The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Swan Mystery

mabie todd swan 1060

13 replies to this topic

#1 Cob

Cob

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 May 2015 - 21:56

Have a look at this picture:

fpn_1430690151__3.jpg

it shows the barrel stamp of a very nice Swan 1060 I have up for sale on eBay at present.  I suspect that the curious additional letters are a production error so I suppose this pen must be judged a quality control failure - rare I should say at Mabie Todd before the war.  It can be seen that the misplaced letters are made with the factory stamps.

Any views on this curiosity?

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 Fountain-head

Fountain-head

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2015 - 00:30

Does this increase the value of the pen if there's any kind of misprint? 

Edited by Fountain-head, 04 May 2015 - 00:30.

#3 delano

delano

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2015 - 01:29

That's a good question in the "condition is everything" world.

#4 Cob

Cob

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,743 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:42

Thanks for your comments.  As to the value, I doubt that it would be increased by this peculiarity - fortunately the pen is very nice otherwise.

On the other hand if one reflects on those people who collect stamps where there is some printing error - the Queen's head upside down etc., then perhaps is is a collector's piece!

I agree that it would seem likely that the barrel did get stuck in some machine - or that someone was careless!

Rgds

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

#5 peterg

peterg

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 17:45

I agree with you Cob. Definitely a collector's item. How much did that Swedish stamp go for last week? Must be worth most of that!

#6 Goudy

Goudy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2015 - 18:08

Were the pens of that era hand-stamped or machine stamped?

Probably hand-operated machines like the old printing presses. There'd be a production line. Ethel stamped the Swan logo, and Mavis alongside her stamped "Made in England". But Mavis had her mind on other things that day. That nice man in the nib department had just asked her on a date. So she pulled down the lever before the pen was properly aligned. "Never mind," she thought. "No-one will notice that in a hundred years."

utQ9Ep9.jpg

#7 Cob

Cob

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,743 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2015 - 22:25

Ha ha ha: you chaps are great - thanks

Cob

#8 Cob

Cob

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,743 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2015 - 22:26

I agree with you Cob. Definitely a collector's item. How much did that Swedish stamp go for last week? Must be worth most of that!

I haven't noticed anything about a Swedish stamp.  Was it an awful lot?

C.

#9 Goudy

Goudy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 May 2015 - 00:06

Well, she's 92 and the only heavy machinery she operates these days is a Stannah Stairlift. But sure... why not.

utQ9Ep9.jpg

#10 Ana_

Ana_

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 May 2015 - 00:54

I truly wish I'd been hovering around the quality contol room of the Mabie Todd factory. Some pens marked, some not & now the double print :) still, my most favorite fountain pen ever. That is an interesting example! I don't see why it shouldn't go for as much as a misspelt stamp. Great find Cob!

#11 Cob

Cob

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,743 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 May 2015 - 11:17

I truly wish I'd been hovering around the quality contol room of the Mabie Todd factory. Some pens marked, some not & now the double print :) still, my most favorite fountain pen ever. That is an interesting example! I don't see why it shouldn't go for as much as a misspelt stamp. Great find Cob!

Ha ha; I'd have liked to have seen that too.  Mind you, you might have had to watch out for that "nice chap in the nib department" - and you might have made Mavis jealous!

Rgds

Cob

#12 peterg

peterg

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 17:11

Weighing just 0.03 grams, the tiny Treskilling Yellow is thought to be the most valuable thing in existence by weight and volume.

It only survives today thanks to a 14-year-old Swedish schoolboy who rescued it from his grandmother's rubbish bin in 1885 and sold it onto a dealer for the lowly price of seven Kroner.

Now the stamp, which is being shown at London's Festival of Stamps until Saturday, will be auctioned off in Geneva next week.

The three-shilling stamp was first issued in Sweden in 1855 and used in 1857 to mail a letter.

It was printed in yellow by mistake, and should in fact have been green, which has served to make it extremely rare.

Anticipated selling price up to £5 million

Mis stamped Swan £3 million?

#13 Cob

Cob

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,743 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 May 2015 - 17:18

Very good Peter, a great story: as for the Swan, yes please!!!

C.

#14 Cob

Cob

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,743 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 May 2015 - 19:14

I'll give you 7 kroner for it. :D What? I've got to wait 150 years before the price can jump up.

Sorry: Sterling only accepted here!

C.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mabie todd, swan, 1060

Sponsored Content

|