The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Caran D'ache - Colors Of The Earth [R.i.p]

carn dache

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Poll: A (35 member(s) have cast votes)

And the winner is

1. Amazon (5 votes [10.87%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.87%

2. Blue Night (3 votes [6.52%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.52%

3. Blue Sky (2 votes [4.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

4. Carbon (1 votes [2.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.17%

5. Caribbean Sea (9 votes [19.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.57%

6. Grand Canyon (9 votes [19.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.57%

7. Saffron (7 votes [15.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.22%

8. Storm (5 votes [10.87%] - View)

9. Sunset (5 votes [10.87%] - View)

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 visvamitra

visvamitra

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 April 2015 - 19:21

Located in Geneva since its inception in 1915, the Maison Caran d'Ache is committed to creating and developing writing and drawing instruments. 

Caran d’Ache is the pen name by which Russian-born French illustrator, Emmanuel Poiré, achieved worldwide renown in the 19th century. The choice turned out to be a salient one, since “karandash” is the Russian term for “pencil” and in turn comes from the Turkish root “kara tash” which refers to black stone – the origins of graphite.

This natural material found in the mountains of Switzerland gave rise to the first Swiss pencil factory set up in Geneva in 1915. Nine years later, in the hands of its founder, the visionary Arnold Schweitzer, it took the name of the famous illustrator became known as Caran d’Ache.

SPAv3p.png

Some time ago CdA introduced magnificient series od inks called Colors of the earth.

IjM0jZ.jpg

The series offered nine inks inspired by colors of the nature. The concept was really nice, the execution flawless (I loved the bottles), only the price wasn't that thrilling. But hey, we're talking premium product here.

Colors of the Earth line that was discontinued in early 2013, and with time replaced with Chrtomatics series. .

Samples of Colors of the Earth series inks were kindly send to me by Michael R. Thank you a lot!

At the moment of making this comparison Ididn't have Carbon sample so it's not included. As I dislike black inks, that's not a problem for me. I have impression that some of the colors changed with age. Obvious example is Washed Out Ugly Something Formerly Known as Blue Night. As you see the sample looks everything but blue. It's sad and discouraging that premium ink behaves this way. I remember trying Sunset around two years ago and as I remember it was brighter.

Anyway let's takle a look at what I've got.

Colors of the Earth

AV8UPO.jpg

Ink splash

vp1sWZ.jpg

MY85Jv.jpg

Swabs

D6Yht3.jpg

Atrament na ręczniku kuchennym

Vm8qd1.jpg

GScribbles, my company paper, Kaweco Classic Sport, B

QkHWfc.jpg

Notatnik z Leclerca, Kaweco Classic Sport ze stalówką w rozmiarze B

hUa0A0.jpg

Calendar, Kaweco Classic Sport, B

k3A0Kv.jpg

Calendar, Hero 5028, stub 1,9

SMzhuj.jpg

TeNeues notebook, Hero 5028, stub 1,9

M0zzrk.jpg
KUOU7F.jpg

Waterproofness

9xkzi0.jpg

wW4eNI.jpg

Summary

Blue Night transformation is disturbing however I'll keep good memories of the series. As far as I'm concerned Colors of the Earth were much more intertesting than Chromatics. On the other hand I've tried only 4 Chromatics inks so far.

Amazon, Grand Canyon, Saffron i Storm were all unique and stunning colors. I wish they were still produced. The other inks don't impress me, well, maybe with one exception. Namely Caribbean Sea. This one made a hell of impression on me. I feel instant revilsion whenever I see it. It's one of the colors that hunt me in my nightmares.  

Edited by visvamitra, 25 April 2015 - 19:21.

Sponsored Content

#2 Cyber6

Cyber6

Extremely AWESOME !!!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 April 2015 - 00:37

Caribbean Sea. This one made a hell of impression on me. I feel instant revilsion whenever I see it. It's one of the colors that hunt me in my nightmares.  

LOL..You are so funny...  :lol:

My favorites are: Caribbean Sea, Saffron, Sunset, Canyon and Storm.  I am only missing a bottle of each Canyon and Storm. 

I do have Blue Night.. the blue version of it.  Is an OK blue/black for me.  ;)

Thanks for the comparison Vis... :D

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

#3 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Inkfluencer

• Member - Gold

• 4,360 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 April 2015 - 00:52

Great review. Amazon is my dream green...  :(

#4 I like mango cheesecake

I like mango cheesecake

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 April 2015 - 02:10

Excellent. I have sunset and I agree it is more bright like a fuschia pink colour. I have saffron too.

