How Many Inks, The Poll

JimCouch

How many inks, the poll  

256 members have voted

1. 1. How many inks do you currently have?

Nobody needs more than 10 inks.

True. I'm not sure anyone here meant to suggest that "need" had anything to do with this.

Should I admit I have more than ten bottles of the same ink? :) More than once? (I'm selling them off, really!)

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Frank C

• inkstainedruth

• fountainpagan

What does need have to do with it?

Jim Couch

Portland, OR

Well, I supposed I could get with 10 inks, but 50+ is more fun.

I suppose I don't "need" ink at all - I could probably use the ball points that are gifted and never use a real pen, but ink is a great joy for me.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Upon who's authority is your statement asserted? With endearing respect, it is wrong in so many ways. :wub:

For example, if someone put a gun to my head and says that unless I obtain and use 20 different FP inks, they will pull the trigger. :yikes:

In an ultimate sense, noone needs anything...unless they want to live. Then they would need sustenance, water, and protection from the elements.

If they want to write a note/message, they don't need any ink. They could use a myriad of tools to capture information.

If they want to have a diversity of inks to give more colorful/artistic expressions, they may need 50-100 inks.

In any case, the poll queries how many people have, not need.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

And SamCapote, of anyone on here, should be able to know the difference between "want" and "need".... ;)

Well, yesterday afternoon, I reorganized my ink vial trays a bit, and put away a bunch of samples that were cluttering up the shelf next to my bed. And I did a count: 148 samples (although in one or two cases there are duplicates, so really 146 different inks). Mind you, some of that number are actually for vials that are now empty, or almost empty, and inks I haven't yet tried (and includes inks that I tried and didn't like: La Reine Mauve, this means YOU... B)). And there is not a complete overlap between samples and bottles (there are some inks that I didn't sample first, but still made up sample vials for, for purposes of having backups to refill pens while traveling without hauling a bunch of bottles around). But all in all my original estimate -- and my original vote -- is pretty close to the mark.
(Now, did I remember to include the bottles from the Diamine Flower Collection set? I guess that I need to count bottles next....)

My husband despairs.... :lol:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

And SamCapote, of anyone on here, should be able to know the difference between "want" and "need".... ;)

Well, yesterday afternoon, I reorganized my ink vial trays a bit, and put away a bunch of samples that were cluttering up the shelf next to my bed. And I did a count: 148 samples (although in one or two cases there are duplicates, so really 146 different inks). Mind you, some of that number are actually for vials that are now empty, or almost empty, and inks I haven't yet tried (and includes inks that I tried and didn't like: La Reine Mauve, this means YOU... B)). And there is not a complete overlap between samples and bottles (there are some inks that I didn't sample first, but still made up sample vials for, for purposes of having backups to refill pens while traveling without hauling a bunch of bottles around). But all in all my original estimate -- and my original vote -- is pretty close to the mark.

(Now, did I remember to include the bottles from the Diamine Flower Collection set? I guess that I need to count bottles next....)

My husband despairs.... :lol:

Your husband shouldn't despair. You could be counting boyfriends instead of ink vials.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Your husband shouldn't despair. You could be counting boyfriends instead of ink vials.

Bwhahahahahaha! :lticaptd: :lticaptd: :lticaptd:

Unfortunately right after I posted that I got the cheery news that the car needs about a grand's worth of new brakes (front and back) including labor..... :yikes:

Plus we're meeting people for dinner, and it's gonna be pricy -- it's Greek Food Festival Week at the Greek Orthodox Cathedral in Pittsburgh (my favorite time of year). Probably we'll get one dinner to share with a bunch of a la carte stuff. Plus desserts. Plus (for me) a glass of retsina. After sitting in the Toyota dealership for several hours getting the brake job done I'm gonna NEED a glass of retsina.... :wallbash:

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I have 50 bottles of ink and 200 samples.

Change is not mandatory, Survival is not required.

Very few samples, but Diamine sent me a free vial of Eau de Nil (very nice!) when I ordered a set of the 150 anniversary series. I started listing the bottles and brands some time back and haven't finished, but so far I can say that there is more than 350, not counting duplicates (not a lot, maybe 30 or 40). I am building two new bookcases to house more of them since too many are in stacks of drawers, which is fine for keeping the light out but not as satisfying as it is to look up and see an organized row of bottles on a shelf near my desk.

264 bottles, 115 samples. My wife seems to think I have OCD issues when it comes to ink, maybe because I have almost every blue created in the last 15 years. She might have a point. But I still haven't found the right one yet!

264 bottles, 115 samples. My wife seems to think I have OCD issues when it comes to ink, maybe because I have almost every blue created in the last 15 years. She might have a point. But I still haven't found the right one yet!

I totally understand.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I have 86 bottles with some duplicates. I didn't count the cartridges.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Wait 'til she finds out you're going to Japan to attend a Sailor Ink Clinic to have the "right" blue ink custom made for you.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/283522-ink-clinics-is-this-exclusively-a-japanese-thing/

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/270520-custom-blended-ink-my-perfect-blue/

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

I'm only four months into fountain pens, so I'm still in the 10-19 range.

"I need solitary hours at a desk with good paper and a fountain pen like some people need a pill for their health." ~ Orhan Pamuk

Is this in the category of better to "beg for forgiveness?"

Okay so I had to count. I actually have less ink samples then I thought I did! I only have approximately 110 ink samples at the moment. (Let's not mention at least two packages of more ink samples and then another package of an ink bottle that are in transit to me...)

I only have around 30 bottles of ink at the moment. (Counting some small bottles ranging form 10ml-30ml)

I think it feels like I have more ink because I have some sample vials of some of my ink bottles for travelling or gifting as samples, etc. Then also my inky mixes too. So it just seems like a lot more.

I have approx. 140 different inks not counting cartridges. (I only have maybe 10 different ink colors in carts.)

So about 150 different inks. (With a few more on the way, yay!).

All this accumulated within 18 months. Yikes, I might have a *little* problem.

Given the choice of a new pen or a new ink you can guess which one I have chosen...plus inks are just so much easier to collect...they are less expensive to just get a few samples and I have done a lot of ink exchanges so that has definitely helped increase my inky count by a lot! :)

ETA: I didn't think to count calligraphy/dip pen inks. I only have 4 bottles of those.

Edited by Tessy Moon

Tessy Moon

My thoughts are filled with beautiful words for the King, and I will use my voice as a writer would use pen and ink. Psalm 45:1

15 bottles. I can't use them fast enough, so I have sworn off more inks.

And I stopped doing InkDrop because the samples kept piling up (as did the plastic waste) with inks I had no interest in (I received the subscription as a gift). I still have a bunch of those (just one year) and will likely just give them away.