Would You Consider Visconti's 23K Pd Nib Better Than Their 14K And 18K Gold Ones?

RyanM

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RyanM

• Z-Tab

• Ghost Plane

• langere

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Heck No!

Fred

...keep on the sunny side,

always on the sunny side

Keep on the sunny side of life.............

~ Do you know where your pants are

Heck No!

Fred

...keep on the sunny side,

always on the sunny side

Keep on the sunny side of life.............

~ Do you know where your pants are

interesting. What would you say is good about the 18k and 14k nibs? I have heard this many times, and it is still confusing me!

Also, many of you say that the 14k nib on the Van Gogh Maxi is one of the best nibs produced by Visconti. Does this nib come on any other models? One of the pens purchased was a Opera with a 14k two tone nib. Would this be the same as the one on the Maxi?

I found that in the search for the "dreamtouch" smoothness with wider nibs, Visconti created a lot of baby bottom nibs. I have had better luck with wide 14K and 18K out of the box.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

The Maxis sported both single and two tone. I don't have an Opera in front of me to compare. There were smaller 14k used for pens like the Renascimento, also good, but lacking that distinctive spring found in inch long nibs.

Based on a sample size of one (Homo Sapiens with a 23k Pd nib), I can say the Palladium nib just works for me. It is no inferior to the 18K nib on a Pelikan or a 14K in MB146. It will probably be a very close second to my Sailor 21K-but then it is Sailor! ;)

In my experience, not.

As with any other nib, the question is how lucky you are when using the pen for the first time: does the nib come checked and tried, QCed, with perfectly aligned tines, scratchiness-free, &c.? THAT specific nib I mean, although another particular pen (exactly the same brand, model, nib type and nib point) performs quite differently.

In fact, I am quite sure that most of those people who proudly claim to notice real differences between a 14K and a 18K (or a 14K and a 23K for that matter) say so only because they can see that letters and numbers clearly marked on the nibs themselves; would they still say the same if they tried those nibs without being able to read that info before writing (think blank or masked nibs)?

I don´t think either that they would appreciate any difference between, let´s say, a 18K Visconti and a 18K Omas of the same size (#6 for example with M point) if they did not know in advance what pen and what nib they have in the hand before writing. Those nibs are the same Bock nibs, that´s all. Yes, I know some will reply that old tune: "Not all Bock nibs are created equal: each brand requests from Bock that its nibs should be made according to its specifications, so different brands fit their pens with different Bock nibs". Oh, come on, who can beleive that?

plumista

Thank you all who have commented!

I have just received 4 of my Visconti pens ordered, and am having a hard time getting it started. Any advice in this?

• 1 month later...

Wow, just read your awesome haul of Visconti pens! Lucky!! If I may chime in, I personally much prefer Visconti's older gold nibs (14k, I haven't tried the 18k) to the new 23k palladium. I have both, and I always go back to the gold nibs. I'm glad you ended up with both, so you can see the differences between the two. I have gold ones in fine and medium, and palladiums in a medium with a stub on order. How are you finding the pens so far? I was lucky in that I had no issues with the gold ones that wrote splendidly out of the box, but my palladium needed a bit of tuning. Not sure if it's because the palladiums are the newer models, and maybe they aren't being QC'd as well as the old nibs, or what the scoop is. I still enjoy my palladium, but I just prefer the gold ones more. I find that the palladium lays a much thicker line than the gold one. Just very wet, and quite soft. Not soft enough to give a lot of line variation, just enough to give a really easy ride a bit of flair to your writing. But it doesn't feel the same gliding across the paper as the gold. The golds are springy, and just lovely to write with. I'm sure you'll know what I mean, since you have both now. Needless to say, I'm always looking to purchase an older Visconti over the new ones. So, you've had yours for about a month now, which do you prefer? :)

My Blue Typhoon with its palladium nib writes like butter. And it can be removed for thorough cleaning.

+1 for the 14K nibs, followed by the 18K nibs.....didn't like the feel of the palladium nibs much....

As for nib size, besides on the VG Maxi's, the large 14K nibs were also on some of the Opera pens I've seen.

Hope you got your pens working well by now, Ryan....

Mark

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

• 3 months later...

I have three 18k nibs on Conway Stewart pens, 14k on Cross and others, and one palladium on a Homo Sapiens. And I use the Visconti every day. it's lovely, reliable, has a gorgeous flexibility, and works every time for me. I love it!

• 2 weeks later...

Does Visconti offer Palladium nibs in the same size as the old 14k Van Gogh Maxi ni

Aren't all the 23k's the same size as the 14k on the maxi?

I thought they were #6 size. The 14k Maxi nib that I currently have is considerably bigger. Though it could be that not all Maxis are the same.

Here's a PICTURE of mine next to a 146.

Edited by Z-Tab

I see. Here are some photos of my Visconti 23kt Pd nibs....And one with a 14k nib. They're slightly different sizes, but very similar.

post-117629-0-64559900-1445761691_thumb.jpg

post-117629-0-25941800-1445761755_thumb.jpg

post-117629-0-53443900-1445761813_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I thought they were #6 size. The 14k Maxi nib that I currently have is considerably bigger. Though it could be that not all Maxis are the same.

Here's a PICTURE of mine next to a 146.

It's still a #6 nib. The nib unit is not fully screwed/pushed in. All Visconti pens are either #5 or #6 nibs.