Chicago Pen Show

captain1796

I went to the Chicago Pen Show on Sunday. Got there at about 1pm and show closes at 4pm. I know it's the last day, but it was the first chance I was able to go. If you are a vendor have the decency to stay till the end. Book your flight appropriately! I highly doubt the show schedule is a big mystery to you. If you are the show promoters and staff, have the decency to let me know that half the vendors are gone before you charge me full price to see half your vendors. Please don't tell me you have no control over it, as you slurp down your pizza, you do. I hate wasting time and thats exactly what all of the vendors that decided they had the option to leave early did,waste my time. I'm glad you all decided my business wasnt important enough to stay for, so please, if you were gone have the decency to respond to this post so I never buy from you again. I would say that 3 hours would have been sufficient to walk around and get what I needed.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• captain1796

• jordanjay29

• gweimer1

• inkstainedruth

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From the point of view of the vendors, though, some may not have been able to *get* earlier flights. Or they might have been driving, not flying, and need time to pack up their stock and drive back (which may be a considerable distance in some cases -- like the people from Florida at the Ohio Pen show last fall: they were having to leave by about 2 PM on *Friday* after selling what full size blotters they could before then, because they had to get back home).

And remember -- a lot of tables are manned by people for whom this is a sideline. They may not have been able to take the day off from work an extra day.

I haven't worked a pen show, but my husband runs (as secondary income) a food business. He has to juggle vacation time and rent a 24' box truck to haul stuff 20 hours to the one show we currently do (including 2 commercial propane heated convection ovens, that weigh about 700 lbs. apiece, a commercial grade 3 unit sink, an NSF grade refridgerator, and a 19 cubic foot freezer). The truck is generally loaded a couple of days before we go -- with volunteer labor from people (in return we haul their tents and stuff down to the event). It's an overnight trip from Pittsburgh to where the show is (about half an hour south of Hattiesburg, MS). Then everything has to be unpacked and set up before Monday, when we're required to be open. And at the end of the week we have to stay open until Saturday around 6 pm, then everything has to be washed, sanitized and packed up by noon on Sunday for the return trip.

Oh, and Wednesday or Thursday is "Midnight Madness", where we have to be open till at least 11 PM. But if we're not open by 8 AM the next morning, the natives get restless....

And *we* have a crew to do all the cooking and dishwashing and such. People manning a table at a pen show might be by themselves, and have to have someone watch their table while they're getting a bathroom break.

Just sayin'.....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I was surprised at my first pen show to see how many people were doing things that seem ... unprofessional. Leaving early. Sitting when customers were there. Eating while talking with customers. Chatting with other vendors.

After attending a bunch of shows and looking at everything as a whole, I realized that for most of the vendors, this is a hobby. They aren't professionals. "Rent" for tables is not very expensive. I think this probably means that most of the vendors aren't making money hand-over-fist.

I get what the OP is saying, but I think we need to cut the vendors some slack once we understand how the whole thing works.

Except eating. If I come to your table would you please stop eating? Because, really, that time a vendor let a little food out of his mouth and on to the table? That was gross. 🙅

pentulant [adjective]: immodest or wanton in search of all things related to pens<BR> [proper noun]: Christine Witt Visit Pentulant<br>

President, Brush Dance - we make high-quality, mindful Calendars, Planners, Journals, and other fun stuff you'll love

Edited...double posted.

Edited by Pentulant

pentulant [adjective]: immodest or wanton in search of all things related to pens<BR> [proper noun]: Christine Witt Visit Pentulant<br>

President, Brush Dance - we make high-quality, mindful Calendars, Planners, Journals, and other fun stuff you'll love

Thank you, inkstainedruth, for the insight into the vendor side. It is very much appreciated and will not go to waste. It's funny, and I know this might sounds horribl, but I never thought of the vendors as getting tired after an intense weekend, needing bathroom breaks, getting bored or frustrated with a know-it-all. Although I confess the guilty pleasure of watching the interchange between a 70 yr old life-long Esterbrook vendor behind the table and a young gentleman decked out with multiple pocket magnifying glasses and head-gear trying to instruct the vendor on the history of the pens in the vendor's possession. Truthfully, I want to see it again :)

I get all about it being a hobby, the drive, etc. Doesn't change that fact that YOU made a commitment to the public to be at a table for a certain amount of time. If you can't do that please don't show up and waste my time. I lost out on a second charter so I could attend the show, just to walk around half empty tables, and watch another third of them pack up as I was looking at the pens. Soery, I'm not feeling it. And the show promoters acted like they had no idea everyone was gone. Please, there is no other side to this. It's just rudeness on the vendors part.

