Quadrupod: Origins And Theories

AgentVenom

Hello. I wanted to see what everyone thinks about the quadrupod grip. My girlfriend and I, who are discovering fountain pens together, was a bit slow to jump onto the bandwagon because she has a quadrupod grip and hated writing with my Lamy Safari (my first fountain pen).

After reading what I can find here on FPN, and scouring the internet, I have come to the conclusion that everyone will never do anything the same. Especially when it comes to writing.

I have read articles that advocate correcting the problem at a young age, and I have read that some consider it a legitimate "normal" grip. And at the end of the day, all that matters is how comfortable you are and how legible your handwriting is.

My girlfriend swears that when she was being taught to write (cursive especially) she was told that the quadrupod grip was the correct way. I can't believe that this is correct since most older people have told me they had much more strict handwriting lessons (even so far as changing from left to right hands in my grandparents cases) and that the tripod grip was how everyone was instructed.

Granted, I know here in the U.S. Handwriting and cursive penmanship has fallen by the wayside. She very well could have been taught incorrectly by someone who had no formal training in teaching proper penmanship. I read a statistic that less than 12% of teachers in the U.S. has had such training.

So, here's my questions: What are the causes of the quadrupod grip? What are its origins? If you had a quadrupod grip and changed to a tripod, does it feel better, or did you only change because of how you were taught in school? Or to alleviate discomfort?

Also, if you have the opportunity to see a lot of handwriting styles like I do( I'm a notary public), do you think having the quadrupod grip occurs more in men or women? In lefties or righties? And do you find it varies, or correlates, to a certain age group?

Thank you. I look forward to hearing what everyone thinks.

Freedom lies in being bold - Robert Frost

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AgentVenom

• Aeleth

• cellmatrix

• carlos.q

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's quite possible the grip you mentioned started when schools thought it no longer necessary to teach handwriting discipline, and the use of cheap ballpoint pens requiring some pressure to write properly , was uncomfortable, and a firmer grip necessary. I grew up with pen and ink, and therefore followed my Grandparents and Parents traditional tripod method of holding the pen.

Then seventy years ago age eight I was taught to use a dip pen and cursive writing, the quadrupod grip would be impossible handling a dip pen.

It has been observed that the way most people hold a pen or pencil in a fist ,they would be unable to write comfortably for an extended period. However with this electronic age and the keyboard universally used this wouldn't be important.

When the ballpoint pen became a reality, I admit to adapting to it very quickly. I bought one of the first Parker ballpoints, and realized these better quality pens proved smooth writers and required very little pressure and was able to write in the manner I was traditionally taught.

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

I have been reading up on writing techniques and styles in preparation for receiving my first pens. I discovered I also use the quadgrip and have always used too much pressure while using pencils and ballpoints

I look forward to reading more responses to help me decide what route I want to take: Relearn everything, or adapt my quadrogrip and keep trucking?

Could you post some pictures of how to hold a pen with this grip?

Could you post some pictures of how to hold a pen with this grip?

Of course. Here's what I found on Google images.

post-116959-0-72969700-1430658191.jpg

I have been reading up on writing techniques and styles in preparation for receiving my first pens. I discovered I also use the quadgrip and have always used too much pressure while using pencils and ballpoints

I look forward to reading more responses to help me decide what route I want to take: Relearn everything, or adapt my quadrogrip and keep trucking?

My only problem with changing it now is that the necessity of change may not be required. Do you experience fatigue while writing?

It's quite possible the grip you mentioned started when schools thought it no longer necessary to teach handwriting discipline, and the use of cheap ballpoint pens requiring some pressure to write properly , was uncomfortable, and a firmer grip necessary.

I agree and have told her I thought her teacher may have just been passing down their own habits thinking their way was the accepted correct method.

My only problem with changing it now is that the necessity of change may not be required. Do you experience fatigue while writing?

I sure do. I can not write for very long without my hand hurting. But is it because I notoriously use to much pressure, the grip, or both?

If its cramping, I would say it's your grip, but I wouldn't rule out both.

I think you said in your Introduction topic that you were waiting on you pen to arrive. When you get it, try seeing how little pressure you can get away with using the quadrupod grip. Check your fingers and make sure your digits aren't turning white.

If it still hurts after that, I would then try the tripod grip.

I had a little difficulty adapting too even though I use a tripod grip but I made myself write every day. And I did letter practice. Just the same letters over and over. Practice when that pen comes and post what's going on.

I've found that this grip works best for me, especially in writing cursive. From your diagram, I guess it would be a dynamic tripod.

http://www.jasna.org/persuasions/on-line/vol30no1/images/hurford-spencerian.jpg

I've noticed my grip is totally different from from how Taylor Swift holds her pen - is she using a quadrupod grip?

http://i.imgur.com/NE3qZsS.png

Edited by cellmatrix

Of course. Here's what I found on Google images.

