The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Identification & Selling Price Help (Meisterstuck 80's)

identification meisterstuck montblanc selling price

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Armand.D

Armand.D

Armand.D

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2015 - 15:33

Hello all,

I recently picked up a MB meisterstuck which buyed my father probably during the 80's..
With plenty other FPs I don't have a real usage with it, so before selling it I would like to know if it is well a 149 or not.

It seems to be much finner than the usual one, and it has a "snap-cap" closure (not threaded).

The nib is 18K and engraved with the number "750", I don't know what does it means.

I don't believe this one accept converters, it is surely (universal) cartridges only.

Otherwise,

For sure it is used but in good condition, perfectly cleaned.
I would like to know what would the average price to put on sale, compared to a modern one/other models,

Thank you by advance.

Armand.D

Pictures :

1430062132-n1.jpg

1430066327-n2.jpg

1430066334-n3.jpg

1430066339-n4.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 ingolf

ingolf

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2015 - 15:44

Hello & bonjour Armand:

The pen seems to be a Montblanc 144. The Montblanc 149 comes only as a piston model. Furthermore the golden ring near the nib is another indicator for being a 144.

Regards, Ingolf.

https://schreibkultur.requirements.de ... my blog - currently in German only

#3 JLS1

JLS1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2015 - 15:50

Salut Armand,

Your father's pen looks like a modern 144, which is a C/C pen; it is definitely not a 149 (which is a piston filler and MUCH bigger). I believe that the current generation of 144s might have 14K nibs whereas yours has an 18K nib (18K & 750 both indicate gold content), which would make it an older version. (I might be wrong here, tho'...) 

As far as prices go, do a search on eBay for "Completed Listings" or "Sold Listings" to get a sense of what these pens are selling for currently. (These options might be in the Advanced Search screen, if you don't see them immediately available.)

HTH!

#4 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,155 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2015 - 16:18

As mentioned above it is a 144 which is now discontinued.  France required anything sold as "gold" to be at least 18K (18/24th gold 0.750% gold) so the nib on yours is 18K/750.  It takes standard international size cartridges and converters. The early 144 converters are just push fit while the later versions were threaded.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#5 Matlock

Matlock

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,715 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2015 - 16:42

I have seen one for sale, in worse condition than yours, for EUR 199. It is also a French market model with 18k nib.

A great pen.

Peter

#6 Armand.D

Armand.D

Armand.D

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2015 - 17:14

..Thank you all !

So, it is definitely an older 144, a model which was reserved to the french market from what I understand.

The gold ring, 18K/750 gives me more details for the sale.
I will sell it as it comes without converter as maybe it will be difficult to find one,

Now I just have to see the "completed sales" prices, and put some classifieds (here/ebay)..

Thank you again.

Armand.D

#7 meiers

meiers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,704 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2015 - 20:14

There appears to be some corrosion on the nib ring (usual problem that can be easily repaired). I would estimate the market value of this pen as somewhere between $150-200.
The converters are readily available for about $10.

Edited by meiers, 27 April 2015 - 20:16.

#8 MrMacky

MrMacky

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 May 2015 - 16:14

Can anyone identify this Monte Blanc model # <pics attached> ? I owned a 144 sent out

for repair. I got this pen returned 3 1/2 months later. I do not think this is the 144 I sent

the repair service based on the following:

. the pen is smaller in size meaning it won't accommodate the refills I used with my original

144 I sent in for repair. So basically this pen is unusable to me

. I owned my 144 for over 10 years. I remember the threads on the 144 were on the nib

and not on the stock as this pen has.

Attached Images

• IMGP0029.JPG
  • IMGP0032.JPG
  • IMGP0033.JPG

#9 MrMacky

MrMacky

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 May 2015 - 16:22

I "was" the owner of the Monte Blanc Meisterstuk 144 pen. I sent this pen in for repair

to a service out on the West Coast. What I got returned was NOT the 144 I sent  but

something different.  I am currently in dispute with the repair people that this was not the

pen I sent them. My argument is as follows:

. the pen is smaller than my 144 in the sense that my refills I used for my pen do not

fit this pen.

. I remember the threads on my 144 pen being on the nib and not on the stock as

this pen has

I need to identify this model # of the pen I have. I KNOW it is not compatible with the

144 model (refills don't fit), but I need to see someone put it in writing.

Gratefully,

John MacmASTER

Attached Images

• IMGP0029.JPG
  • IMGP0032.JPG
  • IMGP0033.JPG

#10 Matlock

Matlock

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,715 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 May 2015 - 16:41

It looks almost as though the threaded collar has come away from the nib section and remained in the barrel. That would prevent cartridges being inserted, what does anyone else think?

Edited by Matlock, 01 May 2015 - 16:42.

Peter

#11 MrMacky

MrMacky

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 May 2015 - 17:29

Mr Matlock

What a brilliant observation ! Of course this is the solution. Thank you ...thank you for taking ur time to respond here.

#12 Matlock

Matlock

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,715 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 May 2015 - 17:55

Mr Matlock

What a brilliant observation ! Of course this is the solution. Thank you ...thank you for taking ur time to respond here.

Pleased to have helped. Hope pen is OK now.

Peter

#13 Armand.D

Armand.D

Armand.D

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 May 2015 - 11:45

There appears to be some corrosion on the nib ring (usual problem that can be easily repaired). I would estimate the market value of this pen as somewhere between $150-200.
The converters are readily available for about $10.

Ok, thank you for the estimation.

I will put it on sale very soon.

Armand.D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: identification, meisterstuck, montblanc, selling price

Sponsored Content

|