Red Ink - Noodler's

THRobinson

I have a few fountain pens, but, most are empty because tend to dry out before I use them. I don't write as often as I use to.

I do have a pair of LAMY pens that I'm enjoying... a black one with Noodler's Black (Bulletproof) and a red LAMY with a sample of Noodler's Rattler Red Eel, which, I'm not liking as much. It's a nice ink, but not 'red' enough... dries too dark for me, not enough contrast between it and the black to stand out.

I'd like to get an ink that's almost the same colour as the pen itself. I saw a few reviews for Diamine Wild Strawberry, which seems more towards what I'm after.

Does Noodler's make a red ink similar to this colour?

LAMY Al Star (Limited Ed. Copper Orange) w/ Noodler's Apache Sunset

LAMY Safari (Black) w/ Noodler's Black (Bulletproof)

LAMY Safari (Red) w/ Noodler's Eel Rattler Red

Noodler's Ahab (Clear Demonstrator) Used for Testing Inks

Parker Urban (London Cab Black) w/ Diamine Red Dragon

Parker Reflex (Green Pearl) w/ J.Herbin's Poussiere de Lune

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• THRobinson

• drawline

• ac12

I was hoping for some 'from experience' suggestions... simply because I got the Noodler's Rattler Red Eel based on their sample swatch online, and it wasn't even remotely close. I even emailed to ask if sent the wrong one in error but, not the case.

Heck, that Wild Strawberry may not even be what I'm after since based on web images. :lol:

Guess what I need to do is find a logo or something with a standard, universally known colour (ie Coca-Cola) to reference.

I would, however, like a bottle of that Empire Red though... just for the bottle. :)

Actually the Rattlers Red on the Goulet site, doesn't look like what I have either... mine looks more like the Antietam, red but rusty... made a swatch and sent it to the seller who confirmed I had the correct ink.

I'm at work right now, and the monitor isn't as good as mine at home so... may simply be the screen.

Guess best I can say is, red like my LAMY pen, maybe a bit deeper/darker. If the Goulet swatches are accurate and my screen shows decent colour... Noodler's Red, may be what I am after.

EDIT - Oh, Goulet site has samples. May be the solution to my problem. Can also make some reviews of my own. Hopefully cheap shipping to Canada.

Edited by THRobinson

Disclaimer: I've never handled a red Safari, so I'm going by online pictures here.

Also, my experience with red inks is 95% Diamine. I've used Wild Strawberry, Poppy Red, Matador, Red Dragon, and Oxblood.

Wild Strawberry is nice and vibrant, but it does lean slightly orange. I don't think it would be a perfect match for the red Safari.

Poppy Red will probably be closer. It's also quite bright and vibrant, while being less orange than Wild Strawberry. It's a really nice bright red. One of my top choices to match your pen.

Matador would be my other top choice. I find it to be a true red, but not quite as bright as Poppy. One of my favorites of the red inks I've used.

Red Dragon is my favorite red ink, but is probably too dark to match the Red Safari. If you're going to order some samples, include one anyways. It's a beautiful ink that does vary in color quite a bit depending on what type of light you're in.

Oxblood is definitely too dark for your needs/tastes.

My only other experience with red ink is R&K Morinda. It's nice, but not as vibrant as the Diamine inks I talked about.

So many inks, so little time...

I was hoping for some 'from experience' suggestions... simply because I got the Noodler's Rattler Red Eel based on their sample swatch online, and it wasn't even remotely close. I even emailed to ask if sent the wrong one in error but, not the case.

Heck, that Wild Strawberry may not even be what I'm after since based on web images. :lol:

Guess what I need to do is find a logo or something with a standard, universally known colour (ie Coca-Cola) to reference.

I would, however, like a bottle of that Empire Red though... just for the bottle. :)

Actually the Rattlers Red on the Goulet site, doesn't look like what I have either... mine looks more like the Antietam, red but rusty... made a swatch and sent it to the seller who confirmed I had the correct ink.

I'm at work right now, and the monitor isn't as good as mine at home so... may simply be the screen.

Guess best I can say is, red like my LAMY pen, maybe a bit deeper/darker. If the Goulet swatches are accurate and my screen shows decent colour... Noodler's Red, may be what I am after.

EDIT - Oh, Goulet site has samples. May be the solution to my problem. Can also make some reviews of my own. Hopefully cheap shipping to Canada.

That's what reviews are for, look the ink from different pens and with different paper.

As for Rattler Red, I found it sort of blah and I felt cheated, right up until I had a pen stained from another ink. Rattler Red removed the stain. Now, I love Rattler Red.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

That's what reviews are for, look the ink from different pens and with different paper.

I've seen multiple reviews for the same ink and the colours are WAY off from one another... I started another thread about white balance as a result... can't look at the reviews and know how accurate the colours are. That's why I wanted a 'from experience' recommendation... someone who has used the ink and knows from their personal experience how close it is in colour.

