What Makes The 147 Travel Friendly

akshaydashrath

Hello,

I've wondered what makes the 147 travel friendly. I own a 145 and a 147 and the 147 is just brilliant, it refuses to leak on flights or during daily use. I've been searching around for any info that pertains to any technical differences between the 147 and other Mont Blanc pens that prevent the pen from leaking (I assume it might work similar to the Waterman Edson) but there is no documented evidence that its any different except for the cartridge converter.

Thanks.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Matlock

• niksch

• meiers

• hari317

I didn't realize it doesn't leak when the cartridge is plugged in during flights? I thought it's travel because it has the brass storage tube in the barrel and has a nice pouch that holds 6 refills as well. Learned something new today!

cheers

Wael

“Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis”

Just got a 147. I must admit this is a brilliant pen, very efficient. But I was ignoring that stretch in the pouch were to put cartridges. Thanks for information.

LYTH

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee402/LYTH1/031.jpg

Haven't people on here said in the past that the only pens that seem to leak on planes are piston fillers because of pressure differences?

The 147 was specifically made as a cartridge only pen because that makes it a good traveller. I have never had any problems travelling on planes with other cartridge or converter fill pens. :)

I agree that it's an exceptional pen. Easy to clean out, and just pop in a cartridge (that you can even refill yourself if you want different inks) and you're good to go. :)

Honestly, I never heard that cartridge fillers don't leak on planes? But I've only had a few cartridge refill pens, mostly when I was a kid in school. I did know you can squirt pretty good patterns on your schoolmates with them though :)

cheers

Wael

“Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis”

I didn't realize it doesn't leak when the cartridge is plugged in during flights? I thought it's travel because it has the brass storage tube in the barrel and has a nice pouch that holds 6 refills as well. Learned something new today!

cheers

Wael

I had the same thoughts as you. A good case which protects the pen and also provides easy access to lots of ink.

Having said the above, mine rarely gets used.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

I have purchased piston filled pens before that have actually been delivered to my doorstep without having been cleaned out! My question is: what happens if they use FedEx Airmail???? Would my package arrive as an inky mess!? I had never thought about the pressure differences in flight that would cause the piston filled pens to leak.

I have been taking fountain pens on flights for more than 35 years and never had a leak. That includes piston fillers, cartridge/converter fillers, pneumatic fillers, and even a lever filler. My main pen is usually a 149, with a 147 in my briefcase or backpack, but I have carried Pelikan 800's and 1000's, a Visconti Homo Sapiens, a Lamy Safari (for a trip to South Africa; no joke intended--I wanted an inexpensive pen that I would not mind losing), and a 1930's Sheaffer Balance. No leaks, no matter how much ink is left in the pen. I carry extra ink, but sometimes you need a refill when it is least convenient, and out comes the 147. The 147 case is nice, but I use a Montegrappa two-pen case when I travel. I keep extra cartridges in a plastic bag, not in case of leaks, but in case TSA gets nosy and wants to go through my bag.

I believe this is one of those "old wives tales" as I have never had a pen of any sort leak and I don't know of anyone who has. I am sure that someone will now come up with the evidence but it is something I have only ever read about. As to the 147 I find it is the pen I always take on holiday as I figure that a pen plus 7 spare cartridges should last out.

Peter

I still regret selling mine :mellow:

There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man that he does not know till he takes up a pen to write.

--William Makepeace Thackeray

Visit my blog to see the pens I have for sale

Paul's Pens

My lamy 2000 leaks on a flight every time without fail and so did a Pelikan 200. The 147 refuses to leak even if I have to occasionally run to catch a bus/train, I've seen leaks when using an Onoto or the Lamy, till date I've actually never had to clean my 147 cap out.

I used to have the same opinion about the "user-friendliness" of the MONT BLANC 147 Traveller.

Until the moment I faced a "crisis situation" . I was at the podium in a conference in Lisbon, when I realised that I had to change the cartrisge. In the tube there were two back-to-back cartridges... the empty one and a filled one. ... when I unscrewed and took out the tube for the change, I was full of ink due to left-overs in the empty cartridge which have also covered the whole tube... and all this in front of the audience... result... I sold it immediately...since that time, I prefer my precious and expensive two MONTEGRAPPA Extra 1930 rollerballs in turtle brown and black-and-whIte respectively...

I used to have the same opinion about the "user-friendliness" of the MONT BLANC 147 Traveller.

Until the moment I faced a "crisis situation" . I was at the podium in a conference in Lisbon, when I realised that I had to change the cartrisge. In the tube there were two back-to-back cartridges... the empty one and a filled one. ... when I unscrewed and took out the tube for the change, I was full of ink due to left-overs in the empty cartridge which have also covered the whole tube... and all this in front of the audience... result... I sold it immediately...since that time, I prefer my precious and expensive two MONTEGRAPPA Extra 1930 rollerballs in turtle brown and black-and-whIte respectively...

Thats interesting. On mine when the cartridge is empty it is empty, no left over ink. Never had that trouble in the 19 years that I have had my pen.

Peter

Mine 147 does not keep any ink when the cartridge is empty. I love it!

In some cases, a cartridge works better then converters. I think that's why we love it so much.

OK, this may seem like a silly question, but why would you put a spent cartridge back into the storage compartment?

That sounds like trouble waiting to happen.

Inked

A spent cartridge in a 147 serves to ensure the full, or 'in-use' cartridge, does not become disengaged from the feed assembly (nipple on the section).

If you don't do this, your fingers have a chance of getting 'inked'.

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

A spent cartridge in a 147 serves to ensure the full, or 'in-use' cartridge, does not become disengaged from the feed assembly (nipple on the section).

If you don't do this, your fingers have a chance of getting 'inked'.

Putting a spent cartridge in is just asking for trouble. Put a fresh one in, as intended. The whole idea of the 147 is that you have a good supply of fresh cartridges. In any case the design of the feed assembly ensures that the cartridge will not become desengaged even with no second cartridge.

Peter

If there was so much ink as you describe then you didn't have an empty cartridge in the pen. Empty implies, well empty! So where did so much ink come from?

Putting a spent cartridge in is just asking for trouble. Put a fresh one in, as intended. The whole idea of the 147 is that you have a good supply of fresh cartridges. In any case the design of the feed assembly ensures that the cartridge will not become desengaged even with no second cartridge.

Explain why a spent cartridge is asking for trouble. If it's empty, then what's that potential trouble?

I agree that the whole idea of the Traveller, with two new cartridges (one on the nipple and one in the carriage) and 6 spares in the holster is a great idea. What happens when you are at the end of your 7th cartridge and have no FULL spares remaining. Can you hope you get home from the airport in time, hmmm?

Unless you carry a pocketful of cartridges, and then what's the point? Get a good piston fill pen and a traveller's ink pot if you are worried about running out of ink.

And to further quote you, "In any case the design of the feed assembly ensures that the cartridge will not become desengaged (sic) even with no second cartridge.". How much would you bet on that? I wouldn't, and it costs nothing to put the empty cartridge with no ink back in the carrier.

Furthermore (yes, I said it), what's the worst that can happen if you have a drop and a half of ink in the presumably spent cartridge? You spend about 14 or less seconds with a paper towel cleaning out the detritus?

Trouble? Really. Maybe we should start a thread on Noodler's again.

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.