North East Pen Show (Uk)

ianpw

Sunday 10th. May in Newcastle-upon-Tyne at the Copthorne Hotel, Quayside from 10:00am Anyone up for this one?

Ian

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• da vinci

• david6

• ianpw

• the_gasman

Can't make the North East Pen Show but will be there for the Lichfield Show. Have a great time in Newcastle everyone :)

Can't make the North East Pen Show but will be there for the Lichfield Show. Have a great time in Newcastle everyone :)

Looks like that I'm the only one going from FPN David :o

Looks like that I'm the only one going from FPN David :o

Naw, see you for dinner this evening, getting ready to set off soon. :D

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge (Charles Darwin)

http://www.wesonline.org.uk/

Went to my first ever pen show, in Chester, a few weeks ago; I'm looking forward to my second, in Newcastle, tomorrow. I'm in Durham, so it's only a few minutes up the road.

I feel that my wallet may take a bit of a beating though. Are there likely to be any exhibitors selling inks? I fancy a few colours from Herbin, Edelstein, or Iroshizuku. Treat time! The pens might tempt me too!

David.

Went to my first ever pen show, in Chester, a few weeks ago; I'm looking forward to my second, in Newcastle, tomorrow. I'm in Durham, so it's only a few minutes up the road.

David.

I also went to the Chester Show and really enjoyed it. I had been looking around for a Pelikan M800 and picked one up at the Chester Show. Delightful pen to use and every bit as good as my Montblanc 146.

How did the show go yesterday? Anyone get some new pens? :)

I loved it. I only went for a quick 5 minutes and left 4 hours later!

John Sorowka completely seduced me by identifying my nib need as a left oblique. He had watched me write and, from the way I naturally slightly rotated the nib, immediately recognised that what I needed was a left oblique nib. He showed me a fabulous Parker 75 Sterling Ciselé with a gold left oblique broad stub/italic nib that he had cut to suit his own hand. When I tried it, I had the weird sensation of never having written anything properly before. It was like suddenly seeing in colour for the first time. Wonderful.

I was tempted to buy an Omas Paragon but, instead, was mesmerised by, and bought, a beautiful handmade Twiss pen with a translucent blue mosaic barrel/cap/section and a 1.5mm cursive italic (I think), which John then ground to a left oblique.

I had a wonderful day. When I got home I had a £30 dabble on Ebay because there was a green/brown marbled Mabie-Todd Swan with a broad stub nib. I guess there will be another left oblique grind by John if (a) the pen is any good when it arrives, and ( B) John will accept the task.

Also met some lovely people: both traders and visitors. I was impressed by how far folk had travelled but, having been to two shows now, I can understand the appeal.

Cheers, David.

PS: I don't know how to avoid the smiley — it's meant to be a "b" and a ")"

Edited by the_gasman

I loved it. I only went for a quick 5 minutes and left 4 hours later!

John Sorowka completely seduced me by identifying my nib need as a left oblique. He had watched me write and, from the way I naturally slightly rotated the nib, immediately recognised that what I needed was a left oblique nib. He showed me a fabulous Parker 75 Sterling Ciselé with a gold left oblique broad stub/italic nib that he had cut to suit his own hand. When I tried it, I had the weird sensation of never having written anything properly before. It was like suddenly seeing in colour for the first time. Wonderful.

I was tempted to buy an Omas Paragon but, instead, was mesmerised by, and bought, a beautiful handmade Twiss pen with a translucent blue mosaic barrel/cap/section and a 1.5mm cursive italic (I think), which John then ground to a left oblique.

I had a wonderful day. When I got home I had a £30 dabble on Ebay because there was a green/brown marbled Mabie-Todd Swan with a broad stub nib. I guess there will be another left oblique grind by John if (a) the pen is any good when it arrives, and ( B) John will accept the task.

Also met some lovely people: both traders and visitors. I was impressed by how far folk had travelled but, having been to two shows now, I can understand the appeal.

Cheers, David.

PS: I don't know how to avoid the smiley — it's meant to be a "b" and a ")"

Great write up David, sounds like you had a great time and got a lot from the show. Thanks for sharing :thumbup:

Thanks for the great show report David, I'm really pleased that you enjoyed it. Unfortunately it is very likely to have been the last North East Pen Show that UK Pen Shows will organise. There are several reasons for this 1. My partner in crime, Jeremy and I will both be 70 next year and running seven shows a year is becoming a little bit of a strain (my ill health this year has also not helped. 2. A lack of support from Northern dealers and visitors meant that the show made a greater loss than normal, we never set up UK Pen Shows to make money it was to have fun, but being on fixed incomes we cannot afford to carry sustained losses. 3. When we first started with UK Pen Shows the only show in the North (ish) was the Northern now we have the Northern, the North East and the Yorkshire all drawing on the same visitor pool. So time for one of them to go perhaps.

Now we are looking forward to the Midland in Lichfield (Sunday 21st. June). The Midland was our first ever pen show that we organised and seems to go from strength to strength then we have a summer break to get ready for the London (LWES) and the Yorkshire.

Hope to see you all at a show near you soon.

Ian & Jeremy

UK Pen Shows

Dear Ian & Jeremy,

Many thanks for sharing your thoughts on the current situation regarding the UK Pen shows.

We are lucky to have good people such as yourselves organising these events and, if any of the shows that continually attract less visitors, and as a result less dealers, need to go to secure the better attended shows, then this has to be the right decision.

Whilst we would all like the convenience of a 'local' show, I am certain that UK Pen Shows will have full support from all parties concerned as you look to ensure that shows are worth attending. :thumbup:

Pavoni.

Ian & Jeremy,

It did strike me that the Copthorne was a bit sparsely visited so, though it saddens me, I can understand your decision to pull out. Never mind, my daughter may be going to Sheffield university in the autumn. That's three years of ready-made excuses to visit the Yorkshire pen show!

David.

Dear Ian & Jeremy,

Many thanks for sharing your thoughts on the current situation regarding the UK Pen shows.

We are lucky to have good people such as yourselves organising these events and, if any of the shows that continually attract less visitors, and as a result less dealers, need to go to secure the better attended shows, then this has to be the right decision.

Whilst we would all like the convenience of a 'local' show, I am certain that UK Pen Shows will have full support from all parties concerned as you look to ensure that shows are worth attending. :thumbup:

Pavoni.

Hear hear :thumbup: