Kaweco Brass Sport

HCD

My first post I am afraid.

First, :W2FPN:

Second, no need to be afraid - only a few of us bite, and in any case your comments make one of the best reviews I've seen for a while! Many thanks, although the raw aluminum may be more to my taste when the money next comes in.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Goudy

• WireFox

• HCD

• hood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the review and follow-up. I've been thinking about getting one of these.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

I was waiting for this pen to became available in appelboom bur could not wait wand i wanted to try the lilliput so i got me a Lilliput in brass, should arrive any day

I used Peet polish which does reduce the smell initially but I suspect the smell is generated by the moisture on our hands reacting with the metal. Applying something like Rylard military/marine grade brass lacquer may help and would keep the pen shiny too.

This was my first thought on hearing about this pen: it would stink after a while! I have handfuls of Sports, modern and vintage, and I'm the odd man out in that the brass does nothing for me.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

This was my first thought on hearing about this pen: it would stink after a while! I have handfuls of Sports, modern and vintage, and I'm the odd man out in that the brass does nothing for me.

I wouldn't say it stinks! I don't notice the brass smell when I'm writing with it, only if I hold it up to my nose and sniff it. My fingers pick up a slight brass smell from the pen.

http://i.imgur.com/utQ9Ep9.jpg

I've got my lilliput brass and it is a really nice pen, nice weight and writes really well
it also have a metallic smell but i like it
when i got it well used and aged i'll post some pics

Mine's acquired a tanline, with a patina developing faster on the more exposed parts (the cap and the rear of the barrel). Maybe I'm not using it enough!

http://i.imgur.com/DUEWbKl.jpg

Thanks for the follow-up. I'm still thinking about this pen.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

• 4 weeks later...

Love your call re the bronze clip...perfect.

I'd like a time lapse series to be done so we can see the patina grow and gradually cover the pen. Getting that patina on it seems like a main reason to get the raw brass...like it is the solid copper Kaweco Liliput. I'm lusting after that one. Nice one there for sure, both. I have the Aluminum body Sport...love it.

Here's a question...why does everyone doing a video review of the AL Sport or the Lamy AL, etc. call the pen the "all Sport"? No one seems to GET that the periodic table abbreviation for Aluminum is " AL". Maybe if they called the copper Liliput the "CU Liliput", etc. folks would get it. Seems like such a no brainer.

Hey,

just wondering if anyone with a brass sport could comment on the grip of the screw threads?

I'd better explain my question: I have several Kaweco's, including some vintage ones, but the AL Sport I have has several times become unscrewed in my pocket which makes me nervous about carrying it. Never had a problem with any of the plastic type barrels which seem to bite more on the threads. So I'd be interested if anyone had noticed if the brass version comes to a dead stop when tightening.

Cheers,

Richard

My AL Sport came with a cap which unscrewed quite easily, but the cap did quite fast develop a snag at the end so now it doesn't unscrew even when I do carry it in jacket pocket with all the coins and such.

Love your call re the bronze clip...perfect.

I'd like a time lapse series to be done so we can see the patina grow and gradually cover the pen. Getting that patina on it seems like a main reason to get the raw brass...like it is the solid copper Kaweco Liliput. I'm lusting after that one. Nice one there for sure, both. I have the Aluminum body Sport...love it.

Here's a question...why does everyone doing a video review of the AL Sport or the Lamy AL, etc. call the pen the "all Sport"? No one seems to GET that the periodic table abbreviation for Aluminum is " AL". Maybe if they called the copper Liliput the "CU Liliput", etc. folks would get it. Seems like such a no brainer.

I did get that the "AL" referred to aluminium, but I wonder why Kaweco went on using "AL" instead of the correct abbreviation "Al". Guess it looks better.

You do not have a right to post. You do not have a right to a lawyer. Do you understands these rights you do not have?

Kaweco Supra (titanium B), Al-Sport (steel BB).

Parker: Sonnet (dimonite); Frontier GT; 51 (gray); Vacumatic (amber).

Pelikan: m600 (BB); Rotring ArtPen (1,9mm); Rotring Rive; Cult Pens Mini (the original silver version), Waterman Carene (ultramarine F)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm torn between the Raw Aluminum and the Brass - I may need to hold out hope for a Copper Sport or better yet a Fireblue Steel Sport.

I love my silver Liliput, but I can't rationalize having more than one. As it is, when I bought my silver Liliput, I also bought one in black. The black one remains un-inked and in the box.

My Brass Sport is developing patina nicely, and it writes really great. I'm using it with squeeze style converter by Kaweco.