Red I'm after I think would be close to a STOP sign... best I can think of that I think most people would know the colour of. Safari pen is a bit brighter than the stop sign, and I think as an ink would be too bright.

Stop Sign, or YouTube logo red.

Okay, that's way CRVs or Co-Razy Views are for. Choose an ink that you have and you know exactly what it looks like, now you can compare if it's been part of a CRV.

As for stop sign red - I'd offer to help, but out here, our signs fade so quickly that they look pink if they haven't been properly UV treated. I would think Diamine Poppy Red and Wild Strawberry would both be a little too orange, however, they are wonderful bright and cheerful in your face reds.

I have some reds inked up right now. How about if I send you a letter. PM me your address and you can see what's in my pens.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

You may want to check out Montblanc Corn Poppy Red. It's my favorite red so far.

http://inkymadness.tk/Montblanc/Corn%20Poppy%20Red.jpg

Waterman Audacious Red is also worth considering.

http://www.inkyreviews.tk/Waterman/Audacious%20Red/Swab.jpeg

Also, check out the swab database at http://inkymadness.tk and browse to see if you like anything.

Edited by musicman123

fpn_1434432647__fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

Check out my blog at Inks and Pens

You might consider Sheaffer Red...to my eyes, it's a true red like stop signs, Coke logo, etc.

OP--I've seen multiple reviews for the same ink and the colours are WAY off from one another... I started another thread about white balance as a result... can't look at the reviews and know how accurate the colours are.

Since you seem knowledgeable about your monitor correctly displaying color, I had a chat with someone at Goulet who reported they take extreme care to make certain their swatches display accurately. If the visitor's monitor is way off, then there's nothing they can do about that. If your monitor is correct, what you see on their site should be very close.

You might consider Sheaffer Red...to my eyes, it's a true red like stop signs, Coke logo, etc.

I haven't found that to be the case. It's a bit darker than I was expecting. Ditto for Diamine Matador.

For me, the closest to what it sounds like you want is Akkerman #19. But that's not as easy to get as some inks. I'm going to try a sample of Diamine Classic Red at some point (as a comparison).

I have a sample of Noodler's Empire Red, but haven't tried it. I'm expecting, though, for it to be leaning towards the pink side of the spectrum (a lot like De Atramentis Dante Alighieri/Ruby Red -- which I like a lot but understand that it's not really as red as what I was looking for). Like the OP, I wanted a red that was stop sign red. Fire Engine Red. Red like my first car (Dodge Omni in "Graphic Red") red....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Noodler's Tiannenmen, that's fairly close, or at least my bottle of it is. YMMV, so grab a sample if you can.

Edited by hot cocoa

Noodlers QSH is stop sign red. But dont buy it.

So, it's the right colour and right brand, but... don't buy it... curious. Is it poorer quality than the other Noodler inks? or not good in a LAMY pen?

I like the Noodler's Black, but in my LAMY I do tend to get some nib creep happening.

I picked up a bottle of this when I was up in Boston, not realizing what it was. It runs pink/magenta. The good part is that if you want something eye-searing, it fits the bill. The bad part is that it tends to feather.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Its the color our signs fade to within two days. Its beyond bright. However it feathers clogs and is one of the worst performing inks I own.

As for regular red, I haven't yet tried it but the regular blue and purple are stunning inks. Vibrant, fade resistant, non clogging, and great performance. We should also look st fox red.

Red to me, and I am someone who primarily has used exclusively reds for many years, you can not define like say black. Following the thread, none so far has given a definitive answer. Even one who uses a particular red can not absolutely define for you what the shade will look like in your pen and with whatever paper you use. I have a collection of almost 20 reds, some the same hue, some totally different from each other, still in the family of red. Yes, it is a hassle to find the one specifically you are seeking. Yet, for those of us whose quest is to either locate the perfect color red, collect nearly every hue of red, or just we love red, it is like perhaps an expensive wine, we would not ask someone else how it taste and then gulp it down, we would sip, savor and see for ourselves. Originally, the red being sought was not a stop light sign red, the examples of red were not near the color of a stoplight, The red being sought morphed and as a result, seems as if the suggestions being offered have also gone off the grid. Started out asking for something similar to Diamine strawberry.

Edited by fountainpenlady

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

Well... colour doesn't really depend on paper used or pen... I would assume when the manufacturer produces ink of a certain colour/shade, they have a way to check the consistency between batches by means other than using the same pen and pad of paper each time and eyeballing it. :D

Pen Ink is like house paint, oil paints, Pantone colours, or anything else colour based... sure the appearance changes depending on the use, but, there has to be a sort of 'baseline' to measure the colour by.

I don't plan to use the ink in the same pen until the bottle is gone, or on the same paper, so I know it will change slightly between uses. I'm just looking for something is 'in general' stop sign red.

I have the Noodler's Red Rattler, which is nice, but too dark... I want something that's more a clean red, and more contrast between it and black. The Rattler when dried, just doesn't stand out as much as I'd like.

I'd like to stick with Noodler's if possible.

Edited by THRobinson