Modern Sheaffers Worth It?

Linkdeath

So I've been looking into Sheaffer pens recently, since finding out I'll be getting my grandfather's old Tuckaway. I've heard that modern Sheaffers are made overseas and their quality is no better than any other mass-produced pen (amd worse than some). So I'm wondering, are there any fans of modern Sheaffer pens? Are they worth my time and money, or should I just stay with vintage pens and look at more "mainstream" (to us) pen manufacturers like Pilot, Lamy, Pelikan, etc.? Just curious what everyone else's perspective is on this. Thanks!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron Z

• Linkdeath

• Freddy

• PDW

Top Posters In This Topic

I would recommend a vintage Sheaffer over a new production one. On eBay you can get vintage ones much cheaper, for same or better quality. The new Sheaffers don't have the good quality, made in America feel. They do seem lower quality with the few I have tested, I would buy a vintage one on eBay, even a No Nonsense would be good. You can find them for less than $20 and you have countless options.

Nathaniel Harter
Sheaffer Pen Museum Volunteer
spmlogofpn.png

"Fascinating" - Mr. Spock

Fred

when a motivated group with a playbook of ugly tactics

spots a scientific finding they don't like, they can often

dominate public discussion in a way that replaces factual story with a false one

....................................J. Michael Bailey.......................................................

I would recommend a vintage Sheaffer over a new production one. On eBay you can get vintage ones much cheaper, for same or better quality. The new Sheaffers don't have the good quality, made in America feel. They do seem lower quality with the few I have tested, I would buy a vintage one on eBay, even a No Nonsense would be good. You can find them for less than $20 and you have countless options.

That is a rather broad brush to use. I can think of several vintage Sheaffers that fall into the sub-par level, including the No Nonsense, nibs for which have no tipping material. There are some that I won't even consider repairing because of the low quality. But for all that I can list an awful lot of pens that are classics and lead the field in design innovation and quality.

Within all brands one will find a range of models reflecting different levels of quality. The Prelude, Legacy, Valor, Taranis and Sagaris pens are still quite good. I own or have owned all but the Sagaris - and I've been tempted by that one. There are lower end models that fit the heavily chromed Asian production profile, but that is by no means universal.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

If you heard it on the internet it must be true.

Well, with no good pen stores near me, the internet is the only place I have to research this sort of thing! But I try to Wed out the questionable sources, which is why I asked you guys here!

That is a rather broad brush to use. I can think of several vintage Sheaffers that fall into the sub-par level, including the No Nonsense, nibs for which have no tipping material. There are some that I won't even consider repairing because of the low quality. But for all that I can list an awful lot of pens that are classics and lead the field in design innovation and quality.

Within all brands one will find a range of models reflecting different levels of quality. The Prelude, Legacy, Valor, Taranis and Sagaris pens are still quite good. I own or have owned all but the Sagaris - and I've been tempted by that one. There are lower end models that fit the heavily chromed Asian production profile, but that is by no means universal.

Thank you so much! This is exactly the sort of response I was looking for. The low-end stuff is nothing special, but the better stuff is still quite good. I award you +1 internets!

I do like my Taranis - unusual style that attracts attention from non-FP people. My partner has a Sagaris whose blue colour tempted her to get me to buy it for her. I also have some vintage Sheaffers.

A non-cartridge pen may well require service unless recently overhauled, but in my experience a cleaning out is all a cartridge Sheaffer that isn't actually broken will need, and they take current cartridges (and AFAIK current converters).

Edited by PDW

Based upon my distaste for heavy pens, modern sheaffers are all brass monstrosities. Avoid them like the plague.

Note to self: don't try to fix anything without the heat gun handy!

Based upon my distaste for heavy pens, modern sheaffers are all brass monstrosities. Avoid them like the plague.

Hmmm.... The Valor isn't brass. I don't think it even has a brass barrel liner like the Balance did. Big, but no brass. Prelude isn't big, neither is the Taranis, which is more the size of the classic Imperial. I always found the PFM to be too light, but I like the Legacy. Each to his own......

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

I can think of several vintage Sheaffers that fall into the sub-par level, including the No Nonsense, nibs for which have no tipping material. There are some that I won't even consider repairing because of the low quality.

Some of us have quite a sentimental attachment to our Non Nonsense pens, sub-par or no.

"Don't be humble, you're not that great." Golda Meir

I have had several vintage Sheaffers, mainly Touchdown fillers, that perfectly suit me. They are relatively easy to work on to replace a sac or an o-ring. The weight is often light, a plus in my opinion.

The later pens seem to be cartridge/converter pens. I didn't care for the Prelude, but it looked nice. Other modern C/C fillers have been a mixed bag, often requiring frequent cleaning to restore ink flow, because they dry up.

Initially I liked C/C pens based on experience with Montblanc. Others didn't keep the nib moist as well. The Touchdown fillers and some older lever fillers among the Sheaffers have been pretty good for me.

The NoNonsense pens often have beautiful colors. I liked the italic nibs. They are a low-use item, though, by which I mean that they get low usage from me. How often do you need an italic? They are cheap, and tipping probably isn't important on an occasional use italic. A lack of tipping would be an issue with something intended for daily use. I think many people collect NoNonsense pens as dustables, though.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I've got a ton of old Sheaffers and about five "modern" (from the past 5-10 years in my case) and I absolutely love them all. I've got two Intensities, a 100, and an Agio (which I think is about 10 years old or so), and I've never had to do anything to make them write correctly. All have great flow, take all types of inks equally well, are easy to clean, etc.

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

Some of us have quite a sentimental attachment to our Non Nonsense pens, sub-par or no.

I do to. I still have the one that I bought on my way to college in 1974, and a stainless steel one that I just bought.... and put a gold Balance nib into. They have a nice feel to them, and it's nice to be able to put a really good nib into one. But when discussing levels of nib quality the No Nonsense one must admit, though it can be nice writing, is close to the bottom of the Sheaffer hierarchy. There are some that are cheaper.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens

My personal experience with vintage Sheaffers is rather limited (NoNonsense, Imperials, their cartridge school pens and the cheap and dependable Fineline models), but I've been pleasantly surprised by the quality of the modern pens. They are made in China, yes, but as for any product, QC is everything - in Sheaffer's case, the QC seems to be good. I can vouch for the Sagaris and the Prelude, they are nice writers and are well built. If you like heavier pens, the 100 is also a good pen.

But when discussing levels of nib quality the No Nonsense one must admit, though it can be nice writing, is close to the bottom of the Sheaffer hierarchy.

This may not be due to the nibs not being tipped - look at the Esterbrook 1xxx and 2xxx series folded nibs which can be nice (until they wear out when they can be used as italics for a while!).

Edited by PDW

I wouldn't avoid modern Sheaffers by any means. Some are on the heavy side, true, but not abominably so (the 300 with the cap posted does, alas, exhibit some symptoms of abomination). The writing characteristics seem to me to be fairly consistent in Sheaffers from 1945 onwards-- individual pens may be divine or devilish, but the average is smooth writing with a relatively firm point. I haven't tried any of the current crop higher on the roster than the 300... but I certainly would like to.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

I have a Valor brought 10 years ago over the internet. It was made in Europe. It is one of the smoothest and broadest nib I have. The shape is a bit odd, but an excellent writer.

I was also given a Prelude by my colleague 2 years ago. The B nib smooth, but stiff. It is made in China (one can find older NOS in ebay made in the USA), though I think the quality is still very good. With proper care, it is almost indestructible.

Overall, I think the modern Sheaffer fountain pen are still very good.

I do have some older ones that was made in US, like a Balance in the 90s and an plastic Imperial in the 90s as well, as well as a Heritage II, of the expected high US quality.

I won the first production Legacy in a Pen World contest in 1995. Even though it was the first one, it wrote right out of the box and has never skipped a beat (I know, I know I shouldn't have inked it up but I have pens to use them).

If this is what you consider a modern Sheaffer, then I would have no worries. If you're talking about the overseas (with the exception of the Valor), I would look elsewhere.

the Danitrio Fellowship