Sorry, but *I'm* not feeling your attitude. Those people were there for what? Three, four days? You were there for three hours. Maybe you shouldn't have gone at all. Especially with that big a chip on your shoulder.

The day price is the day price. That has to help pay for stuff like renting the hotel. Advertising. Dunno about Chicago but the shows I've been to have have classes -- that means extra rooms besides the rooms where the vendors are. Stuff like that. DCSS has the ink testing tables. Somebody has to buy that ink. And the paper, and provide the dip pens. Some shows have auctions. That all has to be arranged for.

Ever run a major event? Me neither. But I've been around enough of the behind the scenes planning for ones -- ones run by a volunteer organization. Try getting a caterer sometime. Tell them that you're effectively serving your guests the equivalent of two or three full meals. Then try telling them you're charging $5-10 a head.... (Because unlike a professional caterer, we're depending on volunteer labor, and trying to just make enough to pay for the site and the food; and unlike at a hotel or restaurant, the profit won't be on the liquor served because we can't.) They'll laugh you out of the room.

Now transfer that to renting a bunch of ballrooms at a hotel, arranging for convention rates on the rooms. Doing all the logistics; hoping that someone won't suddenly have a family emergency (like the small event I ran on private property for about 65 people back in the mid-1980s, when a guy I was counting on called me at 10 PM the night before and said "I'm sorry -- there's been a death in my family, I won't be there tomorrow. Don't worry about my reservation money...").

Suppose you hadn't gone on Sunday afternoon. Suppose you had only gone, say, Thursday afternoon -- would you be whining about how people weren't set up yet?

Should the Sunday afternoon price have been pro-rated? Not for me to say. I wasn't there. Chicago is a 10-12 hour drive for me, to just go and spend money. And deal with hotels, and food and such. Would I have liked to have gone, and say hi to people I know (and maybe meet some people from FPN? Sure. But those people wouldn't have been there for my personal benefit. Maybe they're hoping I'd be there for theirs.

Not sympathetic to your cause. And posting with an attitude like the way you came across in your first post, I'm betting not too many other people are going to be overly sympathetic either....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

The show organizers should have given you a discount. But otherwise I agree with Ruth. These are small business people and hobbyists, almost a fraternity in a way; they are there for many many reasons and indulging your last minute urge to shop is probably not high on that list.

Also, perhaps the moderators will move this post to the more relevant Clubs and Events forum?

I went to the Chicago Pen Show on Sunday. Got there at about 1pm and show closes at 4pm. I know it's the last day, but it was the first chance I was able to go. If you are a vendor have the decency to stay till the end. Book your flight appropriately! I highly doubt the show schedule is a big mystery to you. If you are the show promoters and staff, have the decency to let me know that half the vendors are gone before you charge me full price to see half your vendors. Please don't tell me you have no control over it, as you slurp down your pizza, you do. I hate wasting time and thats exactly what all of the vendors that decided they had the option to leave early did,waste my time. I'm glad you all decided my business wasnt important enough to stay for, so please, if you were gone have the decency to respond to this post so I never buy from you again. I would say that 3 hours would have been sufficient to walk around and get what I needed.

I agree with you 10,000%.

I think your issue is that you went into the pen show thinking that your time was more important than those appearing there. Would you have been content to wait in line for all those three hours just to see one person? Would you have been satisfied if the person you wanted to see was there, but was occupied during those three hours, depriving you of the chance to see them? If you would have been upset in those circumstances, then you've got a bigger problem.

Learn the lesson. Next pen show, clear out a bigger part of your schedule. Your time and the vendors' time is equally as important, and everyone is there to enjoy themselves and have fun. I'm sorry you felt that you didn't get enjoyment out of your time at the Chicago Pen Show, but there's hope. It'll come around again next year, and then you'll know ahead of time that three hours on Sunday afternoon isn't sufficient.

I was there Friday and Saturday. I think one of the first things that hurt the show was the massive construction going on all around the hotel. Getting in and out of there could be a pain. I did get free parking at the hotel, however, because their automated gates not only weren't working properly, but wouldn't even validate fees when I tried.

I noticed some of what has been said. It was a difficult venue. I thought some of the rooms and space were a bit cramped, which makes it difficult for both vendors and attendees. I also noticed what appeared to be vacant spaces and displays. I can't say why, but it did seem like a much different show than the Ohio Pen Show. I got a lot out of it, accomplished much of what I came to do, and sat in on a really good repair session with Sherell Tyree and Joel Hamilton of Inkpen.

