• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Goudy

• WireFox

• HCD

• hood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've just seen it on ebay from The Hamilton Pen Company (hamiltonpenco) in the UK and Seitz Kreuznach (seitz-kreuznach) in Germany - both have their own websites but I've not looked on them. I hadn't heard of a brass version coming out and just stumbled across these while looking for Al Sports. Strangley it isn't listed on Kaweco's own website :wacko:

These wil be availabe ' soon'

Don't have a date when these will generally available yet

www.fontoplumo.nl

info@fontoplumo.nl

I ordered one from Cult Pens today. It should arrive tomorrow - pretty excited!

Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.

I ordered one from Cult Pens today. It should arrive tomorrow - pretty excited!

let me know how it is like

I'm now don't know if a should buy the brass ou al raw one

I really want one, I loved the idea of a brass version as soon as the Lilliput came out but didn't think they'd ever do it. But I've been resisting the temptation for an Al Sport Raw for about a year - if I can't justify £44 for one of those, then I'm going to struggle with one of these!

I must admit I'm finding it hard to resist the brass Sport with a gold-coloured nib (80 Euros delivered on eBay):

http://i.imgur.com/9DbGCbP.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/utQ9Ep9.jpg

... Made from solid brass, which is left untreated and uncoated, it weighs in at 44g ...

Semper Faciens, Semper Discens

My first post I am afraid. I was searching for a review of the Kuweco Brass Sport and could find nothing except this thread. I had been meaning to join the FP Network and so this was a perfect excuse :-)

I received a brass sport a couple of days ago from Cult Pens specifying the fine nib and adding the bronze clip

http://i60.tinypic.com/30j19c9.jpg

http://i61.tinypic.com/117h98j.jpg

This is a little gem. It is heavy, robust and a real joy to handle. So much so that I have ordered the 14k gold nib and this will become my everyday pen. Like the stonewashed sport options this is not a pen for those who prefer a perfect polished finish. It is already developing a patina that I find attractive on unpolished brass. As you can see the outer nib section is obviously made from a different lump of stock to the rest of the pen and is darker.

It feels solid and it is solid and I would have no hesitation in slipping this into a pocket or bag un-protected. The pen is short and posted it is the same length as the un-posted Lamy Safari. I have large hands but I do not have any problems with the diminutive size of this pen.

The nib: The nib is a stainless steel F point and I refilled an empty short cartridge with Diamine Graphite ink for tests. I would recommend flushing the nib section with water before use. This is a fine nib; very fine. As such it feels a tad drier than the equivalent of my Lamy pens and my Visconti. Having said that it is very smooth indeed. I suspect the 14k gold nib I ordered will be a little wetter

http://i61.tinypic.com/2jflzbc.jpg

Filling: The Sport takes a standard short continental cartridge. I tried it first with a J Herbin cartridge and that seated with a very positive click. I am not a cartridge fan and have converters for all my other pens but in all honesty there is not discernible difference. I prefer using bottled ink so I filled an empty Visconti cartridge with Diamine ink and it worked perfectly. As far as I know Kaweco do not make a converter for the Sport and I don't see that as being any problem at all

Finish: Raw extruded brass and puts me in mind of a large rifle cartridge. I like the unpolished brass but I daresay for those who like shiny pens a dab of Peet or Autosol and a bit of elbow grease will obtain an impressive finish. The cap is octagonal and very comfortable in the hand. In fact its tactility, solidness and 1930's retro look makes it a hard pen to put down.

Clip: And the first slight gripe :-) I purchased the classic bronze finish clip (the pen is not supplied with a clip) It matches the finish and the style of the pen well but it does not sit concentrically with the cap. A bit of squeezing made a better fit and indeed it is necessary to pinch the clip together to get a secure fit on the cap.

Packaging: Not something that bothers me but the pen did come in the Kaweco tin box which is rather nice. The moulded plush is thin and cheap but if you like to keep pens in boxes a square of folded linen would bring the packaging up to the quality of the pen. oh and you get a little Kaweco sticker too.

Thanks very much for that review, WireFox.

