing stations?

I'm looking forward to the show, etc.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Should I bring clean empty penswith huge ink capacitiesfor the ink testing stations?

If you havent already done so, make sure you rsvp by emailing to the sf show email address and letting them know you're interested.

I talked to Ricky last sunday and he said there are less than ten spots left in each class. So space is filling up fast.

I've already emailed them and reserved my spot. I still need to fill out the from and mail it out with the check.

Looking forward to seeing you there.

Should I bring clean empty pens—with huge ink capacities—for the ink testing stations?

It's my understanding that filled pens will be provided at the ink station.

Yes, the ink sampling will be with prefilled pens.

One reason for this is to prevent cross contamination of the inks.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

The Ink Sample Madness is being coordinated by the Peter's Cafe crowd. lsmith42 is the ring leader. I'll ask him to check in here once and a while with an update.

If you haven't sent in an official registration for the classes being offered please do so, the information needs to be forwarded to Mr. Sull as soon as possible. I'm told by Ricky that he will generate a waiting list after the classes are officially full since life can sometimes interrupt pens and ink.

• 3 weeks later...

we will bring some inks to test- akkerman and callifolio

vanness1938@sbcglobal.net

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae327/VintagePen/vanness.jpg
Selling fountain pens, ink, paper & related items since 1938