You get out of a event what you put into it. I think that applies to both vendors and attendees. I didn't let the shortcomings get in the way of getting the most out of my time there. I found most of what I needed, learned by talking to vendors (I found a vendor who thought my infamous Mysterioso pen might be a Pick pen from Cincinnati), looked at all sorts of pens (was out of money when I came across a nice Waterman 32...maybe next show), and even left my Sheaffer Triumph with Sherell Tyree for repair.

And...I got to meet Brian Senn (bsenn) from the FPN. We had a nice talk. It was good to meet someone who posts here regularly, and we've bought stuff from each other, and he gave me a neat little Stylopen that I need to ink up soon

Edited by gweimer1

Any type of show is the same - trade show, hobby, the State Fair, flea market, whatever - booths close early on the last day.

Some show-goers use that packing up time to get deals from vendors who want to make one more sale and have one less thing to pack up and bring home (okay, that might work better on furniture and car parts than pens, but you get the idea...).

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

Jordanjay29,

So you can draw the conclusion that I think my time is more valuable then the vendors when really I was just expecting that they valued my time as much as I valued theirs. It's Chicago and it's construction season. I have no doubt the hotel gave the show a favorable rate based on the street construction.

Jordanjay29,

So you can draw the conclusion that I think my time is more valuable then the vendors when really I was just expecting that they valued my time as much as I valued theirs. It's Chicago and it's construction season. I have no doubt the hotel gave the show a favorable rate based on the street construction.

You already mentioned that Sunday was the only time that you had to attend. You clearly have a busy schedule or some other commitment that reduces your allotted time for events like this. That's completely understandable, everyone has their own lives and day jobs, family commitments, and whatever else that would keep them away from a hobbyist convention like this. It's only a full time job for a rare few of us.

But you don't seem to be able to recognize that the vendors have their own lives, day jobs, family commitments and whatever else that would keep them from spending the entire time at a hobbyist convention like this. You accuse these vendors of displaying some sort of malice towards you and other last-minute attendees, as if their effort to appear for at least 90% of the show (but not the 90% that you attended) was a wasted effort altogether. Clearly their time is less valuable than yours if they couldn't bother to stay for another three hours to indulge you.

What does Chicago's construction season have to do with this? It's construction season in every major city from the time that the roads are free and clear of snow and ice (or near enough). If the Pen Show were hosted anytime between April and October, they risk running into Chicago's construction season, as is the norm in the Midwest. I'm sure there would be equally irate individuals here (not necessarily you, just people in general) upset that pen shows in the northern states only took place in winter if they all consciously tried to avoid construction season, dealing with snow and ice is worse than dealing with construction, which I'm sure you know all too well.

Construction in Chicago is nothing new. In this case, it was Manheim Rd. where the construction was going on, and directly in front of the hotel.

I was at the show on Sat. from 9 - 4:30 or so and 10 -1 on Sun.

This was my 2nd time at the Chicago show and here is my opinion on the OP subject. The people who put together the show started late on finding a venue. Once a venue was booked and the word was out some of the venders did not have have time to make the proper plans or decided not to attend on the shorts notice? [ Whatever their reason ] When I arrived on Sat. morning I did notice a number of empty tables and show was in three rooms. Maybe next year the organizers will start earlier on finding a venue with one big room. We were lucky even to have an event in this area [ good job to the organizers ]. My goal was to obtain information on the hobby [ took in Sherell Tyree and Joel Hamilton repair session on Sat. ]. Found parts for a few of my pens and even sold a few pens that I had. I did leave 3 pens with Joel Hamilton for nib repair that I rescued last year at local auctions. I talked to some of the venders on how they polish the pens [ vintage pens ] this way I learned how the process works. I looked at the pens to see what is out there [ make, model, price ] this way when I go to local auctions I know what to look out for. The show was good for what was there to see to buy/sell/trade and information and I had a pleasant time .

Ken

I was at the show on Sat. from 9 - 4:30 or so and 10 -1 on Sun.

This was my 2nd time at the Chicago show and here is my opinion on the OP subject. The people who put together the show started late on finding a venue. Once a venue was booked and the word was out some of the venders did not have have time to make the proper plans or decided not to attend on the shorts notice? [ Whatever their reason ] When I arrived on Sat. morning I did notice a number of empty tables and show was in three rooms. Maybe next year the organizers will start earlier on finding a venue with one big room. We were lucky even to have an event in this area [ good job to the organizers ]. My goal was to obtain information on the hobby [ took in Sherell Tyree and Joel Hamilton repair session on Sat. ]. Found parts for a few of my pens and even sold a few pens that I had. I did leave 3 pens with Joel Hamilton for nib repair that I rescued last year at local auctions. I talked to some of the venders on how they polish the pens [ vintage pens ] this way I learned how the process works. I looked at the pens to see what is out there [ make, model, price ] this way when I go to local auctions I know what to look out for. The show was good for what was there to see to buy/sell/trade and information and I had a pleasant time .

Ken

You were at the repair session? Who were you? I was there, at the front on the left, and probably asked too many questions.

You were at the repair session? Who were you? I was there, at the front on the left, and probably asked too many questions.

I walked in late and sat on the right side of the room. I was wearing my black leather vest with my concert pins on it and carrying a blue backpack. The only question I asked was about the jewel removal on the Parker Vac's.

I too had problems with the parking validation.

Edited by JotterAddict62

I had no problem with parking -- I just parked in the Holiday Inn lot just to the east of the hotel. :rolleyes:

I was at the show on Saturday from 9 AM until around 2 PM. I was there with some friends from another board and met one of my work colleagues there, too. A number of my "favorite" vendors were there, but a few were not. I still accomplished all of my objectives while there, but this year my "to-do" list was short. Sometimes it just works that way.

One thing I'm surprised nobody mentioned, along with the complaints and issues was that this year's venue actually had LIGHT. For the past 15 years at the Westin, I've had to borrow flashlights to be able to see in the main hall. No problem this year. (Yeah -- I'm not young anymore, but it was dark like a cave in the Westin.)

I believe that there were some issues beyond the organizers' control in getting things off the ground this year. Since I've heard this second- and third-hand, it would be unfair of me to share any of it, lest I speak out of turn. I think we should let the dust settle and see what lessons have been learned and what transpires next year.

As a vendor who was set up at Chicago, I will give you our perspective.

We do not fly to shows as we have way too much equipment to bring. I too get rather peeved when the main ballroom is half empty with three hours to go on the show schedule. This is bad for the people that can only make it out after church services on Sunday. It is also bad for the vendors because when it becomes know that this happens, then Sunday becomes a wasted day. Generally we are one of the last people to close down on any day. Saturday we were told the doors would be locked at 5:30. It was 5:20 and we were still working with a client, the show closed at 5:00 and we did not get a lunch. Sunday we were one of the last two vendors to start tear down and began at 3:38 when there was nobody but vendors in the room. In three years of doing shows that was a first for us. I have suggested to a couple of the promoters that maybe charging say $50 extra per table, then walk around the room 30 minutes before the show closes to give those still set up a $50 rebate per table might be an incentive. Like others have mentioned though, international flights are not like the domestic destinations that offer 15-20 flights per day to those locations. Also it is true that for most of the vendors this is a part time gig and not their primary source of income and have to be at work the next morning.

With regard to eating in front of customers, we are generally at our table 15 minutes before the doors open to the public. Our work queue for repairs and nib work fills up fast and is generally more than we can do in one day, keeping us past closing time most days. Many times we do not even get a chance to go to the restroom. Food is a luxury at most shows and usually consists of peanut butter crackers to keep blood sugar from dropping too low. If we do get a sandwich it is because the promoter provided the meal or like at Atlanta the hotel came around to our table and offered to deliver a meal. Generally when we buy a sandwich like that, after paying $20, at best we get about three bites because we are that busy. Our goal is to accommodate as many people as physically possible, and if that means eating a couple bites of a sandwich or a few crackers in front of people, then that is what we will do. If we lose you as a customer because of that, then I am sorry.

This show was a transitional show as the new people in charge start to take full control. They had a very tough job and had to learn on the fly. I refuse to bad mouth any show promoter in a public forum. I think it is more productive to offer encouragement and suggestions as well as help in any way that I can. For us this year that help meant sending out show fliers that we snagged in Long Island to send out with all of our orders up until the time we packed for the show. Doing a pen show like this means putting thousands of dollars on the line when you sign the contract with the hotel. It is a labor of love and not a major money maker as many would think.

In conclusion, if the show was a disappointment to anyone, for that I am sorry. I am sure the show was not the best for people on both sides of the table. Considering the short amount of time this show was put together and the fact that it almost did not happen, the promoters did a good job. If this is a local show to you, then get with the promoter and find out if there are things that can be done to make it better. Make suggestions, promote the show through social media or local pen clubs. Tearing it down in a public forum will only serve to make you feel better after venting and possibly close down a show in your area. I for one will be back next year and sincerely hope that you will as well.

Mike (Linda is tending to her flower garden)