What Do You Write?

Bklyn

I am a construction supervisor, so I have a lot of writing at work. And I am in the field most of the day writing in a lot of harsh conditions.

But mainly, I like to write in my Journal every day. Usually two pages , in my A-4 book. It is the history of my family as we are living it. For future generations to read, if people can still read cursive years from now. haha

My daughter is a Teacher, and I bought her a fountain pen to plant the bug,

and it worked ! She will teach any of my grandchildren in the future how to

write in cursive . That's a good thing.

And I like to take a lot of photographs. I have a separate A-4 for that. I place a photo every one to two pages , and in detail describe what I, or we, were doing at the time of the photograph.

I have only been doing this a little over a year. But my penmanship has improved dramatically!!

This is how I enjoy my writing.

P.S.

I have not purchased, or used a ballpoint in over a year now. I like it.

I like the photo journal idea Robert. I am also a photography enthusiast, I might have to try to document things that way.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bklyn

• Sailor Kenshin

• JLZenor

• JimCouch

I started just placing photo's in my regular journal, and writing around it. I figured it was much better just to use a book dedicated to the story of the photo's. And I still put some in my regular journal. I just can't help myself...

I offset the photo's page to page. Otherwise, there will end up being a huge lump..

And it's a lot better than just printing photo books. Have fun.

Copying poetry I love, mostly Yeats for now, to practice handwriting but really to better understand how poetry is written.

Love all, trust a few, do harm to none. Shakespeare

Mostly notes at work. A perk of my job is I write thank - you cards to people that had me in as a speaker. Great time to play with colors.

At home, aside from lists, I keep a journal for bread baking. Not only do I write down the formulas and recipes, but keep updating them as I play with the recipes, and copy new ones that I want to try.

I have never been good at journaling or keeping a diary. Even my baking log goes weeks between entries.

The reasons to write and the things that we write are endless. I am now starting to write lists and do a little bit of writing thoughts that come to mind in the late evening before I go to bed.

What I am wondering is if it is worth the time to learn how to write script. I have a terrible handwriting. Very jagged and choppy.

Anyone like Ray Bradbury? Please read "The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair" if you have about 12 minutes.

You will not forget this wonderful gem that is largely obscure and sadly, forgotten. http://bit.ly/1DZtL4g

The reasons to write and the things that we write are endless. I am now starting to write lists and do a little bit of writing thoughts that come to mind in the late evening before I go to bed.

What I am wondering is if it is worth the time to learn how to write script. I have a terrible handwriting. Very jagged and choppy.

Have you visited the handwriting forum?

What works for me is watching someone with beautiful writing on Youtube. But that sounds too much like magic.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Have you visited the handwriting forum?

What works for me is watching someone with beautiful writing on Youtube. But that sounds too much like magic.

I must look at that forum. I have seen people write script on YouTube and it leaves me breathless.

Anyone like Ray Bradbury? Please read "The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair" if you have about 12 minutes.

You will not forget this wonderful gem that is largely obscure and sadly, forgotten. http://bit.ly/1DZtL4g

• 2 weeks later...

Mostly notes at work. A perk of my job is I write thank - you cards to people that had me in as a speaker. Great time to play with colors.

At home, aside from lists, I keep a journal for bread baking. Not only do I write down the formulas and recipes, but keep updating them as I play with the recipes, and copy new ones that I want to try.

I have never been good at journaling or keeping a diary. Even my baking log goes weeks between entries.

I am at the point where I just play with the even at night. Try to remember script. A broad nib with Concord Grape is lovely. You need sunglasses to read it but it is still a pretty sight.

• 1 month later...

Bklyn, excellent topic. I'll be following this one.

I had the same problem before I retired. I had kept a hand written journal. After I retired 2 years ago I became even more passionate about writing with fountain pens when I discovered the wonderful videos at Goulet Pens.

I got good paper from Goulet (Clairefontaine Triomphe) and started writing letters. Brother, Sister, a couple of friends. Brian & Rachel Goulet. Updated my journal more often. Transcribed my recipe logbook of some years of baking bread onto a Clairefontaine spiral bound notebook using my pens and writing with much better handwriting than I ever did with gel and ballpoint pens. I also got a French ruled Clairefontaine notebook to practice my handwriting in. My handwriting has greatly improved.

I got a Midori Passport Traveler's notebook and keep a 6-month planner in it, as well as several inserts. I record things like going out to eat, special days, overnight rainfall, meetings, etc. Also writing samples with my pens and different inks. List of pen purchases. Then I got some small Clairefontaine notebooks (about 4x6 or so) and made them log books - one for my pens, date of purchase, details, etc. One is a log of inks purchased, with date bought, samples of writing with that ink in different pens/nibs. Then after having too many pens inked up, I dedicated one notebook to a log of my inked pens. One pen to a page, and the ink the pen is filled with listed. I cross out an ink when I change inks so all I have to do is look up the pen and see what ink is in it.

Now I'm going to start writing a letter today. I find writing and practicing my handwriting to be very relaxing, especially if I take it leisurely and don't have a deadline.

Don't wish time away, but being retired has been wonderful. I've explored many pens, inks, and papers.

I have always wanted to try Clairefontaine Triomphe and intend to pick some up this week. Glad that retirement has been good.

I always write the first drafts of the novels I'm working on, usually in Clairefontaine spiral bound notebooks. I keep a home made 'Midori' with blank/lined/graphed inserts for plotting stories, jotting down ideas that don't relate to what I'm working on, ect. Plus I carry an Al-Star or Metropolitan with me while I'm working, so I can introduce my nurses to the joy of fountain pens :)

New to this, but started with my daily personal type lists. Eventually I moved to FPs for my office planner and meeting notes, I also started writing my cigar reviews long hand and then transposing them on-line and am slowly moving toward a personal planner and journal.

Gregg

New to this, but started with my daily personal type lists. Eventually I moved to FPs for my office planner and meeting notes, I also started writing my cigar reviews long hand and then transposing them on-line and am slowly moving toward a personal planner and journal.

Great for starters. WOW.