Edsal17

I seem to be picking up that same habit! A Marietta at the Atlanta show and now a #66 at this show....but , oh, those nibs!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountainpenlady

• AAAndrew

• GardenWeasel

• MrThoth

Don't know whether any of you will return here, but I did ask Mr. Mcwhorter regarding us having space available for the next Triangle Pen show in order to meet each other. Nothinng promoting anything officially, simply some place where we could meet each other and think I mentioned the identification: here is my request and his response. I will also post this on the other thread regarding the report of those of us who attended, June

"...sounds like a great idea to me. Perhaps out in the hallway where Susan
Wirth offers her workshop or in the boardroom where Deborah offers her sessions.
BTW next year's show dates are set for June 4-6. Feel free to announce this now
on FPN and get it on their calendar. Perhaps prior to the show you can think
about a small agenda for the group to discuss or just keep it simple and meet
and greet! You will remind me about this next year. We can put small green or
red stickers on the hello badges if FPN members identify themselves at
registration. Terry

-> Hello Mr. Mawhorter,

> My name is A.S. (altered subsequently); I am the lady who wore hats
during the recent Triangle Pen Show in Cary, NC. I am also a member of the
Fountainpen Network (FPN); on a recent thread, there were several of us who
attended, who were wondering whether there was any way we could ask to be able
to meet each other at perhaps an empty table or place in the lobby next year.
We would not need to take up much room, space at an empty table, a chair.
Somewhere in the lobby would be great.

> We know each other by our avatars, our clever monikers/names selected, but

we would love to be able to match our FountainpenNetwork names and avatars with

actually meeting each other in person. There are several of us who did attend the

recent Triangle Pen Show, I met face to face with several of them who described what they would be wearing
and I wore hats the entire weekend, as it is my signature; "Beware of the lady
wearing hats and carrying fountainpens."
> I do believe, from the post thread of our experiences several more FPN members did attend, we simply did not
recognize each other. We would love, even if it would be a designated times
throughout the Pen Show to meet each other in person officially.

Also, someone has suggested we perhaps put something on our individual badges to
also denote we are FPN members. If we were able to create something simple,
would you not mind us trying it out next year? We realize that this is not a
FountainPenNetwork event, we simply would like to request those of us who
communicate online be able to meet, recognize each other in person at The
Triangle Pen Show in order to even more so enjoy ourselves with this passion we
all share. We believe the Triangle Pen Show each year is the only opportunity we
have to actually meet each other in person and further enjoy our mutual passion
for one entire weekend.
>

Edited by fountainpenlady

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

I'm probably not going to make it to the next Triangle Pen Show but I think you may be missing a more interesting opportunity here. Since you (fountainpenlady) have already established the idea of identification by headgear, may I suggest The Fez? No need to establish a meeting place and time - just spot a fellow FPN member and immediately walk over to execute the secret FPN handshake. I assume such a thing exists although I am not yet privy to it as a lowly bronze member.

If The Fez doesn't seem like your cup of tea (and we eliminate The Turban and The War Bonnet for reasons of cultural sensitivity) how about The Antlers or The Bearskin Shako or perhaps The Beau Geste Kepi? Any fairly tall, high profile headgear will do.

Just trying to help the team. ;-)

Edited by Chouffleur

I'm probably not going to make it to the next Triangle Pen Show but I think you may be missing a more interesting opportunity here. Since you (fountainpenlady) have already established the idea of identification by headgear, may I suggest The Fez? No need to establish a meeting place and time - just spot a fellow FPN member and immediately walk over to execute the secret FPN handshake. I assume such a thing exists although I am not yet privy to it as a lowly bronze member.

If The Fez doesn't seem like your cup of tea (and we eliminate The Turban and The War Bonnet for reasons of cultural sensitivity) how about The Antlers or The Bearskin Shako or perhaps The Beau Geste Kepi? Any fairly tall, high profile headgear will do.

Just trying to help the team. ;-)

Thanks for the suggestion. Yet, I may not be going again next year myself. I was simply someone who participated in the discussion regarding the fact some of us attended and unless we identified ourselves beforehand, we probably were there the same time and did not know it. It was a desire for those of us either in NC or simply attending the Triangle Pen Show to actually meet each other face to face.

In terms of being a lowly Bronze member, we all started out being one. It is not magic, we rose to the occasion by being part of the community and actively participating. This year, I really wanted to meet some of the people in person I communicated with here, but I am not an annual yearly attendee. I knew however I was going to attend this year after reading about the opinions of others and desire to have some way of meeting up in person during the next Triangle Pen Show and decided to take the initiative and approach one of the organizers. In terms of Fez Antlers or Bearskin Shako, Beau Geste Kep, none of them sound fashionably appropriate or in keeping with my creative personal taste, not to mention my pedigree is that of a native New Yorker and doubt any of us with any sense of style would be caught dead in any of the aforementioned suggestions. Hang in there, before you know it you won't be bronze anymore. Thanks anyway, the team I imagine appreciates your input. :lticaptd:

Edited by fountainpenlady

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

Let's keep it classy and all wear fedoras. ;)

Or pith helmets, in keeping with our sense of adventure. ::cue Indiana Jones theme music::

MrThoth

Scribe, Master of Mystic Lore, Young Curmudgeon

Let's keep it classy and all wear fedoras. ;)

Or pith helmets, in keeping with our sense of adventure. ::cue Indiana Jones theme music::

Ready! I'll try not to wear my Spring/Summer one too often in anticipation. :lticaptd:

I only have one fedora, which I got at a long-established hat store in Atlanta's famed Lenox Square Mall decades ago. I told the clerk, "I want a fedora like the one Humphrey Bogart wears in Casablanca." She pointed me to a shelf of hats that, instead of a descriptive sign, simply had a picture of Bogey and Bergman from the end of the film. Clearly, they knew what their customers wanted.

I also have a pith helmet (French style). Don't wear it much, but it's fun as a part of Halloween costumes and such.

MrThoth

Scribe, Master of Mystic Lore, Young Curmudgeon

I have a sort-of pith-like hat, woven out of palm leaves and purchased when riding elephants in Thailand. Definitely stand out in a crowd at the pen show.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

I have a sort-of pith-like hat, woven out of palm leaves and purchased when riding elephants in Thailand. Definitely stand out in a crowd at the pen show.

Much as I enjoyed meeting you this year, if you wear that hat, I may have to hide. I'll leave a message of greetings for you at the Registration desk. :lticaptd:

• 10 months later...

Don't know whether this thread is still active with most of you. However, if by chance you did not press the stop following button, are any of you planning to attend this year's Triangle Pen Show in June?

This will (hopefully) be the first year I attend! I planned on going last year but ended up not being able to go.

If anybody wants to buy a FPR triveni, a waterman's crusader with a modified barrel, or faber castell pitt brush pens I have one just for you!

I'm contemplating going. There are a few speed bumps, though.

One is that it's a bit of a hike for me -- a lot further than DCSS or Ohio (although I can probably make it in a day, that means a day at either end just in travel -- and because of my back I really have to stop every couple of hours for a break, even with another driver in the car. Another is that most of the rest of June (particularly the second half) get extremely crazy for me this year. Plus I need to be looking at finances (although since I can't make DCSS this year due to the date change I may be somewhat okay in that respect).

But I also just saw that Richard Binder pulled out due to that new discriminatory law that NC enacted. While I hate to see a pen show tromped on (the little guys tend to get caught in the crossfire at times like that), I also DO see the point of view of voting with your feet.... I'm not part of the group that would be discriminated against, but I have friends who are (and there's that old quote from Martin Miemöller which comes to mind right about now; I won't quote it due the rules about political talk on FPN, but feel free to look it up for yourselves).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstaineruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

It's a grand pen show and I always enjoy it. I've had reservations for months. Wonderful folks, wonderful show, and we will be there.

Edited to say I have a pen set aside for Binderizing! Sad he won't be there.

Edited by GardenWeasel

I'm hoping to be there on Friday.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

-Montaigne

I'm planning to be there on Friday afternoon and Saturday morning.

Ruth, rest assured, we will be voting against every foolish state government official who thought HB2 was a good idea.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

I'll be missing the show this year as well (2 years running) because I'll be wandering around Italy that weekend. ;)

"The Great Roe is a mythological beast with the head of a lion and the body of a lion, but not the same lion."

My Personal Blog | My Creative Writing Blog | My Heraldry Designs

http://dcroe05.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/crestdr.png?w=100

I'll be missing the show this year as well (2 years running) because I'll be wandering around Italy that weekend. ;)

Oh, you poor man. Condolences. /jealous sarcasm.

-Montaigne

Oh, you poor man. Condolences. /jealous sarcasm.

Yes, I'll try to soldier on. ;)

As a substitute for the TPS I will be making a visit to the Visconti factory so I don't go through pen withdrawal.

"The Great Roe is a mythological beast with the head of a lion and the body of a lion, but not the same lion."

My Personal Blog | My Creative Writing Blog | My Heraldry Designs

http://dcroe05.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/crestdr.png?w=100

• 2 weeks later...