Thank you for the pictures!

The quadrupod grip looks like it could be uncomfortable.

Perhaps it is less the grip, more the tension of holding the pen too tight. My grip is a relaxed tripod. So I tried the dynamic quadrupod for a page. Did not see any real difference.

So just relax your hand and enjoy life.

Enjoy,

Edited by Randal6393

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

I've noticed my grip is totally different from from how Taylor Swift holds her pen - is she using a quadrupod grip?

http://i.imgur.com/NE3qZsS.png

She seems to be using an alternate grip Rosemary Sassoon describes. Can't see the thumb in this illustration. I wouldn't call it quadrupod because it's still three fingers on the instrument...

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3756/13431587994_8793509ac7_c.jpg13431587994_8793509ac7_c.jpg

Doug

She seems to be using an alternate grip Rosemary Sassoon describes. Can't see the thumb in this illustration. I wouldn't call it quadrupod because it's still three fingers on the instrument...https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3756/13431587994_8793509ac7_c.jpg13431587994_8793509ac7_c.jpg

Doug

I agree. I must admit I've never seen anyone use the grip she's using.

Perhaps it is less the grip, more the tension of holding the pen too tight. My grip is a relaxed tripod. So I tried the dynamic quadrupod for a page. Did not see any real difference.

So just relax your hand and enjoy life.

Enjoy,

Agreed. I spoke with my girlfriend earlier and she says she'll never change the way she writes. Nothing feels as good as the quadrupod grip. She had an interesting insight though. She started to try writing in cursive at the same time as learning to write(her mother did calligraphy and wanted to emulate her).

I think she may have picked up the habit so early everything else just won't work.

She seems to be using an alternate grip Rosemary Sassoon describes. Can't see the thumb in this illustration. I wouldn't call it quadrupod because it's still three fingers on the instrument...

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3756/13431587994_8793509ac7_c.jpg

Doug

Thanks for the feedback, I looked back and found the relevant thread from a few years ago that you contributed to on the subject, which has an additional image showing thumb placement. From the illustration, it appears Swift uses an alternative Sassoon grip. Whether she actually read Rosemary's book or just improvised it herself, its hard to say. I tried to write with this grip, and with the quadrupod grip but had terrible results, since my main writing instrument nowadays is the pilot vanishing point and the clip got in the way.

post-93222-0-28446500-1356656272.png

Sorry OP, didn't mean to hijack this interesting thread!

Edited by cellmatrix

I think some of it evolves over time as the writer adapts to different writing instruments and papers.

I used to HATE trying to write on multi-part carbon or carbonless papers/forms. 6 copies, and the last one is mine. :( I really felt sorry for the people that had to write on that stuff as a regular part of their job.

I've seen a few people using a grip similar to the lateral tripod/quadrupod, but with the pen vertical. And I could seen how TIGHT they were holding the pen, and on some, how hard they were pressing down. It hurt me to watch them, thinking how sore their hand must get. But if they were writing on multi-part paper/forms, I can see how that grip developed. The need to hold the pen tight, to be able to press the pen down HARD.

In college, I used to hold my pen TIGHT, and my hand would cramp up in about 30 minutes or less. I was constantly shaking my hand to loosen it. I think I used to use different grips, just to try to relieve the hand cramps. I now have a fairly light tripod grip. The way I learned, was to hold the pen light enough so that someone could easily pull the pen out of my hand. That made a HUGE difference for me. When I was working on improving my handwriting, I could and did write for up to 3 hours at a time, and my hand did NOT cramp or hurt. :D It was my butt that hurt from sitting for so long, on the uncomfortable kitchen chair.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I'll definitely try just loosening my grip first off when I receive my pens. It's gonna be an interesting journey. Here's a pic of me holding some random pen. I believe it would be described as "Dynamic Quadrupod".

http://i.imgur.com/UYWH9fj.png

I've noticed my index finger doesn't really contribute much, and my middle finger does most of the work. When in use, it'll definitely show strain and turn white/etc (all the things not to do).

I look forward to receiving my pens and attempting a more lighter touch.

Edited by Aeleth

I'll definitely try just loosening my grip first off when I receive my pens. It's gonna be an interesting journey. Here's a pic of me holding some random pen. I believe it would be described as "Dynamic Quadrupod".

http://i.imgur.com/UYWH9fj.png

I've noticed my index finger doesn't really contribute much, and my middle finger does most of the work. When in use, it'll definitely show strain and turn white/etc (all the things not to do).

I look forward to receiving my pens and attempting a more lighter touch.

Keep us in the loop. I look forward to hearing what you have to say as you start using fountain pens.

Absolutely! Still a couple of weeks from my pens I think. They're coming from Massdrop. I have a couple of books coming and some extra paper. Feeling quite prepared, excited as well. :)

Now to just find a nice little messenger bag/sack to pile it all into!

Edited by Aeleth