Mine also arrived this week, and I think I even prefer it to the AL Sport. It's definitely weightier, and the brass finish, which comes with factory applied microscratches(!), is very eyecatching:

http://i.imgur.com/YWkaHjx.jpg

The brass of the grip section on mine seems to be consistent with the rest of the pen. The nib is just gold-coated, not one of the solid gold Kaweco nibs.

Kaweco do sell a squeeze converter which fits this pen, but it's very hard to fill (or maybe I just haven't acquired the knack). I use empty cartridges and a syringe if I want to use bottled ink.

Goudy

I may have a bash at the converter. It is interesting that the nib section is consistent on your pen. These variations add to the personality of the pen I suppose. The stock nib on my pen was un-plated stainless and looking at the image above and how much better the gold complements the brass I think I made the right choice in ordering a replacement gold nib. I will report on whether it is worth all the extra cash when I have received it and had a play around :-)

Hey,

just wondering if anyone with a brass sport could comment on the grip of the screw threads?

I'd better explain my question: I have several Kaweco's, including some vintage ones, but the AL Sport I have has several times become unscrewed in my pocket which makes me nervous about carrying it. Never had a problem with any of the plastic type barrels which seem to bite more on the threads. So I'd be interested if anyone had noticed if the brass version comes to a dead stop when tightening.

Cheers,

Richard

I've only had it a few days but the cap hasn't come loose in that time. I haven't experienced that problem with my AL Sport Raw either, and I've been toting that pen around for months.

If you mean the screw thread between the section and the barrel, then yes, I did notice a slight looseness on one occasion, soon after I'd replaced a cartridge. I assumed it was because I hadn't tightened the joint properly, but it may have worked loose on its own.

Richard

It comes to a dead stop after an increase in resistance on the last 1/10 of a turn. So far I have not had the cap come off unintentionally. I am back at work tomorrow so a more representative test can be made over the next week or so. It is a one and two eighths turn to remove the cap (if that is any help) To me it feels secure enough when tightened.

If you wanted to get really technical you would need to find the static coefficient of friction and compare it to plastic but of course there are other factors in terms of the force applied to the thread faces when the barrel is tightened ;-) As you correctly point out the fact that the cap comes to a dead stop suggests and under cut which limits the amount of torque applied to the thread. Without this the threads would be damaged when too much torque is applied.

Steve (Wirefox)

I like the looks of the new Brass Sport, but I don't like that it's so heavy. I don't have one, but weight is a huge turnoff for me. I like the AL Sport because it's solid, but not too heavy. The looks of the new one though are great!

"Oh deer."

A week or so later :-) I now have the 14k gold fine nib fitted. After using a steel nib this feels more like a medium but the smoothness is very much in evidence and it lays plenty of ink down on the page which I like very much. Thankfully the nib is not so smooth that there is nil resistance. You can feel the paper and I like that also. Is it worth ten times the price of a steel nib? probably not in terms of pure economics but as a writing experience the premium is worth paying.

First off I will show you the effect of a week of everyday use on the brass finish. It does develop a rather nice patina which gives the pen a aged look. And a word of warning; if you do not like the metallic smell of oxidised brass on your hands this is certainly not the pen for you. It does not bother me since I use a brass vaping mod to practice my only vice ;-)

http://i60.tinypic.com/fjp1n6.jpg

I then gave the pen a polish (not as much work as you may think)

http://i62.tinypic.com/2qiwjti.jpg

http://i60.tinypic.com/2wm2nf8.jpg

http://i57.tinypic.com/16a8sus.jpg

Edited by WireFox

Oh I forgot to mention; I dropped it, capped, from chest height onto a stone tiled floor...not on purpose you understand. But after sacking the juggler I can report that absolutely no damage was sustained.

Very nice! I can't decide whether to polish mine or leave it to tarnish naturally. The finish has darkened noticeably even in the short time I've owned it.

Does polishing reduce the smell at all?

I used Peet polish which does reduce the smell initially but I suspect the smell is generated by the moisture on our hands reacting with the metal. Applying something like Rylard military/marine grade brass lacquer may help and would keep the pen shiny too.