#5 visvamitra

visvamitra

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 April 2015 - 05:14

At the moment I have only half of Amazon bottle left. I'm going to use it, there's mo point in keeping it for next generations ;)

I used to have Saffron and Grand Canyon bottles but sadly they're already finished. And there won't be more :/

#6 Lorna Reed

Lorna Reed

Voluntary Verger

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 April 2015 - 06:40

Caribbean Sea is my all time favourite ink. :wub:  I still have a few bottles stashed away.

Whatever is true,whatever is noble,whatever is right,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.
Philippians 4.8

#7 cybaea

cybaea

Messsage me

• Member - Gold

• 1,013 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 April 2015 - 20:33

visvamitra, on 25 Apr 2015 - 20:21, said:

Amazon, Grand Canyon, Saffron i Storm were all unique and stunning colors. I wish they were still produced. The other inks don't impress me, well, maybe with one exception. Namely Caribbean Sea. This one made a hell of impression on me. I feel instant revilsion whenever I see it. It's one of the colors that hunt me in my nightmares.  

It is the colour of Cthulhu, I am sure of it. :-O

Cthulhu_and_R%27lyeh.jpg

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

#8 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,820 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2015 - 00:23

I voted in the poll for Grand Canyon (it's the only Caran d'Ache ink I have).  I picked up a bottle of it on clearance at Christmastime, when I was up in Boston and made a pilgrimage to Btomfield Pen Shop.  It's a very nice ink, and a great color.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#9 saskia_madding

saskia_madding

Donor Pen

• FPN Super Moderators

• 3,335 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2015 - 14:50

I don't tend to like browns, so I gave Grand Canyon a pass.  It's nice, but isn't as nice as MB SG 2005, in my opinion.  And the Blue Night was so ugly, and then it turned gray, like yours.  The Blue Sky was too insipid for me after all the amazing Sailor blues I've tried.

But Sunset and Caribbean Sea are among my all time favourite inks, EVER, and Saffron and Amazon, are a close second, with Storm pulling up in the rear of all time favourite inks.  Before they went out of stock I bought at least 7 bottles of each, more of some.  I think I have something like 10 bottles of Carribbean Sea and Sunset.  :D

Thanks for this detailed comparison!

#10 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 14:58

Diamine Steel Blue is the closest ink I have found as a replacement for Caribbean Sea.

I would buy Sunset though, if I ever found it.

They have Carbon Black, Blue Sky and Blue Night in stock in my local pen shop

Edited by Chrissy, 27 April 2015 - 15:01.

#11 I like mango cheesecake

I like mango cheesecake

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 934 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2015 - 15:40

I'm bought my Sunset last year from a Canadian online / bm store. Not the common ones but has to search quite some time for it. They might still have

#12 Cushy Butterfield

Cushy Butterfield

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2015 - 16:08

Chrissie, Amazon UK have sunset, Caribbean Sea and Amazon, £19.99 each free P&P.

#13 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 21:42

Chrissie, Amazon UK have sunset, Caribbean Sea and Amazon, £19.99 each free P&P.

Yes I know of those. I wouldn't pay that much for any of them though. :yikes:

I should have added 'at a reasonable price' to my post.

I'm not at all worried about Caribbean Sea. I'm happy to stick with Diamine Steel Blue at less than half the price for twice as much. ;)

Edited by Chrissy, 27 April 2015 - 21:44.

#14 VivienR

VivienR

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,229 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2015 - 19:49

I only have Blue Sky, Blue Night and Carbon. I love the Carbon the most from the three... although your Blue Night review is bit surprising to me, in my fine nibs its more like Diamine Prussian Blue. Well, Diamine Steel Blue seems a good match, I have that, sadly not own Caribbean See. Even they are pricey ones, I think they worth the price with packing and everything. They are really good inks.

#15 mhosea

mhosea

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 May 2015 - 03:27

Sometimes comparisons from memory can be misleading, but that scan of Caribbean Sea sure does remind me of Kaweco Paradise Blue.  I thought I was OK with it the day I took a pen to work with a Paradise Blue cartridge in it.  A few hours later, I was changing inks.  Probably a love it or hate it kind of color.

I also remember CdA Sunset differently, more flamingo less rose.

Edited by mhosea, 02 May 2015 - 03:29.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

#16 nicholasyeo

nicholasyeo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,809 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 May 2015 - 09:24

The Colours of the Earth series is prone to this kind of issue - I remember my bottle of Carribean Sea became washed out too!

#17 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,054 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 May 2015 - 05:23

Thank you Vis, these comparisons take a lot of time, and I appreciate the effort!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

Sponsored Content

|