Souveran Size Question

BrianR

I have decided that I want to invest in a Pelikan, but I am going back and forth on which model to go for, specifically between the M800 and M1000. The next pen show I can attend is the DC show, so I'm looking to compare their sizes to pens I own or can get cheaply. I am using a Pilot Custom Heritage 92 currently, which I am finding too small for my liking (too narrow and the section is too close to the paper). I am a college student, so I don't want a pen that's so large it's uncomfortable to use for a long period of time. The M800 seems similar in size to an Ahab or a Jinhao x750, both of which fit my ape hands well. Is this a reasonable assumption? Unfortunately, I don't know of any cheap pens that match the size of the M1000 (except possibly the Jinhao 159). Anything I can look into here?

Thank you!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BrianR

• abstract49

• linearM

• SujiCorp12345

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have what I would consider medium sized hands and find my Pelikan M630 almost a perfect size. It is just under 6" posted and about 3/4" shorter than a posted Ahab.

I prefer the M800's size but the M1000's nib. The M1000 is a bit too big to be used for long durations of note taking but the M800 is great for this purpose in my opinion.

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

+1 on M800 for every day, long run use. I have large hands, and I am comfortable with the M1000 and Mont Blanc 149, but the M800 is a winner for just right.

The Jinhao 159 is a pretty good approximation for the M1000. It's more cigar shaped while the M1000 is more cylindrical, but they are of a similar overall size.

post-115989-0-07141600-1430816406_thumb.jpg

Here's the M1005 next to a M800 and a vintage 400.

I find the M1005 very comfortable to use unposted, and the nib is incomparable, it's an amazingly lovely writer. However, for an everyday carry, I use a couple of M800s. The m1005 is not practical for my everyday writing needs (school work) as the nib is too soft. I use it for writing letters and my journal. The M800, with its firmer nib, is good for taking notes etc.

Here's a pic I took comparing the M800 to other pens, you can see it compared to the CH92 on the left.

post-115989-0-13711000-1430816786_thumb.jpg

Edited by nyx_h

Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel.

~ Mark Twain

----------------

Pen and Inkstagram!

The Jinhao 159 is a pretty good approximation for the M1000. It's more cigar shaped while the M1000 is more cylindrical, but they are of a similar overall size.

Okay, maybe I'll pick one up! Can't hurt to try for $5.

Here's the M1005 next to a M800 and a vintage 400.

I find the M1005 very comfortable to use unposted, and the nib is incomparable, it's an amazingly lovely writer. However, for an everyday carry, I use a couple of M800s. The m1005 is not practical for my everyday writing needs (school work) as the nib is too soft. I use it for writing letters and my journal. The M800, with its firmer nib, is good for taking notes etc.

Here's a pic I took comparing the M800 to other pens, you can see it compared to the CH92 on the left.

Yeah, it seems that the M1000 might just be a bit too substantial to be comfortable to use all day. The M800 still looks much more substantial than the CH92, which is nice (and that tortoiseshell is beautiful). Looks great, thanks for the advice everyone!

Other points to consider:

There is the matter of carrying these pens around. I have a couple 800's but prefer the M600 line, it is just more comfortable for me to use and fits well in a short poclkket. The M800 is a little cumbersome in a shirt pocket. I don't have an M1000 or 1005, but assume they would only exacerbate the pocket problem. Then, .... ther is the cost.

Other points to consider:

There is the matter of carrying these pens around. I have a couple 800's but prefer the M600 line, it is just more comfortable for me to use and fits well in a short poclkket. The M800 is a little cumbersome in a shirt pocket. I don't have an M1000 or 1005, but assume they would only exacerbate the pocket problem. Then, .... ther is the cost.

True! I carry mine in a backpack, so size/ weight isn't really an issue in that regard. Cost certainly is though, I can justify a M800 but an M1000 would have to wait a while, I was just deciding over whether to buy the M800 now or save for an M1000.

I too think that you would be happy with something in the M800 size. M1000 is a great pen but the M800 is more likely the right one for your needs. Nibs tend to run wide though so keep that in mind. Good luck with your purchase.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I too think that you would be happy with something in the M800 size. M1000 is a great pen but the M800 is more likely the right one for your needs. Nibs tend to run wide though so keep that in mind. Good luck with your purchase.

Great, thank you!