Thoughts On A Potential Estie Mod For The Digital Age

trdsf

I recently dragged myself kicking and screaming into the 21st century and bought a smartphone (ten bucks NIB marked down from $50, I really had no excuse not to). Of course all the onscreen things are way too small for my flippers masquerading as hands -- what makes for a great span on a bass fretboard does not make for easy typing on a tiny virtual keyboard.

So what I want to do is get a(nother) black Estie body (to match my current pen and pencil and the Estie ballpoint I want to get) into which I can fit a stylus tip. Has anyone tried this? Am I a fool? I'm aware these two are not mutually exclusive. :)

Optimally, I'd like to get a slab of whatever plastic is generally used for stylus tips and carve it into the shape of a nib, but I'll settle for proof of concept first.

"Well, believe me, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway."

--Crow T. Robot, Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

My Flickr, if you're interested

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• trdsf

• injesticate

• Brian Anderson

• Hobiwan

Hey, how about this? Get a black pencil, and either ...

A. grind down a piece stylus tip to fit into the end of the pencil like a piece of lead, or

B. unscrew the end tip of the pencil (tassie?) and carve or fashion a piece of stylus material to screw on and replace it on the end of the pencil.

Then, shave down the end jewel (if you have a J-style pencil) so it's flat, and you can tell it from the real one when all of them are in your pocket ( or, use a Dollar Pen - style pencil).

Smaller than a pen, and no cap to worry about.

Wallah?

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

I was thinking about that as a possibility, except that it's a lot easier to get a FP body than a pencil, and the ballpoints are even harder. If I can luck into one, though, I might go that route.

"Well, believe me, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway."

Most smartphones will use the soft touch stylus designed for capacitive touchscreens. The older hard plastic stylus won't work on most phones. You could likely replace a broken jewel J pen with a stylus on top with reasonable ease I would think. Might make for an interesting test. The other option is to do like what Montblanc has done and make a screenwriter. They use a round plastic disk that pivots, on the screen. It works fairly well, and could be implemented in a capped LJ or SJ.

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

Can I just say how entertaining I find the idea of gutting a Montblanc to restore an Esterbrook? :D

I will look into that as a solution, thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally a good use for a Montblanc...

Do you want to be able to use the writing instrument as a writing instrument when you are done? Or do you want a permanent stylus?

-Evan

Two options come to mind: a screw-in stylus to replace the nib on an Estie pen ...

Or (and this sounds like more fun to me) replace the jewels at both ends of a J/LJ/SJ with conductive stylus tips so you can work the phone with the pen either capped or uncapped. An SJ modded like this would be a nice pocket carry - maybe someone with barrel and cap in the parts bin suffering from broken jewels could try it out. If you're into irony use a Bell System Property barrel :)

Evan:

The plan (he says after an extended absence for no good reason) is that this should be a permanent stylus, not a convertible, since I lack the engineering to design a swappable mechanism and the eyesight to engineer on that scale. :)

PDW:

Augh, and there was just a lot of black Bell Esties on the Bay of E that I let slide! I should have gotten them for that purpose (and to experiment on removing engraving).

injesticate:

I'm going to keep an eye out for mixed lots of busted Esties for working stock, but thank you very much!

The main thing I want is a complete matched set of four: FP, Pencil, BP and Stylus. So the main driver is going to be locating the ballpoint, which is going to be the hardest one to find.

And I'm trying to think what the end jewel shape should be, too. I'm thinking cutting a cross over a standard FP jewel, to emulate a target sight.