What Do You Write?

Bklyn

I write everything with a fountain pen. But, to be more specific:

• I write novels. My brainstorming, outline, "Bible", and rough draft are done by hand.
  • I correct papers with the fountain pen.
  • Any lists
  • Sermons
  • Letters to people
  • Meeting notes
  • Sometimes I make little sketches (for my novels) but my skills aren't good enough to share.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bklyn

• Sailor Kenshin

• JLZenor

• Mannyonpil

It's pretty typical for me to use at least three separate colors of ink in a normal day. I did that with ballpoints, and it hasn't changed.

I use at least 3 inks a day as well. It helps me to remember things in some kind of my own twisted context.

Anyone like Ray Bradbury? Please read "The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair" if you have about 12 minutes.

You will not forget this wonderful gem that is largely obscure and sadly, forgotten. http://bit.ly/1DZtL4g

Great topic. I write letters to relatives and friends. I have a nephew in prison i always send a picture of the pen I write with and it has become a much anticipated letter for him. I have a note pad on my desk I make notes in while talking on the phone. And I doodle a lot while I write. And then there are the love notes to my wife.

spacecoastbanner_FP.png

My day job is spent on the computer - making drawings in Photoshop. That said, I keep a fountain pen on me in case I need to take notes on something. I've lost two expensive ringtops that way, but those are the breaks.

I go home and I journal like mad. There's something about ink and paper that I don't want to lose touch with. I also write scripts for a radio show I'm developing (I'm a sucker for obsolete media, it seems) and my outlines and first drafts are written in pen on the traditional yellow legal pads. The permanence of ink seems to matter to the process...I don't care to analyse it but I've always liked the deep black line (perhaps I've mellowed - I've discovered colored inks in my dotage) and the look of handwriting.

I'm retired (early) and keep a journal & diary. I read poetry everyday and then transcribe my favourite poems in the hope that I'll remember some of the lines and maybe even the complete poem. Good paper is expensive but makes such a difference when using any fountain pen. I've even started matching ink colours with different pens & papers. Diamine sepia and Kelly green are my favourite inks at the moment

Primarily my daily journal.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

i (engineering consultant by job) stopped typing out my letters, meeting minutes, comments on drawings from contractors, signing letters etc. instead i write them with my FPs and pass on to the secretary to type for me!!

Regards

Subramoniam

Usually most of my time is dedicated to writing notes for school. About three chapters worth of material is condensed down onto inexpensive yellow Costco notepads. (One note pad for each subject.) When I get home I tend to read a chapter or two from the bible and write the last chapter I read into a recycled paper composition notebook. Wish I had someone to write letters to though. ( ._.)

Edited by ben10kim

Journals, letters, grocery lists, and menus for the week...odds and ends, cheques and bills, love letters to my wife. With pen in hand, good paper 'neath, I write my heart and soul to thee...I write thee for my life.

Edited by FountainPages

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

Mark Twain

Usually most of my time is dedicated to writing notes for school. About three chapters worth of material is condensed down onto inexpensive yellow Costco notepads. (One note pad for each subject.) When I get home I tend to read a chapter or two from the bible and write the last chapter I read into a recycled paper composition notebook. Wish I had someone to write letters to though. ( ._.)

There's a snail mail or pen pal thread here. Put your name in!

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

After many years without using FP I came back for environmental purposes. Most of my job is to correct what my employees write and I realize that I was using one red ballpoint every 2 months and after discard this BP would pollute the earth for decades or centuries. So I cleaned one of my unused FP, bought a bottle of Sheaffer Skrip Red and started using and got happy for stop discarding one piece of plastic every 2 months.

After that I started to write letters to my newborn son. He's 5 months now and I write him one letter every week. I think he'll enjoy reading them in the future.

Then I start a journal and I'm commited to write at least one page everyday no matter how tired I am. I found that writing all in black was a litle boring and I started buying different inks to use on my journal. To use several inks I should have several pens so I started buying old pens to "restore". It's easier to say restore, but in fact I only clean, polish and adjust nib. That's all my present skills allow me to do, so it's not exactly restoration.

I have plans to return to study, maybe for a master's degree that woulb be another using for my FPs.

I refer what I do with all those old pens as "revitalizing" them. I think until I reach the point where machines, plating, and repairing physical damage is involved, I can't truly claim restoration. I agree, though, that it's easier to use a single work than go through the explanation. B)

I do a fair bit of journalling.

