Five Pine-Y Sailor Greens

jasonchickerson

Sailor makes such fantastic inks, especially greens. Spurred by the generosity of our very awesome Claudia, I've put together a five-way comparison of pine green Sailor inks. You know, for those of you who need a reason to buy more. Er, right.

Thanks, C.!

Writing Samples

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac209/jasonchickerson/_FUJ0123.jpg

Lamy 2000 F/M on Clairfontaine Triomphe

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac209/jasonchickerson/_FUJ0124.jpg

Lamy 2000 F/M on Rhodia R

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac209/jasonchickerson/_FUJ0121.jpg

Lamy 2000 F/M on Tomoe River

The first thing I noticed in comparing these inks is how similar Tokiwa-matsu (current version) is to the discontinued Epinard. In writing, they are close enough to identical to my eye. Unless one plans some pointed pen calligraphy (see below) or other specialized use, owning one is enough. If I had to choose one, I'd pick Tokiwa. It is more lubricated and in a broad nib pen, which I didn't use here, will sheen more.

The real standout for me in this comparison was Maruzen Jade, which is gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. It's like someone asked J. Herbin to recreate Tokiwa/Epinard and this dreamy, muted wisp of an ink is what they came up with. I love it.

The two Kobes were also less saturated than Tokiwa/Epinard, but they differ in hue more than Jade. The Kobes also felt thinner and less lubricated than the other three inks here, making them less pleasant to write with.

Swatch Washes (three times fast!)

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac209/jasonchickerson/_FUJ0119.jpg

Sakura Koi Water Brush on Clairfontaine Triomphe

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac209/jasonchickerson/_FUJ0118.jpg

Sakura Koi Water Brush on Rhodia R

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac209/jasonchickerson/_FUJ0120.jpg

Sakura Koi Waterbrush on Stilman & Birn Gamma Series

I'll let the swatches stand for themselves, except to say that they all show very little water resistance. I would not expect any of these inks to hold a line for pen and ink washes. I'm so sure that I didn't bother trying.

And for those that are unfamiliar with Stilman & Birn, they make some of the best sketching journals around. This is cotton rag paper more akin to watercolor paper than stationary.

Chromatography

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac209/jasonchickerson/croma_FUJ0128.jpg

From left, Tokiwa-matsu, Epinard, Maruzen Jade, Kobe #1 and #49

Each chromatography strip received a single drop of ink. The larger diameter circle and apparent amount of ink in the Tokiwa-matsu suggests that ink has a higher amount of lubrication/surfactant.

Interestingly, though Tokiwa is more complex than the other inks here, all these inks save Kobe #49 utilize the same or very similar dyes in different combinations. #49 lacks the more waterfast dark blue dye that I suspect is responsible for sheen in the other inks.

Purty Writing (that's Texas twang, ya'll)

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac209/jasonchickerson/_FUJ0125-Edit.jpg

Zebra G nib (dipped) on Original Crown Mill Pure Cotton

Tokiwa-matsu has become one of my go-to inks for pointed pen calligraphy. It behaves extremely well, holds a fine hairline and works on many papers. The only downside of Tokiwa for calligraphy is that when this much ink is put down, the ink sheens so heavily red that it no longer appears green.

Maruzen Jade performs just as well as Tokiwa, sheens just a bit, and maintains its green hue. I would definitely add this to my calligraphy ink line-up.

The other inks simply don't have the lubrication/viscosity properties required for this type of calligraphy out of the bottle. Plus, though they lack saturation, they show almost black on the page.

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac209/jasonchickerson/_FUJ0126.jpg

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac209/jasonchickerson/_FUJ0126-2.jpg

Equally useable but Jade stays green, while Tokiwa sheens red

Conclusion

If I could pick one ink of the five shown here, it would be Tokiwa-matsu. I love the color, love the sheen, love the bottle. Luckily, it is one the only ink shown here that is available outside Japan without pricey importing through a third party.

I am taken with Maruzen Jade, as well. But it's long gone, I'm told.

Kobe inks are available through Cool Japan on Ebay ($20).

Edited by jasonchickerson

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jasonchickerson

• Cyber6

• migo984

• Millefleurs

AWESOME..... AWESOME REVIEW !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

And sorry to say... Maruzen Jade is long gone... Only 200 bottles were released and they were sold out on the first day (I think). :bawl: :bawl:

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

And sorry to say... Maruzen Jade is long gone... Only 200 bottles were released and they were sold out on the first day (I think). :bawl: :bawl:

Well, the whole sample is in my favorite pen. I guess I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

Apologies for my ignorance but is Maruzen Jade the same ink as Maruzen Athena Nihombashi Midori, or are they different? Thanks

Verba volant, scripta manent

Apologies for my ignorance but is Maruzen Jade the same ink as Maruzen Athena Nihombashi Midori, or are they different? Thanks

They are the same. :)

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Thanks for the comparison. I had been looking to try Epinard, but then it was discontinued. It appears that Tokiwa-Matsu *is* very similar -- on Clairefontaine, which is the whitest of the papers, Tokiwa-Matsu appears to be a smidge more yellow-tinged than Epinard (ditto for the washes)

But the chromatography suggests otherwise, which is interesting.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thanks for the comparison. I had been looking to try Epinard, but then it was discontinued. It appears that Tokiwa-Matsu *is* very similar -- on Clairefontaine, which is the whitest of the papers, Tokiwa-Matsu appears to be a smidge more yellow-tinged than Epinard (ditto for the washes)

But the chromatography suggests otherwise, which is interesting.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Indeed, Tokiwa is slightly more yellow-green in the washes, but this is not seen at all in the writing samples. I think what we're seeing is that grassy green (which leans yellow) dye in the chromatography that makes all the difference.

I believe that Tokiwa has at least 7 dyes vs 5 for Epinard.

And aside from all that, Tokiwa-matsu is the better-behaved ink (better flow, better lubrication).

Thanks for this work of art, er, I mean ink review, jasonchickerson. You have a great calligraphy hand, that a wise choice of pen and paper shows off to full effect.

Semper Faciens, Semper Discens

Thanks for this work of art, er, I mean ink review, jasonchickerson. You have a great calligraphy hand, that a wise choice of pen and paper shows off to full effect.

Thanks for the kind words. I love that Pure Cotton paper.

Wonderful comparison. I especially love the Purty Writing! One small note: the Kobes are available from cool-japan for $20, not $40. They're by far the cheapest of the Japan-exclusive Sailor inks!

Wonderful comparison. I especially love the Purty Writing! One small note: the Kobes are available from cool-japan for $20, not $40. They're by far the cheapest of the Japan-exclusive Sailor inks!

Great! I'll update my original post.

I love Tokiwa-Matsu but using the pens/nibs that I usually do, it doesn't look much different to the Epinard I also have. Think I'll wait until they both run out before replacing with whatever is available whenever that happens.

some time in the future I reckon...!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I am just going to start blaming you for all of my green ink purchases.

Fantastic review, thank you!

Amazing comparison. thank you.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

After having Maruzen Jade in my pen for a few days, I can definitively state that it outperforms Tokiwa-matsu on cheap paper. Too bad it's no more.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you.

I love those shades of inks, I could easily live with any one of those for awhile.

Be Happy, work at it. Namaste

Great comparison, thank you for your work! I have only Epinard. Was battled with the thoughts to get it, but was a good decision to buy it.