Modern Sheaffers Worth It?

Linkdeath

Vintage Balances are so plentiful & reasonably priced. I have marine green and Jade virtually u stained with excellent nibs that I spent less than $100 for.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron Z

• Linkdeath

• Freddy

• PDW

Top Posters In This Topic

I have modern sheaffers like agio, intensity, Sagaris which are bit old fashioned in design when compared to Lamy but are of good quality and most importantly write very well and have very good balance. I also have Taranis purchased immediately after availability in India for around $80 and like the most for its smoothness and balance.

I have new and old Sheaffer pens. They are different in their designs with some old ones produce again some years ago , almost all of them write nicely . Some of the modern ones are on the heavy side but nothing to avoid them. I use the modern ones knowing that I can replace them if they are stolen or they suffer a terrible accident .

Some of us have quite a sentimental attachment to our Non Nonsense pens, sub-par or no.

love the no nonsense

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

I have used two modern Sheaffers, a Prelude I purchased about 4 years ago and a Sagaris I just bought for my son. Both are quality pens that wrote flawlessly right out of the box. The Prelude has been completely trouble free, works great with any ink I have used in it, and has held up very well. I see no reason to expect anything less from the Sagaris. I consider them both to be well worth what they cost. At less than $70 retail, I consider the Sagaris one of the best new pens available in its price range.

Adam

Dayton, OH

It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings.

-- Prov 25:2

My first pen of my collection was a brand-new Agio, bought from Fountain Pen Hospital. It had been a regular, and sits on my desk regularly filled with one of one permanence or another. I couldn't say it is worse than either of my Snorkels, and in fact dies a good job of staying wet.

Parker, on the other hand...

I have several vintage Sheaffers, and in fact Sheaffers are by far my favorite vintage pens thus far. I carry a Snorkel Clipper with a Waverly fine nib daily, and love it.

I also have a VFM, Sheaffer's current bottom-end pen. Yes, it's likely made in China, and no, it doesn't feel like a vintage pen. That said, it *does* feel significantly better than the other entry-level Asian pens I own - Jinhao, Hero, Dollar, Ohto, etc. It would rank it alongside the Pilot Metropolitan in terms of "feel" - it's lightweight but solid. The only complaint I have is that it didn't come with a converter, and one that fit it was exceptionally difficult to find. I did find one though (a squeeze converter for a Kaweco Sport, for what it's worth).

If you want a modern Sheaffer, I wouldn't hesitate. They're good pens and reasonably priced.