I keep the tiniest size Rhodia dotpad on my desk at work and tend to start the day by writing down a list of things to get done. The little pad is so small that I can't put too many things on the list or add important notes. Keeping it single tasking lets me throw away yesterday's list each morning.

Most mornings I ride the bus in to down town Austin for work. I've taken to watching tech videos during the ride. Once I get there, I eat breakfast at a coffee shop and write up some thoughts on the video to help me remember and process it better. It forces me to think about it instead of just consuming it. Then I instagram a picture :) https://instagram.com/p/10dUTFmhTt/?taken-by=_edebill

I also tend to bust out the journal and pens when I want to get my thoughts together on something. Brainstorming, mulling things over - there's something about writing it down that helps, and writing it down with an especially nice pen on especially nice paper is just a pleasure.

I've also been practicing writing flex, but don't really have a use for it. I learned calligraphy with the little felt tipped calligraphy pens when I was young, and this gives me the same sort of pleasure.

I do a fair bit of journalling.

I keep the tiniest size Rhodia dotpad on my desk at work and tend to start the day by writing down a list of things to get done. The little pad is so small that I can't put too many things on the list or add important notes. Keeping it single tasking lets me throw away yesterday's list each morning.

Most mornings I ride the bus in to down town Austin for work. I've taken to watching tech videos during the ride. Once I get there, I eat breakfast at a coffee shop and write up some thoughts on the video to help me remember and process it better. It forces me to think about it instead of just consuming it. Then I instagram a picture :) https://instagram.com/p/10dUTFmhTt/?taken-by=_edebill

I also tend to bust out the journal and pens when I want to get my thoughts together on something. Brainstorming, mulling things over - there's something about writing it down that helps, and writing it down with an especially nice pen on especially nice paper is just a pleasure.

I've also been practicing writing flex, but don't really have a use for it. I learned calligraphy with the little felt tipped calligraphy pens when I was young, and this gives me the same sort of pleasure.

Oooo...what pen and ink combo is that?

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I did think of somewhere I still use the fountain pens--journaling my dreams. They're not very *interesting* dreams, but they amuse me, and it's an excuse to break out all the pretty pens and inks.

I refer what I do with all those old pens as "revitalizing" them. I think until I reach the point where machines, plating, and repairing physical damage is involved, I can't truly claim restoration. I agree, though, that it's easier to use a single work than go through the explanation. B)

Perfect.

As much as I can. My daily journal, currently a Clairefontaine Essentials covers the usual stuff as well as my goals for each day and my thoughts on tea, music or books. It also gets my terrible poetry and song writing, my 3AM starlit musings and thoughts on paper which helps me problem solve and stay focussed. It takes a conscious effort to write creatively in, the paper is so nice that I don't like the idea of crossing things out and generally making a mess, but I like the thought of a neat and tidy journal even less.

I also have a big Clairefontaine notebook, an aborted journal from years ago that I practise my handwriting in now and freely scribble in. Shopping lists get written down on the back of envelopes before being typed into my phone. The only time I write with anything else is when the Friday newspaper cryptic calls for a ballpoint.

Edit: This thread makes me happy. Thanks!

Edited by Venator

I write my lecture notes with pens, grade papers and make comments on manuscripts or drafts of doctoral dissertation chapters.

I also use pens to write checks, make grocery lists and other miscellaneous lists, sign letters, etc.

I do most of my professional writing on the computer and also usually spend an hour a day (unfortunately) answering and writing emails.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

Oooo...what pen and ink combo is that?

That's a Gama Supreme with De'Atramentis Deepwater Obsession.

It's an eyedropper, but I filled the body with these plastic pellets to cut down on the air space and so far it's been absolutely perfectly behaved, even when I left it out in the sun and it got incredibly hot. My only complaint is that I have no idea how much ink is left in it.

After trying many of the iOS apps, Evernote, OneNote, and Android apps for not taking and journaling I decided that none of them worked in a manor I wanted them to work. I decided that a paper journal (and note taking as I was in a class at the time) would be the only solution that would work. I never really like writing, and my penmanship is atrocious, though I am working on that. Since I was going to write as often as I could, I wanted a good pen. I have always liked the idea of fountain pens and this was my opportunity to delve in to the subject.

My job as a Paramedic requires that I write a report for every patient encounter, which is often done on a laptop computer. Many days, they do not have a laptop to issue me or a battery for the laptop, so I am stuck using paper reports. Little do they know that I prefer paper reports, and that I bought Noodler's Anti-Feather ink for just that reason.

I still try to write in the journal daily and I have been trying to send cards and notes via snail mail (how else am I going to use up all this ink?).