Cheapest Solid Gold Nib Pen?

phillieskjk

First, If this is in the wrong forum or considered advertising, please, by all means remove it. I have no affiliation with the seller, I was just wondering if anybody had found any pen with a solid gold nib for cheaper. Anyway, the pen is a Hero 711 with a 10k solid gold nib. Yes, it is only 10k, but still, it is solid gold. And the price??? $16. $16!!!!!!! Has anybody seen a solid gold nibbed pen for cheaper than this one? Ebay link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hero-711-Black-Chrome-Cap-Fountain-Pen-New-In-Box-10kt-Solid-Gold-Nib-/230799200250?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35bcb44ffa

Thanks,

Phillieskjk

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• phillieskjk

• benbot517

• Danny Kaffee

• vPro

Top Posters In This Topic

A second hand Parker 45 (flighter) with a 14k gold nib can be had off e-bay for around that price, if you are lucky enough on e-bay. They're sturdy and write well enough - not the best pens on the planet but at this price range - one of the better ones.

With a little patience you can find vintage French pens from the 40ies, 50ies with 18 K nibs for between 20 - 30 Euros (in really good condition!) on the bay - I`ve even seen NOS pens going for 30.

Honestly I would rather have a stainless steel nib from a known brand than I would have a gold nib from a Chinese brand. Chances are the nib isn't really 10k and in some countries you can't call 'gold' for gold if it's below 14K.

On eBay you can be very lucky - sure you won't find new pens with 14k gold nibs that cheap, but you can surely find Vintage pens with smooth 14k gold nibs for the same price.

Speerbob is a good seller, with whom I have dealt. Seems to me that he is

declaring what he sees on the pen and pen nib. It ain't gospel. I have been

using several PRC Chinese pens for nearly ten years. Results are generally

good. I have to remind myself that PRC is not too diligent at enforcing the

international trade standards. " 10K " on the nib is likely a statement that the

nib is plated (at what thickness ?) with 10K gold, . . . . . . or not at all.

That said, I advise a large grain of salt be swallowed. Bid accordingly, and only

an amount you are willing to risk.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Gold nibs are way overrated. I'd just get a quality steel nib.

I would definitely agree with that statement. I am one of those who notice NO difference in writing experience using a gold over a GOOD steel nib... Matsayuma grind :)

Speerbob is a good seller, with whom I have dealt. Seems to me that he is

declaring what he sees on the pen and pen nib. It ain't gospel. I have been

using several PRC Chinese pens for nearly ten years. Results are generally

good. I have to remind myself that PRC is not too diligent at enforcing the

international trade standards. " 10K " on the nib is likely a statement that the

nib is plated (at what thickness ?) with 10K gold, . . . . . . or not at all.

That said, I advise a large grain of salt be swallowed. Bid accordingly, and only

an amount you are willing to risk.

I am fairly confident that the nib is real 10k solid gold, as speerbob's description specifically states that it is "solid" 10k gold. Also, I found several other places citing the pen as solid gold. As such, I ordered one, and it should be arriving Friday. More info then!

You get such a nice soft feeling from a good gold nib though. You can get some platinum pens for around a hundred I think.

The platinum one is the PTL-5000, or PTL-5000A with a 14k nib for about $80. I have one of those coming in the mail too.

Edited for typo.

Edited by phillieskjk

Pilot Celemo with 14k nibs is hard to beat at $45. And this is a good reliable pen. Or is big brother FK-700R-B-(EF,F,M or B for the last letter) is also a good deal for ~$60. This is by far my favorite pen, and I have tried many, many different pens, from $5 to $1K, with many different nib materials. None is offering the same satisfaction and writing experience as my FK-700R-B-M Pilot Custom.

These pens are worth every penny and you get Japanese quality.

Edited by beboy

Speerbob is a highly respected vendor, and Hero is a very respected Chinese pen maker. They have a number of models of pens with solid 10k and 14k gold nibs, as well as plated and stainless steel nibs.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

My Parker 45 Flighter (14k Medium) was $15.50 before shipping. The seller (who has become a pen pal) had it listed as a plated nib. Looking at the photos the color didn't look right for a plated nib. Got it home, checked it - 14k solid. Very nice nib. Currently my only gold nib. I think everyone should have at least one pen with a gold nib in their collection. Doesn't matter what. Just so you can say you have one. Stainless nibs today are very good.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

A good steel nib isn't expensive either. The Pilot Metropolitan's nib is incredibly good, better than some gold nibs I have. It's a cheap pen, it's a good, consistent writer, what more could you want?

"Oh deer."

You had me until, "...what more could you want?" :)

Looking for a black SJ Transitional Esterbrook Pen. (It's smaller than an sj)

The Platinum PTL-5000 is about £45 new here in UK, 14K nib; I got one and find it a very nice writer, although the pen is a little light in weight. And it looks smart - black with gold trims except weirdly a silver band round the bottom of the section! I think that would be the cheapest viable solid-nib pen around.

A couple of years ago I got a Hero 725, advertised as a gold nib which was about £8 new and was very poor quality and I seriously doubt any gold came near it.

I like the look and feel of a gold nib but in real life a good steel nib is every bit as good (FC Ambition, Pelikan M200).

Also, watch out for "gold colour" rather than "gold" - I was offered a Sonnet with a gold nib by a very reputable department store (who apparently are never knowingly undersold B) ) for £100, which was actually 22K gold-plated steel; the salesman didn't know the difference between plated and solid until his supervisor got involved. I didn't buy it.

You had me until, "...what more could you want?" :)

You got me. It would in fact be nice to have a super expensive, gold-nibbed Nakaya. But I gotta say, the Metro has a lot going for it!

"Oh deer."

It Came! It was packaged in a very nice green box marked with Hero, and was resting on a plush cushion inside with a small strap to keep it in place. The clip had a small tag on it saying Hero 10k. The pen feels very solid, and does not feel cheap at all. It is a bit smaller than the 616, Hero's arguably best known pen, but feels infinitely more better made and solid. After a quick flush, I inked it up with Hero Blue. The nib, marked with the Hero logo and 10k, is great. There is why I would consider the perfect amount of feedback, and is otherwise fairly smooth. The pen has some line variation. It also performs well on many types of paper, even cheap. The line width is similar to that of a Pilot Varsity. I love this pen!