Would You Consider Visconti's 23K Pd Nib Better Than Their 14K And 18K Gold Ones?

RyanM

So, I'm looking on the internet for a new pen to buy. My budget is relatively unlimited. ($1000 max). I have been looking at the Visconti pen range, as I already have a few of them, and absolutely love their styling. My only issue is the nib. Some of these pens have a 14k or 18k gold nib, whilst others have a 23k Pd one. Does anyone have experience with these types of nibs, and which one you like the best? Also are there any other pens you would recommend for $1000 or less?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RyanM

• Z-Tab

• Ghost Plane

• langere

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I haven't tried one of their 18k nibs, but I preferred the 14k Au (as opus7600 points out below) that I had to the 23k Pd. That said, it's all relative. You've got to try different pens out to know what sort of nibs work best for you.

I'd recommend checking out Omas's line of pens. They've got some great stuff.

Edited by Z-Tab

I haven't tried one of their 18k nibs, but I preferred the 14k Ag

Au?

I've tried out all three. They vary so much, even within the same nib type. But overall I prefer the 18k by far.

Verba volant, scripta manent

I've tried out all three. They vary so much, even within the same nib type. But overall I prefer the 18k by far.

What do you like about the 18k? And what makes them different to each other?

I have all three types and I actually prefer the 23k Pd. All write well, but the Pd is the smoothest and, to my mind, has the best design. As you know all of Visconti's nibs are excellent and you can't really go wrong. But if you want to try something new - are you thinking of the Homo Sapiens (a unique pen in itself)?, then go for the Palladium.

Erick

Edited by langere

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Sailor Profit "B" nib running Van Dieman's Night - Shooting Star

I have had a mad day of spending, and have bought a few pens online. They were:

1. Visconti Limited Edition Opera Deep Ocean Blue Fountain pen 23ct Pd Nib

2. Visconti Opera Master Demonstrator 23ct Pd 'dreamtouch' Nib

3. Lamy Studio Wild Rubin 14k (limited edition)

4. Monteverde Prima green swirl (Steel nib)

5. Visconti Opera Deep Ocean Ballpoint pen

and have currently winning bids for:

1. Visconti Opera Fountain Pen 14k nib.

2. Visconti Van Gogh Fountain Pen

So yeah, a big day of spending. I was curious, as some of the Opera's had 14k nibs, which and cost as much as the ones with the 23ct Pd nibs. I figured it might be best and just buy them all. :)

Those are great pens! The only one that is not the same quality is the Monteverde.

Congratulations! You will enjoy every one of them.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Sailor Profit "B" nib running Van Dieman's Night - Shooting Star

Don't be so shy ! You have a thousand bucks ! Try the nib. :thumbup:

Walk into a pen store and ask the sales rep to dip the Visconti into some ink for you. If

you like it, buy it.

No offense to V owners, but I would look at Pelikan Souveran M800 or the bigger M1000.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

If I had 1000 to spend it would be anther Nakaya from John Motishaw with a .8mm or so cursive italic.

Paul

Amos

The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Albert Einstein

The palladium is the only Visconti nib I have, but I prefer it to my Montblanc 14K and my Pelikan 18K, and a Sailor 21K.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

The 14k felt the softest, 18k the stiffest and Pd the most difficulties requiring nib work. However they're all good overall and I own far too many.

The Van Gogh Maxis with the huge 14k remain favorites, followed by the Ripples/Skeleton line.

As of late and from what I've heard, Visconti quality has been quite hit or miss. Either you get the very best there is, or something that is just an insult for the price. That's why for pens at this price I'd go try them out before if possible. Otherwise there are other manufacturers with a better quality control reputation than Visconti.

My favorite is the 18k nib, seems to be a nice mix between the 14k and the 23k pd. Also, the 18k nib came in a very hard-to-find nib size of EEF.

If the appeal of the celluloid pattern is what you like best about Visconti, you should also check out some of the limited edition runs that Bryant at chatterleyluxuries.com has -- they are amazing. Visconti has, in my opinion, the most beautiful celluloid patterns out of any pen manufacturer. (Re: the earlier suggestion on Omas pens, they have nice nibs and the paragon/milord line has some renditions that are very pretty celluloid as well, but they don't compare to Visconti, in my opinion.)

Current Wishlist:

Visconti, Visconti, and...more Visconti! (And some ST Duponts too). (Ok fine, getting on the Omas and Montblanc trains now too. Toot toot.) (And maybe on the Montegrappa one too, but only for the Miyas.)

Currently own the 14k in three sizes and a 23pd. For me the 14k nibs stand above the pd due to the softness and spring. As mentioned by others, the Van Gogh Maxi 14k nibs were excellent.

Short cuts make delays, but inns make longer ones.
Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring, A Short Cut to Mushrooms

I have the Homo Sapiens Bronze Age. Great material and great design. The nib is smooth. I also have a MB Heritage 1912. The MB is $1k flat retail new. Out of the two pens, I will pick up the Heritage 9 out of 10 times. Better nib feeling, better ink filling system and better design overall.

Regards,

I have a few Visconti pens. My thoughts on nibbage:

- Homo Sapiens with 23k Palladium nib. Smooth with a little bit of flex. A joy to use.

- Divine Proportions with 18k Gold nib. Smooth with a certain softness, not flexible but soft and effortless. Also a joy to use.

- Blue Typhoon with Chromium 18 SmarTouch Tubular nib. Similar feel to a 0.131-Gauge Steel Smooth Shank Round Framing Nail. I'm not a fan. The pen will soon be sent out to a nib meister to see if I can get a bit more smoothness, but it will never be as good as the other two.

- Van Gogh Midi with steel nib. Smooth and wet writer. Doesn't have the softness I associate with the Divine Proportions nib, but quite a nice feel.