19248732454_89ae46f35b_o.jpg

19683389250_ac2589b0f6_o.jpg

If someone wanted to keep a brass body like this well polished...and not let it tarnish...er, obtain a patina, etc. - they would very likely be well served by using the fantastic "Fabulustre" cloth. It's a very soft two-part cloth impregnated with Jeweler's Rouge one one side and just a clean soft cloth on the other. Ideal for polishing non-ferrous metals. Cheap. Easy. Works incredibly well.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=fabulustre+cloth&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=33837827155&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7107033919999577540&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=t&ref=pd_sl_8kbmmpr8qk_e

I'm torn between the Raw Aluminum and the Brass

Having used both for some months, my preference is for the Raw Aluminium. It's the only pen I always carry around with me. I love the industrial, utilitarian look of it, particularly now that it's picked up some scratches from keys and coins in my pocket. The brass is more "shabby chic", like a fake antique (I have genuine antique pens, so I don't need a fake one).

In use, they're identical apart from the extra weight (and slight smell) of the brass.

If you go for the aluminium, note this potential problem: AL Sport thread galling. Some silicone grease on the thread should prevent it.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, if this system is working there's a shot of mine below. I must say I really like it, even if the gold nib IS quite pricey. There's a fuller review - well, a meta-review really - at the new United Inkdom site, too.fpn_1439278475__brassgold.jpg site, too

Lovely thread and photos, thank you all for sharing! I have the raw aluminum version on its way but gosh it was a hard decision between that and this brass baby. I do love the brass wave Liliput though too, so have a mind to make that my brass pen. :)

Conid R DCB DB FT Ti & Montblanc 146 stub nib | Lamy 2000; Vista | Montblanc 90th Anni Legrand | Pelikan M800 Burnt Orange; M805 Stresemann | Pilot Prera; VP Guilloche | Visconti Fiorenza Lava LE; Homo Sapiens Bronze

• 3 weeks later...

A week or so later :-) I now have the 14k gold fine nib fitted. After using a steel nib this feels more like a medium but the smoothness is very much in evidence and it lays plenty of ink down on the page which I like very much. Thankfully the nib is not so smooth that there is nil resistance. You can feel the paper and I like that also. Is it worth ten times the price of a steel nib? probably not in terms of pure economics but as a writing experience the premium is worth paying.

First off I will show you the effect of a week of everyday use on the brass finish. It does develop a rather nice patina which gives the pen a aged look. And a word of warning; if you do not like the metallic smell of oxidised brass on your hands this is certainly not the pen for you. It does not bother me since I use a brass vaping mod to practice my only vice ;-)

http://i60.tinypic.com/fjp1n6.jpg

I then gave the pen a polish (not as much work as you may think)

http://i62.tinypic.com/2qiwjti.jpg

http://i60.tinypic.com/2wm2nf8.jpg

http://i57.tinypic.com/16a8sus.jpg

I am weakening.

I have been using my raw aluminium Sport for a couple of weeks now since its arrival, and absolutely love it. It sits in the pen loop of my daily brain dump notebook and is already acquiring a nice patina and many an envious eye. I love these photos of your pen, WireFox. It's awesome how a raw metal pen can evolve with use and care, it seems to give back more than a pen made of other materials. So now I am lusting after more precious metal, and as luck would have it, I have a marvellous excuse now to treat myself to a new pen.

I have just ordered a beautiful blue Leuchtturm1917 notebook with silver embossing on the front for a big project I have starting next week, and wouldn't you know it, but that notebook is coming with a pen loop too. An empty one. (Yes, I know that so far as excuses go this might be pushing it, but shhh. I like my notebooks to be self-sufficient.) So whilst I still love the Brass Wave Liliput I already use the Fireblue as a pocket pen, and a pen loop requires a pen with a clip, so I do believe a brass 'n' bronze Sport of my own will soon be headed down under. B)

ETA: Oh and it's great to hear your thoughts on the gold nib, too. Such a shame they are so damn expensive; I have three beloved Kaweco pens now, and cannot afford to begolden them all! I also suspect that purchasing one gold nib might make the others seem extra rough by comparison. Hmm..

Edited by FeuBleu

Conid R DCB DB FT Ti & Montblanc 146 stub nib | Lamy 2000; Vista | Montblanc 90th Anni Legrand | Pelikan M800 Burnt Orange; M805 Stresemann | Pilot Prera; VP Guilloche | Visconti Fiorenza Lava LE; Homo Sapiens Bronze